Beefing up the memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce_loco

Still Fresh
Hi

like most embedded linux devices, it should be possible to beef the memory by replacing the chips with compatible chips of higher capacity right?
I know this is called a risky operation and requires a steady hand and a good soldering iron, but is it doable?
Also, would the bootloader+kernel support it would require recompiling?

Nope. I forget the exact details but it's been brought up multiple times before and it's definitely not something you can do by hand.

In fact you risk being drawn and quartered just for suggestion that 128mb ram might not be enough. :p

Well... :wink:

I didn't want to go that way but it is linux, and it requires memory.
Maybe with a bit of :ph34r: style and it can be done

No, it really can't be done. The RAM is integrated into the system in such a way that it's effectively impossible for it to be replaced or added to.

Pffft~ - it it needed more memory, it'd have more memory.

I can't be buggered looking for one of the various posts, but from what I recall the RAM is very closely associated with the CPU, physically, and there was talk somewhere of someone capable needing a $30,000 programmable CNC machine to be able to resolder the chips properly.

But hey, if you wanna have a crack with your "steady hand" and some :ph34r: style then go right ahead. You should be able to order your replacement early 2009.

bruce_loco said:
Well... :wink:

I didn't want to go that way but it is linux, and it requires memory.
Maybe with a bit of :ph34r: style and it can be done
It's Linux, but it doesn't require as much memory as x86 Linux. The experience from the Nokia N8x0 tablets is that 128MB is sufficient, although 256MB would be nice sometimes. 128MB works fine for most cases on the N8x0, even with lots of browser windows up at the same time (very much depending on how much imagery there is on each page, of course). For the occasional problematic case there is always the swap file option, and on the N8x0 series this works very well indeed, particularly when using a fast card.

I haven't seen the MB, but I would imagine it would be a high-density BGA device. You would need a very steady hand with a soldering iron :lol:

whats exactly the reason why it does not need that much memory as x86 linux?
on some video i saw the full blown ubuntu desktop just needs about 60 mb of ram.

my gentoo x86 setup takes more with just fvwm loaded... (and my kernel tweaked and loads only what is absolutely necessary)

senatus said:
I haven't seen the MB, but I would imagine it would be a high-density BGA device. You would need a very steady hand with a soldering iron :lol:
The OMAP SoC and RAM are sandwiched together in what is called a package-on-package (PoP) configuration. This conjunction is performed at a level that requires a microscope to even see, and is a one time deal. Once the pieces are fitted together, they are encased in plastic and are, for all intents and purposes, a single unit. That single piece is then attached to the board via a high density BGA interface (seen here).

At best, you would need a BGA rework station to remove the current OMAP/RAM PoP, and you would need to completely replace the whole PoP assembly. When the first Pandora boards were built, compatible 256MB SDRAM packages were not available in commercial quantities. I do not know if TI is even now shipping OMAP 3530 chips with 256MB packages installed.

So no. As far as anybody here is concerned, there is no reasonable way to upgrade the RAM on a Pandora board, and there never will be.

Linux on the Pandora should have very small amounts of memory overhead, as any unneeded programs and services will be suspended to disk when a highly memory-intensive app starts up. Nobody knows how much Ubuntu will use, as it can and will be optimized to perform better on the Pandora.

Questions answered, lock.

(If there are any more questions, fire off a PM.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back