Beagleboard And Pandora

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoppe

will the pandora apps/games/emulators and the beagleboard apps/games/emulators be cross-compatible?
if yes, can they run without recompiling, modifying or anything like that?
where i can find beagleboard apps/games/emulators?

(feel free to flame me poisonedv)

ot: btw i liked your new avatar poisonedv

zoppe said:
will the pandora apps/games/emulators and the beagleboard apps/games/emulators be cross-compatible?
if yes, can they run without recompiling, modifying or anything like that?
where i can find beagleboard apps/games/emulators?

Please don't ask on the 2 forums. please choose one. if you dont get answer in a resonable time-frame then post it on the other....

zoppe said:

It sounds like someone has a little crush. :O

Seriously though; games should be cross compatible, it's just a matter of making sure you have all the dependencies present. The only particular concern is that the OpenGL driver will not be freely available, so you will not be able to get hardware acceleration for games on the Beagleboard unless you can somehow obtain a copy of the driver.

i dont know what is the most used forum.... and i've read something about the community being split, so i don't know where to post, that's why i posted in both. sorry for the inconvenient... :(

mods, plz kill this thread.

CyruzDraxs said:
zoppe said:

It sounds like someone has a little crush. :O
OWNED
CyruzDraxs said:
Seriously though; games should be cross compatible, it's just a matter of making sure you have all the dependencies present. The only particular concern is that the OpenGL driver will not be freely available, so you will not be able to get hardware acceleration for games on the Beagleboard unless you can somehow obtain a copy of the driver.
Thanks for the answer.
owned me btw :p :D

:oops: PoisonedV :oops:
Lol

who cares if he asks on two forums?

i'd post on both forums too if it struck me to do so.

i could just as easily tell you to only read one forum.

The Pandora should come with a pre-compiled binary driver that supports OpenGL, that driver can easilly be copied to the Beagleboard or any other ARM devices employing the same video card.

Wonslung said:
who cares if he asks on two forums?

i'd post on both forums too if it struck me to do so.

i could just as easily tell you to only read one forum.

The people on the forums might care if they constantly have to read the same things twice. People are likely to either ignore your posts and not bother to answer, or choose to ignore an entire forum. No one wins. Why not post on one, leave it a few days and then post on the other if you don't get a decent answer?

Etinin said:
The Pandora should come with a pre-compiled binary driver that supports OpenGL, that driver can easilly be copied to the Beagleboard or any other ARM devices employing the same video card.
But can it be done legally?

CyruzDraxs said:
Of course. The binary driver interfaces to the Linux kernel through an open source go-between driver. This go-between can be recompiled for inclusion in other distros or even for other systems, and brings the binary blob into compliance with the GPL.

Chip said:
CyruzDraxs said:
Of course. The binary driver interfaces to the Linux kernel through an open source go-between driver. This go-between can be recompiled for inclusion in other distros or even for other systems, and brings the binary blob into compliance with the GPL.

Ah so we have what amounts to dead weight code ( open source go-between) just to satisfy somebody's ego (Stallman's in this case )...

Lovely.

warmi said:
Chip said:
CyruzDraxs said:

Ah so we have what amounts to dead weight code ( open source go-between) just to satisfy somebody's ego (Stallman's in this case )...

Lovely.
Well, no.

It's to satisfy legitimate legal requirements, and to enable usage on other devices and OSes. Would you rather the driver be entirely proprietary? "Sure, take this binary, you can run it on a stock Pandora, but if you want to run it on a Beagleboard too you'll have to pay us another $250. And don't even think about recompiling your kernel, or our lawyers will be seeing you."

warmi said:

Lovely.
Or... we're forced to make do with this because someone senselessly refuses to open their driver made for what was intended to be an open platform (GNU/Linux). This go-between loophole was exactly what Stallman didn't want.

shmuck said:
warmi said:

Lovely.
Or... we're forced to make do with this because someone senselessly refuses to open their driver made for what was intended to be an open platform (GNU/Linux). This go-between loophole was exactly what Stallman didn't want.

Linux is not an open platform - it is GNU platform - an open source, restrictive platform with its own very unique set of restrictions.
Having Microsoft lawyers going after me because of financial loss or GNU lawyers because of the perceived lack of conformity to their social agenda makes no difference to me.

warmi said:
Linux is not an open platform - it is GNU platform - an open source, restrictive platform with its own very unique set of restrictions.
Having Microsoft lawyers going after me because of financial loss or GNU lawyers because of the perceived lack of conformity to their social agenda makes no difference to me.
It is an open platform. The restrictions are in place to ensure that it remains so. "Open" does not mean "completely unrestricted" - complete lack of any restriction is anarchy, which quickly leads to rule by force, whether we're talking about the politics of software or nations.

Tom said:
warmi said:
It is an open platform. The restrictions are in place to ensure that it remains so. "Open" does not mean "completely unrestricted" - complete lack of any restriction is anarchy, which quickly leads to rule by force, whether we're talking about the politics of software or nations.
If ever the free institutions of America are destroyed, that event may be attributed to the unlimited authority of the majority, and oblige them to have recourse to physical force. Anarchy will then be the result
I want to tell you about anarchism
Conclusion
Guess what?
I want to tell you about anarchism because I think that it is well that you should know all about it

Tom said:
warmi said:

Oh please.... we are talking here about letting other people do what they want with your code/idea , Stallman and his utopian ideas notwithstanding.

Frankly, there are plenty of truly open platforms and products (BSD,Apache comes to mind) ... as far as I can tell these folks seem to be pretty civilized, and furthermore they seem to be interested in making sure that their stuff is useful to all sorts of people ... not just "the believers"

warmi said:
Chip said:
The binary driver interfaces to the Linux kernel through an open source go-between driver. This go-between can be recompiled for inclusion in other distros or even for other systems, and brings the binary blob into compliance with the GPL.

Lovely.
No ... it's to satisfy the owners of the driver. If they won't make their code public and only distribute a binary blob ... then there has to be code that communicates to the blob.

Open Source Ideology doesn't enter into it. Linux could be public domain and Stallman could be on the Moon and it wouldn't help the fact that a small bit of code has to exist to communicate between the Linux kernel and any binary drivers.

OP asked for this thread to be killed, and another thread already exists on GP32X. Also, the discussion is off-topic at this point. I think that's reason enough for it to be locked.

The thread on GP32X is still open in case anyone is interested in continuing this conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back