Beagleboard And Pandora.

Zoppe

will the pandora apps/games/emulators and the beagleboard apps/games/emulators be cross-compatible?
if yes, can they run without recompiling, modifying or anything like that?
where i can find beagleboard apps/games/emulators?

been mentioned before from CraigX. Try using search. the pandora is based from the Beagle Board. but I don't know the answer to the last one. It runs Angstrom, so look in their repository

Zoppe said:
will the pandora apps/games/emulators and the beagleboard apps/games/emulators be cross-compatible?
if yes, can they run without recompiling, modifying or anything like that?

1) Same CPU(arch) & Same OS so the answer is YES.
2) see ^^
3) dont know.

BTW, poisonedV only flame when their question have been asked to death (and obviouly answer to death too). but if I'm wrong feel free to flame me too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely there's a slight possibility of issues despite identical CPUs - e.g. if the gaming controls on Pandora behave as a gamepad, but the program in question is designed only with cursor keys in mind, or say, if it forces the resolution to 1024x768 on loading - or simply dynamically links a non-standard library.

That said, I'd guess the chances of these scenarios arising are fairly slim, possibly except for the last one.

The only thing to worry about is the SGX drivers. They are not freely available, so you might not be able to get them for the Beagleboard. (Not legally anyway...)

Zoppe said:
http://beagleboard.org/project

Bear in mind the Beagleboard community seems to be a different sort of community to the Pandora / GP people - it mostly seems to be involved in porting low level stuff rather than creating games and porting emulators.

I haven't dug up the facts, but to me it seems the Beagleboard just is the first Pandora prototype. What the Pandora crew did is minimize the size and add peripherals, where the Beagleboard is just the board and nothing else. Even the websites of the projects seem alike, so it wouldn't surprise me if alot of people are common in both projects.

Squirrel61 said:
I haven't dug up the facts, but to me it seems the Beagleboard just is the first Pandora prototype.
don't go saying that around the beagleboard crew :p

PoisonedV said:
Squirrel61 said:
I haven't dug up the facts, but to me it seems the Beagleboard just is the first Pandora prototype.
don't go saying that around the beagleboard crew :p

Haha, nice :lol:

There is a difference between what things were based from, and what they are now. It is meant to be a small not-power-hungry computer which can be used in anybody's home sometime in the future

I guess that would depend on whether anyone could tell what was powering the kiosks, and whether they knew what it could do...

(That's a great use for the BeagleBoard, by the way.)

Sphinxter said:
I was thinking the beagle would be a good fit for some kiosks I have to build, would compatibility with all these games and apps make them too hot a target for theft?
Any more so then your standard PC that probably costs ~ $150 too ? Doubt it. Monetary value is a far bigger factor when you're talking about theft.

I am sure that they can have like mass produced LCD or CRT screens along with a trackball and an embedded keyboard. Might open some things for linux.

Sphinxter said:
I was thinking the beagle would be a good fit for some kiosks I have to build, would compatibility with all these games and apps make them too hot a target for theft?
Oh HOT DAMN! i bet this baby has a beagleboard inside it, the OMAP-based project sponsored by TI! I better steal it!

PoisonedV said:
Sphinxter said:
Oh HOT DAMN! i bet this baby has a beagleboard inside it, the OMAP-based project sponsored by TI! I better steal it!

sigged :D

Back