Bbc Emulation Experiment

Now I'm a bit older and maybe wiser (maybe not) I embrace all 8bit oldskool systems

Back in the day I wouldn't though.

BBC Mircro was adopted by UK primary schools in a big way which is where I first met it.

Speccy and amstrads where the 8-bit equivalents of the ST and Amiga's in terms of home PCs.

I only remember one kid who had a BBC Micro as at home and he really struggled to find games where as speccy and amstrad kids had tons.

I think the 8-bit PC emus look really good on the GP32 screen and when passers by hear a beeping and buzzing that they remember from when they were kids it just gets all the nostalgic juices flowing.

AAAAAAAAAh them were the days.

.....and these are too now :)

I would't trade E L I T E on the BBC for any other 8 bit version. I worked in a computer shop at the time Elite was released and I was paid to play it for 7 hours a day :) Customers used to stop, stare and gawp only to walk out of the shop with a BBC and a copy of elite after 20 minutes of tuition. I sold loads of the things like that.

I was gutted when they released the c64 version and it was sooooo slow. Mind you it was still excellent and I still reached Elite status on it. I fact I reached elite on the BBC and the Speccy versions too. When the Amiga version came out I reached Elite on that as well (Yes I was Obsessed LOL) I once worked out I had destroyed over 12,000 enemy ships in total. Sad or what hehe :blink:

damn..................i aint seen my dads bbc in AGES, its in the atic gathering dust......

damn them flopy disks are huge, n them acorn tapes have the worst music on them :p lol j/k

The BBC Floppy Disks were actually floppy as well.

Does anybody remember the name of a BBC platform game in which you played as 3 or 4 different characters one of which was a monkey?

Last edited by a moderator:
Speccy and amstrads where the 8-bit equivalents of the ST and Amiga's in terms of home PCs.

Speccy and Amstrads? Are you on crack? Surely you mean Speccy and c64! Both these machines were the common ones that caused many arguments in the playground. The Amstrad was no where near as popular as these machines.

By the way I am not biased, I never had a speccy or c64, I was lucky enough to get an Atari 800. Which I am still pleased my granddad got me, even now.

As for the Beeb, lets wait for the proper gp32 emu rather than the old emu within an emu trick.

What's BBC games anyways never heard of them probaby the reason they don't work on the GP32 is they haven't supplied an emulator for it yet.

What's BBC games anyways never heard of them probaby the reason they don't work on the GP32 is they haven't supplied an emulator for it yet.

Errr duhhhh !! We know no BBC games will work on the GP32 as there isnt an emulator, people are talking about wishing there was an emulator.

As for never hearing about it, you've heard of the Sinclair Spectrum, Amstrad, and C64 havent you ? In the UK (not sure about Europe) the BBC B was another computer which was quite popular back in the early 80's and was the choice of computer at most schools in the UK

I would't trade E L I T E on the BBC for any other 8 bit version. I worked in a computer shop at the time Elite was released and I was paid to play it for 7 hours a day :) Customers used to stop, stare and gawp only to walk out of the shop with a BBC and a copy of elite after 20 minutes of tuition. I sold loads of the things like that.

Get or download a trial version of X - Beyond the Frontier i think its called.

Check out http://www.egosoft.com/

Those graphics are the actual game, theyre not cut scenes etc. Its basically Elite with many more features, open ended game but also with a huge main mission as well. You can do the main mission or accept smaller missions, create mining stations etc etc.

If you like Elite then this game is a dream for the PC. Well well worth getting

I loved my beeb, and it is in fact the only emulator I have on my laptop. There's some great games on the machine and unlike the C64 and Speccy where games were released for both, there's a lot of platform-exclusive games. Let's see it as the Gamecube alongside the XBox and PS2 :)

Here's a link with some good articles about the software companies, and an interesting Lost & Found section:
www.stairwaytohell.co.uk

I would't trade  E L I T E  on the BBC for any other 8 bit version. I worked in a computer shop at the time Elite was released and I was paid to play it for 7 hours a day :) Customers used to stop, stare and gawp only to walk out of the shop with a BBC and a copy of elite after 20 minutes of tuition. I sold loads of the things like that.

Get or download a trial version of X - Beyond the Frontier i think its called.

Check out http://www.egosoft.com/

Those graphics are the actual game, theyre not cut scenes etc. Its basically Elite with many more features, open ended game but also with a huge main mission as well. You can do the main mission or accept smaller missions, create mining stations etc etc.

If you like Elite then this game is a dream for the PC. Well well worth getting

Cheers for the info matey.

/Makes a note to download this tonight when I get home from work :)

Heheh - I think I've actually got a copy of Granny's Garden, believe it or not. Still on 5 1/4 inch disk formatted for the BBC, but quite possibly there - simply because I was given all my primary school's BBC equipment when they upgraded.

Now I just need a way to transfer it to a PC in an emulator compatible format...

this elite?
retro.png

menu.png

Back