Battery Power!

Sadako

Website
Visit site
Thank you for reading my first post on this site, if the topic has been brought up before, pardon me for not searching, so busy! :huh: Anyway..this is a question about battery life on the GP32...I heard that it can be a ridiculous 2 hours if you overclock it to 166mhz and have the front-light on. :lol: Plus, I have not seen a AC adaptor for the GP32, which is a MAJOR problem for us who just want to make games for the GP32, and have to waste battery life testing our games! DON'T YOU THINK SO TOO!? :angry: So mad at that Korean company for not including an AC adaptor..! :angry:

i use rechargable batteries and get anything from 3-6 hours play time - depending if im overclocking or not

cheers
gary

Really? I am worried that if I overclock my GP32, that my battery time will be so short..! Also, I am worried about the front light too, I mean, I have lots of light where I am, so I did not really need it..! Maybe it would come in handy on a plane or something...but I still think the GP32 should come with a AC adaptor..

hm iam sure my rechargeables (2200mah nimh) hold longer than 5 hours with flu on and overclockd, at the moment i change they max. evry two days but dont play so much

You can get a generic AC adaptor from somewhere like GBAX to power your GP32 from the mains instead of the batteries. I use one for development that I got from my local electronics shop. If you don't know alot about electronics however, I'd buy one from GBAX to ensure you have the right one.

Oh, well I am not that experience in electronics..I admit. Anyway, I thought you were not allowed to put in rechargeable batteries? I thought it messed up the connectors or something like that,... thank you for the help about the AC adaptor, I will buy one soon!

Squidge posted on May 17 2004 at 12:32 PM said:
You can get a generic AC adaptor from somewhere like GBAX to power your GP32 from the mains instead of the batteries. I use one for development that I got from my local electronics shop. If you don't know alot about electronics however, I'd buy one from GBAX to ensure you have the right one.

I bought one from GBAX and they said it was the wrong one and cancelled the order :p

Don't ask me why! Doing okay on batteries though, only needed two sets so far...

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge posted on May 17 2004 at 01:32 PM said:
NO NO NO!
I ordered one and the nice lady working there rang me and said that it won't work on the GP32, before refunding my account. Go to Maplins instead, and take your GP32 with you. ;)

Sadako posted on May 17 2004 at 03:24 PM said:
I have not heard of Maplins, is that some sort of food company?
No, it is an electronic and computer company in the UK. Where are you from?

yup, you can get adapters from anyhere. I got mine free from work as someone bought it back faulty but it worked :D . Just match the voltage and the connector size and go. I have found though that with my 2400Mah batteries that my gp only lasts about 3 hours with the backlight on and overclocked to 166 but hey i can't complain.

I got a universal wall-socket ac adapter and it has been causing some strange wavy-screen interference. I have another one for my car and it works just fine. Is the wavy screen common or did I just buy a piece of junk adapter?

I'm not sure, I'm sorry. Maybe you bought a cheap adapter, and the voltage was wrong, causing the screen to over-power, causing flickering? Try not to permantly damage your GP32!

OgrEater posted on May 18 2004 at 03:50 AM said:
I appreciate the concern, but the effect is hardly noticable. It made me nervous at first but I have used it so much with no ill after-effects that I think its safe.
The adapter is most likely a poor quality one giving you too much ripple in the output causing this effect. Adapters need to convert AC sine waves to flat DC and cheap ones don't do a very good job of smoothing out the sine wave, thus giving this fluctuation. You probably won't damage the unit as long as the peak voltages don't exceed 3V.

Back