Battery Monitor

Protoss

Website
eatsleepgame.com
Anyone know if a piece of software could be developed that would show the amount of battery life left? I know the Palms have this ability, and I found it very handy. Is the Palm built with this feature somehow? Or has no one figured out a way to do this yet?

Thnx, Protoss

There is a mod that you can do developed by rob brown but there's no software that uses it other than svorbis and an unreleased gpdoom version.

If you feel the need to do the mod though, pop over to cobbleware for info/contact info.

Well I guess I can see what makes the Palm softwares monitor the batteries, maybe I can develop something for the GP (fat chance :p )
Err...Just did some research, ain't that easy.

Yes, the GP32 was apparently never designed with battery meter reading in mind, so there is no function in the BIOS to get it, and no way of measuring it. Sorry. It would be really useful, but it's not implemented. Hell, even the Gameboy didn't have one. You used to check the POWER light and see if it faded away. Similarly, if your GP32 screen starts flickering, your battery's kaputt.

Dozer posted on Jul 30 2004 at 01:49 PM said:
There is a mod that you can do developed by rob brown but there's no software that uses it other than svorbis and an unreleased gpdoom version.

If you feel the need to do the mod though, pop over to cobbleware for info/contact info.
there is an unreleased gpdoom
that means he is still working on it
sweet

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell, even the Gameboy didn't have one. You used to check the POWER light and see if it faded away.

The Gameboy LED changed from Green (New) to Yellow to Orange to Red (Almost Dead). This was a feature even in Gameboy Mono to my knowledge. Wouldn't this constitute something like a battery meter? Or could we simply hook up whatever type of LED the Gameboy is using to get a similiar effect?

Thats all we really need...Is that what you were talking about Dozer? Mod the LED to change colors? Or was it a hardware mod to make the GP capable of doing this?

Thnx, Protoss

diablo2 posted on Jul 31 2004 at 03:26 AM said:
Dozer posted on Jul 30 2004 at 01:49 PM said:

there is an unreleased gpdoom
that means he is still working on it
sweet
He's been working on it for ages... hence the release relatively lately. This version with the battery monitor won't be released I expect though because nobody has this mod done. It's just for his own personal use.

generalnmx posted on Jul 31 2004 at 03:33 AM said:
Hell, even the Gameboy didn't have one. You used to check the POWER light and see if it faded away.

The Gameboy LED changed from Green (New) to Yellow to Orange to Red (Almost Dead). This was a feature even in Gameboy Mono to my knowledge. Wouldn't this constitute something like a battery meter? Or could we simply hook up whatever type of LED the Gameboy is using to get a similiar effect?
problem is: GBA has 2 leds built in ( I opened up my GBA). A green one and a red one. As soon as your battery runs dry, the green led goes out, and the red LED turn on. They use some sort of plastic that always outputs the light through the same "hole" (comparable to Glassfibre)

I was searching thru the pages and pages of search results for 'battery mod', and came across a topic where someone brought up the idea of a device that plugs into the EXT. Port and reads the battery life. Has anyone tried this? Any success?

Thnx, Protoss

Back