Battery Issue

RobFord

Hello All

I have had a little issue with the battery on this fantastic device and was just wanting others opinions and advice.

I have had my Panda for over a year now and am loving this wonder. On Thrsday I had my first holiday abroad with the Panda and was taking it on a Plane. All good I hear you say, but something happened that made me worry slightly.

About halfway through the flight I noticed that the battery cover was not flush with the bottom of the unit, after further investigation I noticed that the battery had swolen slightly, enough to break one of the tabs on the battery cover.

I am thinking of leaving the battery here in Sweden and pickin up a replacement when I get back to the UK.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this while taking their Pandas abroad and what do people think about this?

Any sounding from the OP team would be good.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Rob

This is common with LiPO batteries if they are left on the charger for long periods of time, it's generally best to charge it until it's full and then disconnect the charger.. A few other people have reported this issue.

I mean I left it on the charger for a day without issues.. just if you do it for longer it may cause this swelling over time.

I would definitely replace the battery, because it could be a dangerous to keep it around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Trashy,

I have definitely not left this battery on charge for an extended period of time. The swelling only happened when I was actually on the plane, it then went back to normal when we landed.

Oh that is Bizarre... I know these type of batteries are liked because they can be molded in any shape to fit the need.. so perhaps the material could expand in a pressurized cabin..

Well, everything that is insulated from the air sorounding it will blow up a little on a plane, as the air pressure is lower.

Did you ever notice the bulging lid of your yoghurt pot when they serve it on a plane?

Yep, except a lipo battery is slightly more volatile than a pot of yogurt.

Back