Battery Issues

OneEighteen

Still Fresh
So i got my pandroa yesterday *yay*

And i charged it fully and got everything setup and every thing was fine i used it a ton and by the end of the night it was about 93-95% today when i got home from work i played it a ton more till it was about 85% and i noticed that the battery cover wasent clicked in all the way so i decided to inspect it by shutting down and removing the battery cover and battery upon inspection it seemed that it it just needed to be clicked in by hand when i started it up to jump back into my game i noticed that the battery level was now 0% for some reason so i plugged it in and now its charging

Is it normal to lose 80% + for removing the battery for less than 5 mins?

Do i have a defective battery?

Sorry for the runon sentence :) .,.,.,.

Any help would be highly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Initial charging time for the FIRST time should be 10 hours solid  hooked up to the mains, this determines maximum battery capacity for all future charges. Batteries do lose capacity over time but very slowly. 

So as long as you gave your battery an uninterrupted 10 hours of charging the first time it was charged, you should be fine.

If you've removed the battery its also possible the pandora is misreading the amount of charge within your battery, its possible to get super accurate battery readings with the System Information PND available here: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=sysinfo.wb

Initial charging time for the FIRST time should be 10 hours solid  hooked up to the mains, this determines maximum battery capacity for all future charges.
And this is BS or very close to. Not that it is not a good idea to do a full charge to start with, but it is not like you'll have a 3000mAh battery if you charge it from n% (n = roughly 40% minus self-discharge over time, factory charge) to 75%, use a minute and then try to charge to full...

When it read 0% i put it up for charge and now its at 25% and it wont charge any more it stops chargIng as if its fully charged (red light turns off)

Is there any to make the pandora properly read the battery info?

Im going to get that app to check the actual charge of the battery and i will report back

Initial charging time for the FIRST time should be 10 hours solid  hooked up to the mains, this determines maximum battery capacity for all future charges.
And this is BS or very close to. Not that it is not a good idea to do a full charge to start with, but it is not like you'll have a 3000mAh battery if you charge it from n% (n = roughly 40% minus self-discharge over time, factory charge) to 75%, use a minute and then try to charge to full...
Exactly.  Lithium Polymer and Lithium Ions do not have this limitation. 

You do not have to fully charge it the first time or even every time. 

I ran into a crazy issue on one Open Pandora Rebirth in which one of the prongs that connects to the battery was bent out of place and was slightly lower than the other two prongs.  The battery wouldn't charge in this unit beyond 80% and would drop off quick.  Never sold that bugger, use it for a review unit. 

I have seen this in my Pandora too , make sure battery is in all the way against the wall (opposite of the stylist )

if I don't put my battery in this way it will read little or no charge, even when battery is full..  Bud

Even the system info might show weird things if the fuel gauge is mis-set. But current and voltage measurements should be good always. If you're very near 4.2V and < +100mA (when charging - re-plug charger if needed) it is very close to full. If you're sure it is full, maybe try shutting down the pandora (unplug your charger), removing the battery, waiting a few seconds, and firmly inserting the battery - the pandora will boot when you insert the battery, and maybe it will know better... If that doesnt help, maybe somebody else will have a better idea on the forums (draining below 0% (cancel the shutdown) and then re-charging to full could help, but takes ages and I'd recommend you watch the voltage when draining, stop before or at 3.0V and charge... (the pandora will power off at 2.7V and that is already quite close to dangerously low voltage for this type of battery))). (Too many parentheses, I know.)

before you call BS read the manual people, relating to first charge it states the following: 

"Fully charge your Pandora before disconnecting it from the wall charger. This can improve the lifetime of your battery. To charge the Pandora, insert the power cable end in the Pandora and the other end into your wall socket, then wait about 4 hours to reach 100%." 

so i got the number of hours a lil wrong, 4 and 10 are similar numbers

^ "This can improve the lifetime of your battery." is very different from "this determines maximum battery capacity for all future charges."

Well now i feel stupid i reseated the battery exactly as how bud said and now its reading correctly (100%) thanks bud!

Now my last question is while the battery was misaligned i charged it from 0%-25% for a hour untill it wouldent charge any more by doing this have i damaged the battery?

A few hours (or even a day) of attempting to charge it wont damage anything - it will never overvolt it (or anything really dangerous).

Note: way back when the firmware didnt properly cut the charge, there were a few cases of ballooned batteries by users (some developers) who had their pandora on a constant charge for many months, but that is a thing of the past now.

When it read 0% i put it up for charge and now its at 25% and it wont charge any more it stops chargIng as if its fully charged (red light turns off)
And thus we learn why fully charging a new lithium battery before use is not "bunk". It has absolutely nothing to do with the battery, everything to do with the fuel gauge. The BQ chip is now confused as to how much power the battery can actually hold.
Something simple that should fix it: charge it completely until it naturally stops charging (around 25% you said, the red LED should shut off) and then remove the battery for 10 minutes. When you put the batter back, it should recalibrate based on the battery voltage and start reporting 100%.

If that doesn't work we'll work through the more difficult reset process, but hopefully it will be fine.

i reseated the battery exactly as how bud said and now its reading correctly (100%) thanks bud!
Keep that in mind. After 8 month of travel usage my battery got movable because the rubber pads in the battery compartment got more play. It may be useful then to fix the battery position with folded paper or parts of a thoothpick.

>>>>When it read 0% i put it up for charge and now its at 25% and it wont charge any more it stops chargIng as if its fully charged (red light turns off)
And thus we learn why fully charging a new lithium battery before use is not "bunk". It has absolutely nothing to do with the battery, everything to do with the fuel gauge. The BQ chip is now confused as to how much power the battery can actually hold.

Something simple that should fix it: charge it completely until it naturally stops charging (around 25% you said, the red LED should shut off) and then remove the battery for 10 minutes. When you put the batter back, it should recalibrate based on the battery voltage and start reporting 100%.

If that doesn't work we'll work through the more difficult reset process, but hopefully it will be fine.
So this "fuel gauge" can miraculously Determine what a full charge is the first time but not at any other time?

I thought a Lithium charger charges each individual cel to 4.20 volts . It charges full charge rate to 4.05 volts then trickle charges the rest. The pcb is there to limit over discharging.

There is really no need for a fuel gauge to "determine" a batteries capacity. It just charges it to 4.2 v. 

If that wasn't the case then why would any battery arrive not fully charged? Why do they arrive partially charged? Wouldnt they have been already fully charged once if they already have a partial charge? Doesn't make sense .

At least that is what I learned building portables ????

I can charge my battery to a full 100% but if I remove the battery and don't put it in a certain way it will read 0%...(away from the stylist = 100% / towards the stylist = 0%)

Back