Bad Sound Quality

ok I think I've got a fix, everyone affected please try. Be sure to remove any .asoundrc tweaks you may have before trying this.

http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/pandora/snd_fix_100616.zip

Quoting readme:
1. Extract uImage and boot.txt to root of your SD
(must be first partition, FAT32 or ext2).
2. Turn off your pandora unit, then insert the SD with above
files into first slot (the one closer to headphone jack).
3. Press and hold R while turning on the unit. Keep pressing
until menu appears.
4. Select "boot from SD1" and use your pandora as usual.

Note: it is possible to install this into flash but I recommend
waiting for official hotfix installer for this, unless you're ok
with doing full reflash later just to install next hotfix.

Note2: if you want to boot this automatically, rename boot.txt to
autoboot.txt .

notaz said:
ok I think I've got a fix, everyone affected please try. Be sure to remove any .asoundrc tweaks you may have before trying this.

http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/pandora/snd_fix_100616.zip

Quoting readme:
1. Extract uImage and boot.txt to root of your SD
(must be first partition, FAT32 or ext2).
2. Turn off your pandora unit, then insert the SD with above
files into first slot (the one closer to headphone jack).
3. Press and hold R while turning on the unit. Keep pressing
until menu appears.
4. Select "boot from SD1" and use your pandora as usual.

Note: it is possible to install this into flash but I recommend
waiting for official hotfix installer for this, unless you're ok
with doing full reflash later just to install next hotfix.

Note2: if you want to boot this automatically, rename boot.txt to
autoboot.txt .

GREAT!!! Thx notaz, I'll try it right away! Booting....

WOW! 3 out of 3 tries (master of magic in dosbox, super mario world on zsnes and pandro panic) successful sound intialization!!!! woooooooooohooooooooooo! Good job notaz!

Will try some more, but it seems veryvery promising by now!! (Had sonud glitches in about 80%!)

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz said:
ok I think I've got a fix, everyone affected please try.
What was the problem? How did you fix it? We want all the nasty details! :D

Hi notaz this has fixed most of my issues with the sound! However now sound does not work at all with the snes emulator, you go into the emulator settings and it says your volume level is 0 when you turn it up to full and reset the game there is still no sound. But the fix deff works on everything else.

Notaz! :huh: You are the god of Linux programmers in our community... aren't you... :blink:

YOU DID IT! I have perfect sound now! Thank You Thank You Thank You etc. :lol:

Where's the donate button? :D

Ok after a reinstall of snes emulator it's working fine thank you so much notaz

yes Ive tried picodrive snes n64 and scummvm so far. Sound works everywhere for me.

paulguy said:
I, too, am curious about the gritty details.
Make that three. This particular programming puzzle bothered me more than most because it's one of those things that should have been obvious where the problem was, even if the solution wasn't.

it didnt fix my problem of the volume simply being to quiet in mplayer and exile. I am currently turning my gain up to 20 in mplayer to watch movies. I am propably missing something easy but i am a linux noob so bear with me.

SteveM said:
If anyone gets a chance to try it, I'd be interested to hear if this fix makes any difference to the sound in MAME and Hu-Go.
Looks like the buzzing has disappeared from MAME! Hu-Go is just as bad as always but I suspect that's down to the emulator itself anyway.

notaz: I'd really like to know what you did to fix this! Until you give us the details, I guess I'll just head off to inspect the .zip file .. but is it also possible that you've sent ED the details so he can integrate it into the next Hotfix?

torpor said:
notaz: I'd really like to know what you did to fix this! Until you give us the details, I guess I'll just head off to inspect the .zip file .. but is it also possible that you've sent ED the details so he can integrate it into the next Hotfix?

Nein, der Buffer war fein. Da war ein Bug im Code von TI in der Soundinitialisierung.

Der Fix ist natürlich im nächsten Hotfix (erscheint vermutlich in den nächsten Tagen :D) fix mit drin :)

Nein, der Buffer war fein. Da war ein Bug im Code von TI in der Soundinitialisierung.

Der Fix ist natürlich im nächsten Hotfix (erscheint vermutlich in den nächsten Tagen :D ) fix mit drin :)
So TI had a bug in their sound initialization... why didn't it affect all Pandoras then? :blink:
Oh well, I'm a programmer myself, I know how bugs can be "situational" :p Damn bugs!

Back