Bad parenting really is international..

I don't speak French.

Whats the issue here has he been bought it to tease him or something?

He's just had the extra 48hrs anticipation he was expecting to endure, all relieved in one go. He's tripping on adrenaline and oxytocin, probably also sugar and countless e numbers.

In Germany, this game will be FSK18, I doubt it's also legal for little kids in other countries. What parents let their little kids play games for adults? :-||"

Speaking as a European, I'm more worried about food additives that have not been assesed by the EFSA and declared safe, than those that have :p

I take it you regard all of these (that I just picked off wikipedia) as dangerous to children:

• Caramel (E150a)
  • Vinegar (E260)
  • Saffron (E164)
  • Beetroot juice (E162)
  • Carbon Dioxide (E290)
  • Lemon juice (E330)
  • Rosemary extract (E392)
  • Baking Powder (E500)
  • Nitrogen (=78% of air) (E941)
  • Oxygen (E948)
  • Amylase (produced naturally in saliva) (E1100)

E211 hurts directly cell's DNA. Found in many sodas.

Sodium Benzoate (E211) can react with Vitamin C (E300) to form Benzene which is carcinogenic.

However, you need (un)favourable conditions during storage, and a very high intake before this becomes a health problem.

Even if I were wrong (which I could be) and Sodium Benzoate is carcinogenic in commonly occurring quantities, all that proves is that the EFSA can't be trusted, not that all E-numbers are bad.

My son (now 19) was playing Quake at age 5... And various other violent games to boot. He always has. It's not changed him for the worse; he knows how to separate fantasy from reality and is now studying to be a Biochemist at University and doing very well. I couldn't hope to meet a more well-adjusted and considerate teenager.

So I'd not be so quick to judge a video game like GTA V.

D.

I take it you regard all of these (that I just picked off wikipedia) as dangerous to children:
Who, me? (I'm European too FWIW) I'm just assuming that if this kid is given GTAV by his parents, they probably don't deny him much in the way of brightly coloured exotic flavoured sugary confections!

I did say I have nothing against e numbers, Purple is one of my favourite flavours, whatever it is.

My son (now 19) was playing Quake at age 5... And various other violent games to boot. He always has. It's not changed him for the worse; he knows how to separate fantasy from reality and is now studying to be a Biochemist at University and doing very well. I couldn't hope to meet a more well-adjusted and considerate teenager.

D.
I think the parents are the object of interest here, we're all dribbling in anticipation of the game itself!

The Violence probably isn't what singles out GTA for the "think of the children" sector, I would suspect it's the hookers. No hookers in Quake. Although I may have missed that mod.

Kotaku has it too (it's the hookers for them too)

http://kotaku.com/11-year-old-kid-gets-grand-theft-auto-v-freaks-the-hel-1317048819

I had a local Cinema when I was a kid, that had no qualms about admitting myself and other single-digit aged friends to whatever film we cared to see, none of us are currently incarcerated or damaged gibbering wrecks.

It would have been odd if our Mothers had accompanied us though.

Last edited by a moderator:

D.
So, we can safely say that every age rating system is just complete nonsense and everbody should do as he/she pleases ?

So, we can safely say that every age rating system is just complete nonsense and everbody should do as he/she pleases ?
These rating are meant as a warning. It is not for everyone. A 14 kids can have the foot way more in the reality than some adults.Yes GTA5 is bad, but that wont make the majority of kids drug dealers or cars stealers...

GTA (1-X) is much worse than Quake.

In Quake you save the world (good guy) from monsters with strange weapons in a strange looking environment.

In GTA you are a full grown criminal in citys that look like real ones.

I'd rather give/pay my son puzzle games and lessons on musical instruments, sports and philosophy

so he will be more creative, useful and popular with the ladies too ;) .

Well you can't say that now, just wait 5-10 years.
well the 1st GTA is older than 5 years. I havent seen *trustable* story of someone acting like an auto thieth in real life *because* of the game. I might be wrong.In this case I made my kid a criminal... (which he is not obviously)

EDIT:

I'd rather give/pay my son puzzle games and lessons on musical instruments, sports and philosophy

so he will be more creative, useful and popular with the ladies too ;) .
The issue is : all the friend of your kids have the game. So it's either he gets it and play at home (aka under your control) or he's every day at a friend'sd house or an other to play that game with his friend (aka without your control).Mine got GTA4 last year, I've some of his friends coming home to play this. Previously, my kid was moving to others friends' house to play that.

I deeply prefer having him home. So I can force a few pauses in the game hence having the game a bit less immersive.

Check the comments under the youtube video - over 9000 already!

Mixture of condemnation and bafflement.

Lots of gamers peed off because this means one more infant clogging up online play, another section complaining that this gives the usual hysterical voices in the media something to yell about, ban this sick filth etc.

Back