Bad Joystick, Wants To Replace It.

rollingharoo

Still Fresh
I have two GP2X F100 Mark IIs, where one of them works great with the exception of having a burnt out voltage converter, only being able to run off an external power supply, and the other which only has a bad joystick, being unable to go left without some extra force, making it very hard to play most games.

Will it be possible to desolder both joysticks from their boards and swap them, no problem? What kind of solder is recommended for such a project?

Actually at this point, would I be better off instead modifying the 2nd GP2X with a d-pad from another game controller?

As far as I remember it was pretty easy to de-solder and re-solder the joystick component, I just used bog standard solder that cam with my soldering iron. I tried a d-pad mod myself ages ago but ended up reverting back to the joystick as my mod kept breaking ( shoddy workmanship ).

In the end Mr DaveC sorted me out one of his special d-pad mods which is excellent, shame the battery life on the GP2X is so rubbish as I would have used it more.

Ah, no problem. Any suggestions on what kind of soldering iron to use? I have some rosen core solder and from what I understand, rosen core is supposed to be for small electronic projects, but will this apply to the GP2X?

Also, Is Mr. DaveC still doing special d-pad mods?

Back