Backlit? Frontlit?

JDUK

Website
Visit site
Am i misunderstanding the term "Backlit"?
I thought it meant the screen was lit from behind the display. But my Backlit GP32 that arrived today seems to have a light source infront of the display (and washes out the display) is this frontlit ? (under the platic screen cover but infront of the actual display). It also has an FLU sticker on the box wich im now assuming means Front lit Unit (of somthing like that?). When i ordered it was listed as backlit and the invoice says backlit

Do i have the wrong end of the stick? or the wrong Unit?

there is no such thing as a Backlight GB32 (or Gameboy, for that matter). The unit you've got is the only lighting solution (besides attaching external lighting devices)

backlit units came out in the older generation of portable machines (turboexpress, game gear, atari lynx) but were too battery-consumptive. The systems were big and heavy cause here'd be so many batteries weighing them down, and the things would run out of power after only a couple of hours of use or so (defeating the point of being "portable"). Frontlit techonology is FAR less battery consumptive (did I just make up a word?)

Some of the newer generation of handhelds are reportedly going to utilize baclit technology (N-Gage, and the PSP (sony) and TapWare Helix I believe.. we'll have to see how those pan out, for now frontlit is the only available solution. It sucks that things get washed out a bit, but it's a small sacrifice to make..! So much better than the alternative, plus you don't get bad reflective glare + even lighting.

I bought my gp32 on play-asia.com the Front Light Version, but then I saw that they had a GP32 Backlit version on GBAx.com, I guess it's the same light then. I would have fellt stupid If I bought it on Gbax.

Explosivo posted on May 23 2003 said:
I bought my gp32 on play-asia.com the Front Light Version, but then I saw that they had a GP32 Backlit version on GBAx.com, I guess it's the same light then. I would have fellt stupid If I bought it on Gbax.
GBAx is selling the same unit, and its FLU (front light unit). He doesn't know what a backlight is ;)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends if its from the back of the lcd on the back of the gamepark protection bumper. :D

I dont think it'd be physically possible to backlight a current gp32, cos the back of teh screen is opaque, making it impossible to light from behind...

(I think)

Well id assume the back of the display is opaque for the reason that it isn't back lit, so as to reflect all the light outward. Rather than not being back lit because its opaque I would gues it opaque because its not backlit?

Back