Awful game ideas.

One thing I find a bit weird with git is that over time, the repo becomes bloated.

I've found myself deleting my clones every now and again, and recloning, and the new repo size on the disk is much smaller than the old one. I don't know if that means there's information which has been dropped, or whether there just was some caching that never got cleared.

Another issue I've had with git, is that if I've moved a folder, sometimes that change isn't reflected as I update a different computer though all the files are still considered under source control (which led to me deleting my repo and recloning, where I found the bloating issue)

Yeah, when working on one computer upstream from another, I'd quite often end up in a detached head state after pushing into that repo. I can't remember now how I got round that, but I couldn't easily reclone because the only place where these latest changes were were either in the local repo (but with a detached head) or downstream (which I didn't have access to directly).

I find the password to upload annoying. I can't open a vault (temporal environment variable that allows me to push without a password), If I want to store the password, it is done in clearcase. (Though some repositories allow to push if you registered your public key).
Size is indeed another problem. I have a small data directory, and a huge .git directory.
But the biggest problem I have is that if you pull files, they do not retain their timedatestamp (you get the current time; this is by design, GIT only looks for content, not metadata). So I can not check if a file is newer or not (maybe infer it using git log but it's tedious and not precise).

Not sure if absurdism corner or here:

I've still been trying to think of an original spin on the life sim genre. Definitely one that doesn't involve crafting. That's when I had one of my usual awful game ideas.

"That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Life Sim Character"

The problem is maybe a fifth of people would be in on the joke.

Its looks like minecraft which I liketo play. I create new gaming account on hypixel server but used https://veepn.com/unblock-games/ for getting access to it. I heard from friends that sometimes gamers can not get access to their gaming websites.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rSl
I'd explain the history of video games to you, if I didn't feel so old right now...

Don't let that stop you, I've got plenty of time.

12115440.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: rSl
I had an idea for a game with short play sessions that I originally called "Input Output", though I guess a better name would be "Instant RPG".

Basically, you create an RPG character, then immediately receive a report about their entire life based on your character creation input and how it interacts with the game world. The main goal would be to unlock all the lore about the game world through multiple play sessions.

This is an idea that might not be so bad, if I were any good at creative writing.

There's an idea that I didn't mention in this thread, even though I had it years ago. It must've been one of those that got me kicked out of the Pyra IRC channel.

Basically, it's a strategy game where attack units and defensive structures are powered by gems. The twist though, is that each gem contains a world that powers it, and each world has its own battle going on, and these battles also use gems, which also contain worlds, and so on. The world's first recursive strategy game.

I realize in practice this would quickly lead to thousands of battles, and no computer on Earth would be able to keep up with it.

well, with all recursion, you need to cap it somewhere (base/terminating case), otherwise you get infinities.

you could even make each recursed battle be a different game type ;)

Back