Augmented Reality

Raine

Still Fresh
Good day to all. Here's my plan:

Using video glasses (135$) + webcam (10$) and the pandora (500$), I was hopping to build an AR jury rig and see if I could implement some kind of game using the real world as a basis and superpose informations like a HUD.

Questions are:

1.Can the pandora use a webcam at this point or would I have to develop some software?

2.Same thing for a GPS, although I belive there are some additional ports I could use.

What do you think?

Sure, both devices (the webcam and the Gps) are supported by drivers. One may require a hub to connect them both though. Good luck with the augmented reality.

Sure, both devices (the webcam and the Gps) are supported by drivers.
I feel that it's worth pointing out that not all webcams are supported in Linux. Some of them (in my experience, often ones aimed squarely at users of Microsoft Windows) can be nothing short of an absolute nightmare to deal with, and you may find that you're never able to get those working.

Going on the price-range quoted for the webcam in the parent post, though, this one for a mere $6.40 does work with Linux. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, both devices (the webcam and the Gps) are supported by drivers.
I feel that it's worth pointing out that not all webcams are supported in Linux. Some of them (in my experience, often ones aimed squarely at users of Microsoft Windows) can be nothing short of an absolute nightmare to deal with, and you may find that you're never able to get those working.

Going on the price-range quoted for the webcam in the parent post, though, this one for a mere $6.40 does work with Linux. :p
Mostly, I just need a webcam with a sensor 640x480, not 320x240 interpolating one. I spotted the pandora cause I'm a big retro gamer and I surf the net, so it could be a hat trick. Also, the rca output is perfect for the video glasses. I have found a few FLash webcam apps around, so programming should be minimal.

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting idea.... could be on to something too... the beginnings of Denno Coil (an anime... if you wanna know what I'm talking about, google it... :p )

Back