Augmented Reality Game for smartphones

MWeston

Internal Development
Website
openpandora.ca
A buddy of mine is part of a project to try and continue to make AR gaming popular.  I've seen something like this before and I think that Gizmondo thing tried a simple version of this.  The idea of using GPS is pretty cool.  How neat it would be to hold your phone up and see all this imaginary weaponry in the sky and on the horizon.

This kind of project is out of my scope of capabilities but it is interesting.  I thought I might try to help him out by posting the Kickstarter link here.  If it interests you, great!  If not, no problem. :)

It would have been an interesting thing to try on the Android build for Pandora, but without an internal GPS module, it might not be something most Pandora users would try.  Most of us have smartphones so it's worth a look if you like this kind of stuff:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/555266329/clandestine-anomaly

Michael

Looks interesting. To me AR and particularly VR, are the future of gaming.

You say that...yet virtual boy is in the past for a reason.
That's like saying Tablets will fail and using the Newton as an example.  
Who is to say that they won't collapse like the almighty netbook...a bit too early to call for tablets.
I read a gartner article the other day which had tablets now outselling desktop PC's. Will they collapse, one would assume not for the time being at least :p

Last edited by a moderator:
AR has some excellent real-world uses (eg translating text and GPS navigation), but to date I've not seen any AR game worthy of playing for more than 5 minutes. They are interesting distractions at best. However, Google's Glass (and similar products) may change that and AR may finally reach the point where it will be an essential piece of kit for the masses. Or maybe not.

Not bad. After all it would make some of us gamer types leave their our house more often.

You say that...yet virtual boy is in the past for a reason.
The VB wasn't really VR... it was more akin to what the 3DS is... only not handheld, not ergonomic and using classic gameboy graphics in red and black.

The only thing it shares with VR is that it looks like a VR headset.

I would feel much less embarrassed in public using it on Google Glass.

Back