Augmented Reality Game Development ?

sean1279

Still Fresh
Anyone interested in developing an Augmented Reality game? I think the P&|a is perfect for this kind of application. Anyone care to brainstorm?

Needs more Densuke.

dennou01-002.jpg

sean1279 said:
Anyone interested in developing an Augmented Reality game? I think the P&|a is perfect for this kind of application. Anyone care to brainstorm?
Hi,

I never heard about this before, seems to be an interesting field of research though :)

For ignorant people like me, here is the link to a great article on Wikipedia about AR.

From what I understand, AR on Pandora would still require a camera, which will not be too difficult thanks to USB ports :)

So, what about porting ARToolKit to the Pandora ?

Bye, Magic Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the idea of AR gaming, but unfortunately I don't think Pandora is the perfect device for it. Two major senses come to mind in AR: sight and location. Since we don't have a camera or GPS, we'd have to add those on externally. While this isn't a problem, I can't see myself walking around with a laptop bag full of accessories for my Pandora. I think we might be able to get some AR-ish stuff with WiFi alone, but you'd have to be pretty clever.

sinoth said:
I love the idea of AR gaming, but unfortunately I don't think Pandora is the perfect device for it. Two major senses come to mind in AR: sight and location. Since we don't have a camera or GPS, we'd have to add those on externally. While this isn't a problem, I can't see myself walking around with a laptop bag full of accessories for my Pandora. I think we might be able to get some AR-ish stuff with WiFi alone, but you'd have to be pretty clever.

AR does not require GPS. AR requires only a camera and some ingenuity. If you want to throw in GPS, fine, but I agree, I'm not into carting around accessories. I'm imagining a game where the camera observes your hands in front of the keyboard and the user can easily watch the screen to see what they are manipulating. I would use a card-recognition based system. This is the reason why I think Pandora works for AR. It's got the power and there are USB cameras out there that are small and can easily attach to the top of the screen. without weighing down the system.

If Pandora's going to make it big, it needs to show what it can do that others can't. We've got the talent in this community, now put something together!

If someone does start working on an AR game for the Pandora, I'd love to see a game like the Catapult game that was in the works for the Giz years back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfp8id6bpDU

-God Ginrai

didn't some console trying to come out the other year have a camera and the website talked all about the awesome AR games that would come out? I think they even had a promo video showing what it would be like
wow, looking at that wikipedia article, I never knew it was that far along. the most recent thing I saw was the video with the loli in the box, and the flash application with hoshi or whatever, and before that AR quake

Yep it was the Gizmondo - unfortunately the catapult game was a little cack - i had a Giz back in the days when I had a GP32 Blue - it was pretty cool for playing retro consoles and actually had a decent joypad compared to my GP32 and GP2X - F100, but these AR games were genuinely rubbish

This was probably more down to Gizmondo studios going bust before the game was ever released

I hear they are now planning to restart the Gizmondo again but this time just release the console and not develop any apps - could be a contender

I'd still wait impatiently for my Pandora though

On the other board someone suggested integrating the touchscreen into the idea. Any ideas? Imagine this:

two people with pandora's face to face on a table. The cameras face the area in between the users, where recognition cards are placed as pawns in the game. The cards could represent characters and they could be directed to act a certain way using the touchscreen . This would mean the AR game has both a touchscreen interface and real world interaction on camera. Sure, not too many people with Pandora's are near eachother now, but it's an idea AND it could generate interest.

Better idea: PandoraProfiler.

Use: Detects faces in the camera's field-of-view. Click on a face to view his/her profile from an online database or store it to access later. If there's no profile, write one. :) Shows an alert if they have something marked as bad on their profile. Pedofinder! :D

well, maybe when the console hits the streets, someone will come up with some cool apps. Maybe it will be me. For now, I think I'll just anticipate Pandora's arrival.

I thought a bit about making VR stuff for my N82, which is pretty ideal hardware for the stuff, with cameras, an accelerometer, and GPS (albeit slow).
Developing for the thing is a bit of a hassle though, lots of hoops to jump through, so I never got around to it.
Some other guy did this though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67bxQmEl7tQ.
Worth looking at, and seems to only require a camera. I haven't used AR toolkit, but from what I've seen of it, if it was ported, stuff like in that video should be a snap.

God Ginrai said:
If someone does start working on an AR game for the Pandora, I'd love to see a game like the Catapult game that was in the works for the Giz years back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfp8id6bpDU

-God Ginrai

Impressive :eek: Is this game open source ?
Multiplex said:
I thought a bit about making VR stuff for my N82, which is pretty ideal hardware for the stuff, with cameras, an accelerometer, and GPS (albeit slow).
Developing for the thing is a bit of a hassle though, lots of hoops to jump through, so I never got around to it.
Some other guy did this though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67bxQmEl7tQ.

Impressive video too ! I still can't believe I didn't hear about that kind of games sooner...

Worth looking at, and seems to only require a camera. I haven't used AR toolkit, but from what I've seen of it, if it was ported, stuff like in that video should be a snap.

Do you think someone with a devboard would bother playing with the sources ?

sean1279 said:
usb webcam would be needed me thinks.

FP72V_webcam.jpg

sony-announces-psp-go-cam-for-pal-regions.jpg

an Augmented reality game would be very interesting, considering how far it has gone in all these years and how little it has been noticed or used in any application besides for the PS3 as of late.

Currently I don't think there is that much out there in terms of content to use.

Back