Audio nuts take note

BaDToaD

"Very" Old Timer
Website
cwhippogames.wixsite.com
Almost a year ago I posted a review of the Pandora's audio capabilities (see here) and I'd just like to add a couple of comments now it's becoume my portable source of choice.

I no longer bother with my CMoy amp as I believe the Pandora's components have now fully burnt in and provide almost as good a sound as my Cmoy and Pandora combined, so, for on the move sound the CMoy provides very little sonic advantage over the stock Pandora and the associated extra bulk makes it not worth the effort. I still use the CMoy at work though.

Quite simply, after hundreds of hours of music playing the Pandora's stock sound is stunning.

I have never heard a PC or laptop produce as good a sound as this. You'd probably need a dedicated audiophile sound card to beat it.

My Alienware M11X laptop which has by far a better sound than any other laptop I've owned is mediocre in comparison.

Portable sources don't even come close.

If you're reading this and you like your music and haven't yet got or preordered a Pandora then let this be the icing on the cake that makes the Pandora the ultimate indulgent snack.

And don't get me started on how immersive games are with sound of this quality... ;)

EDIT: For clarification the above applies to using headphones not to the Pandora's speakers which although good for a small device are still tiny and therefore you won't be able to run your party on them.

If you are partial to speakers and want a reasonable sound in a small space you could do a lot worse than one of these. I use mine on my laptop when I watching films and TV.

Just read the reviews then buy one for £15 elsewhere ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
heh... cute, but that wouldn't have made any difference in terms of the display hardware. Audio Out was in the spec - dual screens was not. The difference in this case is that we might have otherwise ended up with audio hardware that was average, but because Michael cared about the sound quality it we got top notch audio, which we can all enjoy.

- Neelix

I agree that the sound quality is excellent but I have one issue. I remember seeing it mentioned a while ago (before I got a Pandora) I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue.

If the mixer is set to 75%-100% and I only have to turn the volume wheel a small amount to get to the desired volume level (on headphones) I mainly get volume through the right headphone.

If I put the mixer down to 50% I have to turn the volume wheel more and after a while the left channel catches up and there is hardy any difference between the left and right channels.

When I get a chance I'll put some mono audio on the Pandora and run some tests.

I just wondered if anyone else has encountered this issue.

still wanting the Pandora for audio playback! i'm not into 'lossy' audio (95%+ of my music listening is done directly from CD), but i'll give it a try with this system.

If the mixer is set to 75%-100% and I only have to turn the volume wheel a small amount to get to the desired volume level (on headphones) I mainly get volume through the right headphone.

If I put the mixer down to 50% I have to turn the volume wheel more and after a while the left channel catches up and there is hardy any difference between the left and right channels.

weird

@Ian J - Are you using "iPod compatible" headphones, by any chance?

@Ian J - Are you using "iPod compatible" headphones, by any chance?

No I don't own any apple products.

They are standard 3.5mm headphones, I have 4 pairs and all give the same result.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the sound quality is excellent but I have one issue. I remember seeing it mentioned a while ago (before I got a Pandora) I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue.

I have this same problem too with all my earbuds/headphones. I will set the software master volume to %50 so I can turn up the volume wheel up more to fix it. I don't know if this problem also effects the audio out pins on the pandora connector.

The audio capability of the Pandora is indeed quite awesome, shame we don't have any audio software truly tailored to the Pandora. i.e. it would play with lid closed + use shoulder buttons to skip / pause tracks + use hold buttons etc.

I'm pretty curious as to what this means :

...I believe the Pandora's components have now fully burnt in...

I'm glad the audio is a strong point for some people, including myself. It didn't really add a bunch of cost to make the audio circuitry sound good, mostly just proper planning and part selection.

As for the imbalance with the volume wheel, it is a mechanical difference considered "normal" by the manufacturer. What is inside there is a wiper that drags itself across a resistive strip placed in a circular pattern. As the wiper moves along the strip, the resistance measured between it and a fixed point increases. As the strip is made by laying down some kind of resistive material (carbon perhaps?), there will exist a small inaccuracy in the consistency from one side of the strip to the other just due to manufacturer tolerances. The more money you are willing to pay, the better you might be able to get those tolerances but I could never find another wheel that fit what I needed back in 2007-8. The problem is exacerbated by using the typical low impedance headphone designed to squeeze all the power they can get from the typically under powered headphone amplifier. If the amp was a crappy 5mW type, then low volumes would be even quieter in the most sensitive edge regions of the volume wheel and there would be less chance to even notice this. Since Pandora can do 150mW, there's just more signal all over the wheel's position. Perhaps here in 2012 I might take up the search for a new wheel. I might have seen some portable amp using an ALPS wheel but it must be surface mountable and have certain specs before I could even try it.

The Pandora's audio quality is truly top notch. Thank you for that Mr. Weston.

I use Sennheiser PX200-II headphones. They have a volume wheel built into the cord. I generally run the Pandora's volume wheel to the top, then back down by 1.5 'swipes' down on the wheel - the distance it travels down by the exposed portion of the wheel. From there I adjust the volume way down using the wheel on my headphones.

I find that this puts the Pandora's output in a sweet signal/noise spot for -quiet- listening on the headphones. It may seem counter-intuitive, but that's what works for my ear. If I try running the headphones wide open and turning the volume wheel that low on the Pandora itself, it gets into a less predictable portion of it's range.

My only complaint on the Pandora's audio system isn't really a complaint about the audio system. I wish we had a 2nd audio jack on the right hand side so that it's easier to listen to - and adjust - while the Pandora is in my pocket.

I'm also pleased to hear the sound is good quality, ill definitely be enjoying many hours listening to music on mine.

Without headphones I've not had any mobile device that has any bass at all - what's the Pandora saying there, i guess for bass you need space or mad technology like those speakers off glass gadgets. Give me a device that lets me hear the bass on Bad Company's The Nine and I'm happy.

this confirmation of quality is also good as i look forward to using Pandora for some music making progs ...which I've no idea if any exist as of yet where i am out of touch on the repo site - visiting there now is too much self torture with all those lovely pnd ripe for the picking... soon. soon.

I also have this... luckily I move the wheel where the balance sounds ok and this spot is actually the optimum volume for my headphones. :)

I'm also pleased to hear the sound is good quality, ill definitely be enjoying many hours listening to music on mine.

Without headphones I've not had any mobile device that has any bass at all - what's the Pandora saying there, i guess for bass you need space or mad technology like those speakers off glass gadgets. Give me a device that lets me hear the bass on Bad Company's The Nine and I'm happy.
Obviously, through headphones you're not going to feel a thump in your toes. However, I have been quite happy with the bass response from the Pandora through the PX200 II headphones I use. Your experience may vary.

this confirmation of quality is also good as i look forward to using Pandora for some music making progs ...which I've no idea if any exist as of yet where i am out of touch on the repo site - visiting there now is too much self torture with all those lovely pnd ripe for the picking... soon. soon.
I have Audacity on my Pandora - if you want multi-track music recording and editing, that is as good as you're likely to want.

Seconding how good the Sennheiser PX200 II's sound with the Pandora. I just set the Pandora's volume to maximum and control the volume via the in-line wheel on the PX200 II's, myself. Sounds good to me. :p

Reading through your old review, and through your update, I'm still glad I originally ordered a Pandora. And supposing the issue with my attempted refund into just a last replacement goes through, I will be quite happy once again when the next one arrives.

Back