Audio Jack

Death_Pigeon

Still Fresh
Where is the audio jack located?
Asking because I'm hoping it's on the side so that it is easy to listen to music when you put it in your pocket.

pand09050_logo3a.JPG

Nope, according to the render it's on the front. I hadn't thought about that before, seeing as how I'm planning on using the Pandora as an mp3 player that might present a slight problem. Then again, my mp3 player's headphone jack is on the side, and it works fine in my pocket, though it is much smaller than the Pandora.

I had the same first thought but when I consider plugging in my headphones with their long and thick handle sticking straight out 5cm anywhere on the side I can't see myself playing comfortably... unless I used an L-adapter but if that's the case it'd be even better to keep the design as it is it seems :]

I'll put in an extra h.p./line out and line in on the side for music gig use anyway so it looks quite optimal to me :) I like how seemingly no things surface on the side unlike the gp2x which is a headache trying to come up with where to do any plug-mods since it has stuff evenly distributed along the frame and that frame really is a wrap-around frame so if you do too many mods it seems it'd break and fall off :(

BigTruck said:
pand09050_logo3a.JPG

Nope, according to the render it's on the front. I hadn't thought about that before, seeing as how I'm planning on using the Pandora as an mp3 player that might present a slight problem. Then again, my mp3 player's headphone jack is on the side, and it works fine in my pocket, though it is much smaller than the Pandora.

Is this design confirmed?

I searched on the forums but I can't find a schematic with the locations of each jack. I am also concerned about the location of the audio jack. Will it still be at the bottom?
If so, bummer, I want to use this thing a the gym, and when it will rest on the machine, it will stay crooked.
Are there any easy mods to get a jack on the sides or on top? Dunno, maybe soldering a wire out of the jack. I am afraid that doing that or using an L shaped adapter will make the sound lose it's quality.

I just bought the Super.fi 5 EB for like 150$, and I want to get the best sound that I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ds is a bit big to be used as an ipod if I'm honest and with the pandora being slightly bigger using it as an ipod/mp3 player isn't very practical. mp3 players are sooooo cheap nowaday just get one of them. Or just get a L shape jack plug..

cbp said:
I am afraid that <snip> or using an L shaped adapter will make the sound lose it's quality.

:unsure: You are?

puppydee said:
The ds is a bit big to be used as an ipod if I'm honest and with the pandora being slightly bigger using it as an ipod/mp3 player isn't very practical.
hah, never owned a portable cd player? in fact, my first two mp3 players were cdmp3 players.
heck, it seems like it will be about the size of a walkman... that will bring back some memories.
btw, its slightly bigger than the ds lite, smaller than a ds.

Kyosys said:
Yes, that's the correct design
no way, is it made of that awful cheap material taht you see on dev units on youtube

its not sleek at all, it looks like ut was made very cheaply in asia, not based in uk

cbp said:
Does anyone know if the screen can open 180 degrees?
No, because that is patented and would cost the developers enough money that they would need to raise the price.

On topic, I believe the internal Blue Tooth will do well enough when it's in my pocket. I can suffer with lower battery life for such comfort, especially since I would be more worried that the headphones would run out of battery life first.

Don't forget about Bluetooth Headphones. It's how I plan to listen to music on the go - slipping the Pandora in the bag I'm carrying and walking around looking like I'm not listening to anything.

Korlithiel said:
cbp said:
No, because that is patented and would cost the developers enough money that they would need to raise the price.
[..]
What the...? So clam shell is not patented as long as it opens less than 180 degrees? :blink:
I am ok with 179 degrees. lol. Not much of a difference. What is the maximum opening angle?

cbp said:
Korlithiel said:
cbp said:
[..]
What the...? So clam shell is not patented as long as it opens less than 180 degrees? :blink:
I am ok with 179 degrees. lol. Not much of a difference. What is the maximum opening angle?

He probably was thinking 360 degrees - if the screen rotated completely, there might be patent issues with tablet designs.
It should rotate effectively 180 degrees, I think.

I think it's the 'click' from ~160 degrees to ~180 degrees like the DS does that's patented. I'm glad Pandora's doesn't open that far though. I'd rather have a solid end of the hinge's range at the normal playing angle, because of the touch screen. If you try poking at a DS's top screen as if it were touch, it's kind of bouncy and would be annoying to use (especially if you push it a little too hard and it opens to 180 degrees).

Back