Attack on the queen in the netherlands

borgqueenx

Website
gdteam.net
Little offtopic, but im from the netherlands, and i wanted to let you guys know.
Some sick freak tried to attack the queen on her birthday(today), in a car driving 100 km/h.
He hit some people while driving that fast.
There are 12 wounded, and 2 people died.
All partys and things about queen's day, are being cancelled.
There's always a sick freak trying to ruin party's and celebrations... :(
no one of the queen her family got hurt.
Watch CNN for some info.

Video: http://www.rtl.nl/components/actueel/rt ... ldoorn.xml

Why do you guys still have a queen anyway? :wacko:

Pretty weird how the media condemn violent video games and then enjoy showing videos and pictures of people being killed. :huh:

That's so messed up, I'm really sorry. The Netherlands are great neighbors and Koninginnedag was always a good time for a visit. I really hope this bastard didn't ruin it for good and you guys keep celebrating the day in the coming years the way it used to be.

RealityCheck said:
bosbeetle said:
(he seems to be neo-nazi though)
Could you please supply me with the source of this.

two things: the way he's dressed and his haircut (old fashioned jersey with a blouse untherneath, short mohawk style hair) picture is everywhere, the second is a thing a neighbour said he was wearing curled up trousers with army boots somethimes.

this of course does not mean he Is a neo-nazi but this does fit the discription we will hear when the investigation over.

Sorry for speculating

There are 7 deaths now :(

OrR said:
I'm always shocked to hear how many European countries still have royalty in this day and age. It's antithetical to the idea that all people are born equal and the ideals of a democratic society, government by the people for the people. I know that in practise, the reality of society often fails to meet these ideals, but they are noble goals and royalty in general strikes me as classist and anti-democratic.

That said, my heart goes out to the people who were hurt or killed in this act of senseless violence. Regardless of my opinion of what was presumably the intended target, actions like these aren't acceptable and my sympathy goes out to the families of the victims.

Ravnos said:
OrR said:
I'm always shocked to hear how many European countries still have royalty in this day and age. It's antithetical to the idea that all people are born equal and the ideals of a democratic society, government by the people for the people. I know that in practise, the reality of society often fails to meet these ideals, but they are noble goals and royalty in general strikes me as classist and anti-democratic.

That said, my heart goes out to the people who were hurt or killed in this act of senseless violence. Regardless of my opinion of what was presumably the intended target, actions like these aren't acceptable and my sympathy goes out to the families of the victims.

I agree on both points.

Ravnos said:
OrR said:

European royalty tends to have very little power and little privileges as compared to other public figures: all of the actual governing is done by elected bodies (except for the house of lords in UK, I believe); on the plus side they are good for tourism, and that's probably the main reason why they are kept.

I'm aware of that. I know that, in the case of the Commonwealth countries, the queen technically has veto power similar to the US president (all laws require "royal assent") but that it isn't exercised. Her role, and the role of her "representatives" in the Commonwealth (like the Canadian governor general) is largely ceremonial. It's not really the point, though. They're basically symbolic of classism, that they are somehow above common people. Also unlike the president, they are unaccountable for their actions. There is no "election" in which a monarch can be deposed. This is largely irrelevant because of what little role they serve in actual governance, but if they do so little, then why have them around at all?

It is just horrible what has happened and my heart goes out to all the victims and their families.

What I find hard to bear is the way some journalists are handling themselves in situations like this. Asking all these superfluous inconsiderate and sometimes even very blunt and insinuating questions - immediately trying to look for someone to blame like 'well okay we had this guy attacking the queen and such but how come the police let it happen in the first place?.... why didn't they just shoot the guy?.....' and so forth. And showing obvious signs of not listening to what has already been asked and answered during the first press-conference, that just bugs the hell out of me. And what about the fact that with a minimum of information all sorts of 'absolute facts' are put out there in the media as 'absolute truths' leaving little room to actually state that there is a lot of 'pollution' by rumour and just uncertainty. I was reading up on teletext forever changing facts about the man in the car, the number of people involved in the accident. I know this is a day and age of instant news but it really makes journalists a little less credible. And then there's the speculation journalist always seem to be doing - posting wild allegations and sometimes causing quite a bit of unrest and uproar. There's a fine line between getting a good scoop out of something that has happened, being absolutely sensationalist and your responsibility to the public at large. I can not appreciate the footage of people lying heavily wounded in the street or someone being reanimated on a stretcher that is played over and over again without proper warning. It's like being forced to watch some reality cop/er series.

On responsibility of journalists to the public at large and how erroneous and absolute ill-mannered they can behave themselves I could go on and on. The 'world epidemic crisis' for example is actually to some degree being maintained by journalists just increasing/maintaining the public's economic angst. And what about the Mexican flu, by calling it a 'swine flu' at first whole countries did away with their swine populations such as Egypt whereas the actual disease is of a more complex origin and nature. It is actually a hybrid inter-species virus that is not of specific swine-origins.

Back on topic, It seems old fashioned but I think it's rather cool to have royalty as a country. It's something of old and bears a lot of historic importance. Just doing away with such an institute takes away part of a country's cultural heritage in my opinion.

Back