ATSC/ClearQAM Tuner?

EssoAir

Would it be possible to have a TV tuner inside the Pandora? One that can pickup both ATCS (analog) and ClearQAM (unencrypted digital). I know a lot of Android phones in Korea have this and it would be cool to have it on the Pandora 2!

Would it be possible to have a TV tuner inside the Pandora? One that can pickup both ATCS (analog) and ClearQAM (unencrypted digital). I know a lot of Android phones in Korea have this and it would be cool to have it on the Pandora 2!

Well for one ATSC is a digital signal over the air (NTSC is Analog)..

It's possible.. is it worth the extra hassle and costs when USB tuners work even on the regular Pandora? who knows.

Well for one ATSC is a digital signal over the air (NTSC is Analog)..

It's possible.. is it worth the extra hassle and costs when USB tuners work even on the regular Pandora? who knows.

Ah. My bad.

Are there any USB ones that are just small dongles?

Edit: found this http://www.ideastage.com/Tv-to-go-USB-Receiver-733603545

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any ATSC tuner dongles that work with the Pandora? I searched the forums here and checked the USB compatibility charts - no luck.

What about tuner/video software for them?

Are there any ATSC tuner dongles that work with the Pandora? I searched the forums here and checked the USB compatibility charts - no luck.

Well not a dongle, but I've had luck with the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1950 I used VLC for a viewer.. some full HD stations shuttered a little bit.. but this was before I got my Rebirth Pandora with more RAM..

This is an old guide, I think some of those packages are installed in the new firmware..

Well not a dongle, but I've had luck with the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1950 I used VLC for a viewer.. some full HD stations shuttered a little bit.. but this was before I got my Rebirth Pandora with more RAM..

This is an old guide, I think some of those packages are installed in the new firmware..

The links to msi.de are broken.

I know gravedigging this post, but I finally got some time to play with it.

I got it to work for ATSC here in the US, I used this to generate the channels.conf

Code:
scan -A1 -d0 -t1 -o /usr/share/dvb/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB > ~/channels.conf

I can seem to get 720p channels and lower to work well with VLC, but true 1080p channels just seem to be a frozen picture.

EDIT: FYI I have a WinTV-HVR-1950 I needed to copy the firmware file from the windows install and rename it v4l-pvrusb2-73xxx-01.fw and put it in the /lib/firmware directory. I didn't need to do any Kernel compiling.. all I did was:

Code:
sudo opkg install dvb-apps dvb-scan tvb-tzap

Then what I mentioned prior

Code:
scan -A1 -d0 -t1 -o /usr/share/dvb/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB > ~/channels.conf

Then open the channels.conf in VLC

A bit of my lag when running higher resolution channels could be related to VLC being forced not to use the overlay.. the TV out script seems to always break this on me only reflashing seems to fix it.

Cool! Glad to see it works in the US!

Can you make a more clear, step-by-step guide for this?

Cool! Glad to see it works in the US! Can you make a more clear, step-by-step guide for this?

I haven't tried this on my Rebirth Pandora or the new firmware release.. I'll try it out sometime and take notes and put an entry in the wiki if it still works.

Back