Arm Simulator/emulator

Squidge

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
Not really after a gp32 emulator (as there's only GeePee32, right?)

What I'm after is a free software-based arm processor emulator with debugging functionality. Something that I can step through arm code on the pc and watch the results to test my logic and code. GeePee32 is kinda poor for this & JTAG is over the top for such a simple requirement.

So, a piece of software that will step through arm code on the PC, allowing me to set breakpoints, etc. Preferably allow me to edit memory as well. It doesn't need to emulate much memory - a few hundred bytes is more than enough.

Should really be Windows based, as the bulk of my development is done on that platform.

Most of the emulators I've found on the net are hardware based, or come with several thousand pound development systems.

I use Arm ADS already, but only ever use the dos compiler / assembler / etc. Completely forgot about AXD, and it seems to do everything I wanted (well, apart from being able to edit and reassemble the disassembled code).

Thanks for pointing that one out :)

I really must start using the GUI a bit more, but I just use the DOS command line versions of everything for some reason. Probably the only person who thinks it's easier than the GUI :)

Actually, you might be surprised at that - Slashdot claimed a while back that a study had shown that command prompt interfaces were *much* easier to learn for complete newbies than guis.

That said, I'll tend to go for the guis, I have to say.

This is basicly spam. BUT : this convo is between the gurus. im the only non guru to post!

Not 100% sure on this but how about InsightGDB which I use for the GBA which is a similar processor. Problem is the need for an emulator that supports it

Before I remembered AXD, MappyVM seemed a good GBA debugger. A little old now, but comes with full source code. Maybe a good starting point if we ever needed a better gp32 emu than GeePee.

Back