Are You A Young Person? I Need Your Help...

macgyver61

Still Fresh
Hello,

Firstly, let's be clear - by young, I don't mean 'young at heart because you still play the same games you did when you were young'. No, I mean the real deal. Teenage would just about right. And British.

In short, I've been asked to write a short piece for a Japanese newspaper about the way teenagers speak in Britain.

As a GP2X user I noticed a good few young people frequenting these forums (which made me feel very old) and it occurred to me that those that do might be a little mature beyond their years but will still be much more aware of teen-culture than an almost-30 relic like myself.

If you'd like to talk to me about teenage slang, maybe some phrases you use, or to complain wildly about phrases other people use, drop me a PM or post here.

Incidentally, I'll be getting paid a grand total of £20 for this article (not quite hit the big-time yet...), so I'm afraid there wont much more than my thanks and the knowledge that you're educating the world about Britain in terms of compensation.

Thanks a lot!

Or, to make it more interesting for the older readers, please also feel free also to post anything you've heard teenagers saying that you didn't quite understand and maybe the young'uns can educate us. Now's your chance to get just a little bit hipper...as if owning a GP console doesn't make you ultra-hip already...

I'm over 30, but I have noticed that young people these days sometimes end their sentances with the word 'already' when it seems innappropriate to me. e.g. "Why don't you do it already?"

Also, young people use the word 'own' something to mean better than something else. e.g. "My gp2x owns your gba"

Neither of these were around in the 80's/early 90's when I was young and I think they come from the internet. Youth slang is becoming globalised.

WhizzBang posted on Mar 1 2007 at 02:34 PM said:
Also at young people use the word 'own' something to mean better than something else. e.g. "My gp2x owns your gba"

"Owns" is a good one. I think you're right about the globalisation of youth slang. I was actually trying to remember what slang words I used back in the day (80s-90s) and all I can think of so far is 'dipstick' and I seem to remember some people using 'beezer' which seemed a bit passe even at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 1 2007 at 09:45 AM said:
kknd_cf posted on Mar 1 2007 at 09:11 AM said:
I often call my mother a dirty c*nt.
lol
That about sums it up, already, eh? :rolleyes:

- Alex

Alex. posted on Mar 1 2007 at 10:04 AM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 1 2007 at 09:45 AM said:
kknd_cf posted on Mar 1 2007 at 09:11 AM said:
I often call my mother a dirty c*nt.
lol
That about sums it up, already, eh? :rolleyes:

- Alex
Indeed, I didn't even notice :rolleyes:

macgyver61 posted on Mar 1 2007 at 01:07 PM said:
In short, I've been asked to write a short piece for a Japanese newspaper about the way teenagers speak in Britain.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Which part of Britain? Anyway here's how people speak now where I used to live (in my teens) :p

http://www.sheppeyscum.com

(You want the "NATIVE LINGO" section...)

Thanks to everyone whose offered suggestions. I know there's plenty of info on the net about teenspeak, but I sometimes got the impression that it wasn't the most reliable (whereas asking for info on a GP forum is an obvious, guaranteed route to reliable info on every subject...).

For those still out there, any more suggestions welcome. And to widen things out a little - this also encroaches a little onto cultural differences between teenagers in the UK and Japan.

So, what makes you ultra-uncool in Britain as a teenager?

Just for example - when I went into a high school in Japan 2 years ago, I noticed that every bike in the bikeshed had a basket on it, and it was entirely acceptable for boys to use cosmetic mirrors to keep a regular check on their appearance - both things which would have erased social status where I grew up.

So what fairly innocent things can mean death to your credibility in teen-world?

macgyver61; It's important to note that in britain, there are many varieties of english slang, based on location. For instance, slang that may be used in derbyshire has mostly never been heard of in the south east.

Nova posted on Mar 2 2007 at 09:01 PM said:
macgyver61; It's important to note that in britain, there are many varieties of english slang, based on location. For instance, slang that may be used in derbyshire has mostly never been heard of in the south east.

... it's the same here in the U.S. ... I'm from the northeast, where the term "guido" is understood to mean a white guy (usually of Italian/American ethnicity), who while outwardly racist against black folk, listens to disco music.

In the south they don't seem to have any guidos :blink:

Nova posted on Mar 2 2007 at 09:01 PM said:
liverpool lol

Back