Are We Still Expecting A 1.5 Firmware?

declaration posted on Mar 13 2006 at 03:38 PM said:
Even when Emus do slow down as they did at times for the GP32, a new coder will come along with an amazing emu which could perfect a certain system. Look at the history of MegaDrive emulators on the GP32 for example.

And then we have the best things about the GP2X commnunity- homebrew games which wll always be released. Not to mention any advancements made in replacing the firmware with HH or whatever.

This is one of the best parts of the GP32 and GP2X. You are enjoying a great emulator and you start to wonder, "Will it ever get any better than this?".
Then BAM! along comes Reesy and he drops DrMD.
Then a little while later, BOOM! along comes franxis and them we get MAME!!!
I am sure more good stuff is coming.
Hell, 2 weeks before Critical dropped uae4allgp2x on the scene, people were saying, An Amiga emulator will never happen!

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Mar 14 2006 at 12:18 AM said:
declaration posted on Mar 13 2006 at 08:38 PM said:
erm, I dont think things are about to slow down yet.
Many emus are great but not perfected. gngeo could do with more options, SNES will be improved, GBA will be improved, NES will definitely be improved. Playstation could become playable on some games at some point. MAME is improving all the time as is UAE4all and gngeo. Definitely things to look forward to.

Actually I have noticed that many of the coders that were around in the beginning have been pretty quiet recently. Skeezix, Reesy, Squidge, The guy that did the Stella port, Snaff, Foft, Tuskenraider have seem to have taken a break. Not sure what happened unless it is all of this talk about the XGP is making them sit back and wait for that, or maybe they are just tired. I have noticed a slowdown though, It seemed to start when the board had that virus.
Things go through quiet periods.
But there is no way people are waiting for the XGP. No way.
This is just one of those quiet periods.

DaveC posted on Mar 14 2006 at 01:18 AM said:
Many emus are great but not perfected. gngeo could do with more options, SNES will be improved, GBA will be improved, NES will definitely be improved. Playstation could become playable on some games at some point. MAME is improving all the time as is UAE4all and gngeo. Definitely things to look forward to.

Actually I have noticed that many of the coders that were around in the beginning have been pretty quiet recently. Skeezix, Reesy, Squidge, The guy that did the Stella port, Snaff, Foft, Tuskenraider have seem to have taken a break. Not sure what happened unless it is all of this talk about the XGP is making them sit back and wait for that, or maybe they are just tired. I have noticed a slowdown though, It seemed to start when the board had that virus.
Maybe they all use IE. (snigger)

I'm sure everyone on the boards has switched to firefox and opera.

Avoiding getting your system blown up is a good motivation for the switch I guess.

Leshrac posted on Mar 14 2006 at 04:20 PM said:
I'm sure everyone on the boards has switched to firefox and opera.

Avoiding getting your system blown up is a good motivation for the switch I guess.

Yeah god damn that was annoying.. now this website is located in the ffox favourites

DaveC posted on Mar 13 2006 at 07:18 PM said:

Regarding Stella, it's still being worked on ... very quietly ;)

DaveC posted on Mar 13 2006 at 08:18 PM said:

Real life nabbed me, then I got sick from working too hard (I think.) I do expect to have a minor alteration for OutcaST soon for people to test (to see if it helps with a couple of games, or breaks anything else.) I'm looking for an artist and musician for updates to Manticore. Other stuff is on hold a bit until I get back on my feet..

I think the compo burned up a lot of people :)

jeff

Oh, and for sure the virus is a big problem; did it get sorted? Certainly, if the boards are infected it means the entire site should be pretty much dead for a week or two until repaired.. I imainge a lot of people bailed (rightly so) :)

jeff

skeezix posted on Mar 14 2006 at 04:02 PM said:

Real life nabbed me, then I got sick from working too hard (I think.) I do expect to have a minor alteration for OutcaST soon for people to test (to see if it helps with a couple of games, or breaks anything else.) I'm looking for an artist and musician for updates to Manticore. Other stuff is on hold a bit until I get back on my feet..

I think the compo burned up a lot of people :)

jeff

Pulling a Chris Senn eh?

The virus was fixed by the way.

I think we keep forgetting that we've only had GP2x's around for about four months now. In my opinion, outstanding progress has been made in that short time. I don't think a couple of weeks quiet is anything to worry about.

I'm actually spending time playing games now rather than constantly trying to keep up to date with all the new releases!

thanks devs.. :D

I'm actually spending time playing games now rather than constantly trying to keep up to date with all the new releases!

thanks devs.. :D

I agree. Emus have gotten to the point that they are definitely playable. Ive been enjoying SqSNES and MAME quite a lot! Having some time between releases isnt much of a worry to me. Polishing things takes more time than the big bug fixes anyway.

To reitreate: Thanks devs!

I'm glad the virus was fixed. It was a huge prob for me as I was using IE (I know, I know) I've been enjoying the progress with FishyNES...especially after installing cramfs and not being able to use nkNES anymore!

Actually while waiting for squidgesnes to be developed on (*hehe hint hint*) I have rediscovered how awesome gameboy games were... gnuboy really kicks ass! I have always wondered how a b/w gaming system could ever take out the game gear: ZELDA!!! Well not to mention the gbc games oracle of ages and oracle of seasons... now playing that on the gameboy can be annoying at times. But then there is the save state feature... gotta love emulation ;-)
There is a certain thing about this quiet period that makes me believe a giant breakthrough is either going to be made or another software bomb is going to be dropped onto the gp2x to blow our minds! Who knows... maybe it will be an ngage emulator? :p

Back