Are My Nubs Dying Again?

coevin

Hi I just received my 3rd pandora last week and was playing Mario when my left nub made a crunching sound and now feels a little scratchy. So far it still works but it's not as nice. Are these the new nubs? This is my 3rd pandora one was delivered faulty and the other my nub died now this one. I'm hoping nothing will happen because it's getting to be a tiresome joke tbh.

Haha bloody iPad predictive text, title was suppose to say nubs.

97632711-390x272.jpg

I hope my third pandora doesnt have a dying nun

Haha cool pic, seriously tho is it gonna be 4th time lucky. Does anyone know if the new nubs are being used yet?

Nope, no _completely_ new nubs yet, just sorted already produced nubs. Your PCB might be a refurbished one though, dunno.

Exactly the same thing happened with my first Pandora. After two weeks, the left nub became very loose and made a scratching sound whenever I rotated it. A day later, it broke completely and would randomly drift off to one side. My second Pandora had the same issue after 2-3 days so I've just sent it back. Not sure what the problem is but it feels like it gets stuck on something after regular use. I could really notice the difference when rotating the right nub as it was sturdy and always snapped back to the middle easily.

It's to do with the glue they use, it seems some of the nubs have glue spilt on them. It's something they are now testing for. Frustrating.

Sorry to hear about this dude - it must be incredibly annoying.

But I guess it's good for us who are later on in the queue, for these issues to be ironed out.

No, those are not yet the new nubs.
Just the tested ones... that's exactly the reason we're still producing slowly... we didn't trust the tested nubs enough to put them on thousands of boards... we want to go slow and wait for the completely newly produced nubs which fixes those problems.
It's really annoying - the company didn't even stresstest the current ones before delivery - something that's unbelievable.
The new ones will be stresstested like hell to make sure they don't break anymore. First samples of the new ones will be available next week. If they work fine, then go go go for production and off to the board production company we go.
The last step to make everything go smooth.
Those nubs sure put us through hell - the first company went bust (after taking our 30.000 USD), the second one produces but didn't really test them... ouch!

Thanks for the replies guys, Craig or evil dragon will it be possible to send back the unit if things get worse when the new nubs are being produced?

coevin said:
Thanks for the replies guys, Craig or evil dragon will it be possible to send back the unit if things get worse when the new nubs are being produced?

You can be sure we won't leave you with a broken unit :)

But I'd suggest you wait until the new nubs are really there... I guess there are still tons of games to play with a DPad :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
coevin said:

But I'd suggest you wait until the new nubs are really there... I guess there are still tons of games to play with a DPad :)

I don't have a pandora yet, but I was just wondering if you've made turning the nubs On/Off an option?

Last edited by a moderator:
b1ueskycomp1ex said:
EvilDragon said:
coevin said:

I don't have a pandora yet, but I was just wondering if you've made turning the nubs On/Off an option?

yes the option is there

EvilDragon said:
No, those are not yet the new nubs.
Just the tested ones... that's exactly the reason we're still producing slowly... we didn't trust the tested nubs enough to put them on thousands of boards... we want to go slow and wait for the completely newly produced nubs which fixes those problems.
It's really annoying - the company didn't even stresstest the current ones before delivery - something that's unbelievable.
The new ones will be stresstested like hell to make sure they don't break anymore. First samples of the new ones will be available next week. If they work fine, then go go go for production and off to the board production company we go.
The last step to make everything go smooth.
Those nubs sure put us through hell - the first company went bust (after taking our 30.000 USD), the second one produces but didn't really test them... ouch!
Already have a effective testing-sheme? I guess it is important to plan how to test the new nubs and especialy the thousands of old Nubs to make sure you minimize the failure-rate.
I also hope the Nub Company don't make such a quality gap again between the test samples and the series production parts. I remember that your old Nubs onto the early Pandora Test samples still work. The Series production Nubs had the problems. So even when the new Nubs are flawless, make sure thet the Mass Production Stuff will be also the same Quality. The Company seems to have some problems at this point. ;)

fusion_power said:
Already have a effective testing-sheme? I guess it is important to plan how to test the new nubs and especialy the thousands of old Nubs to make sure you minimize the failure-rate.
I also hope the Nub Company don't make such a quality gap again between the test samples and the series production parts. I remember that your old Nubs onto the early Pandora Test samples still work. The Series production Nubs had the problems. So even when the new Nubs are flawless, make sure thet the Mass Production Stuff will be also the same Quality. The Company seems to have some problems at this point. ;)

They have already setup a stress test machine and various other tests to simulate a couple of hundred hours of usage.

Last edited:
Bosbeetle said:
b1ueskycomp1ex said:
EvilDragon said:
coevin said:

yes the option is there

That's definitely a good thing. If there was no option to turn off the nubs, if/when one of them breaks and starts pressing all the way in one direction it won't ruin your device. I had this problem with a broken PSP joystick. The PSP was still usable with the D-Pad, but the joystick would randomly move around on it's own because it was (severely) broken. It was horrific xD. With the option to turn them off, if in the future a nub breaks it won't ruin the whole unit. It's definitely good to know.

Ok well that's it! My nubs have died again after only 2 weeks or so. Craig or Ed this is already my 3rd pandora so just wondering when would be the best time to return it, to make sure I have the improved nubs? Cheers

coevin said:
Ok well that's it! My nubs have died again after only 2 weeks or so. Craig or Ed this is already my 3rd pandora so just wondering when would be the best time to return it, to make sure I have the improved nubs? Cheers

Best to wait for the newly produced nubs.

Last edited:
Back