Apple spell check points out my mistakes but not other peoples.

Dionysus

Still Fresh
I baught my first ever apple recently and (not that you can tell from my half arsed pisssed posting) it checks all your spellings in the web browser and everywhere. With the MS im used to this doesn't happen. But what has just really annoyed me is that when I scroll down a page of posts with spelling mistakes it does not point them out as it does with mine. I believe steve jobs should take note of this and stop making people who buy his products feel spellingly incorrect and make sure his software points out the spelling mistakes of others, perhaps even going so far as to calculate the number of mistakes made by the user and ensuring that the number made by others is greater even if it means red underlining correctly spelt wprds.

Perhaps the pandora team could get ahead of the pack by implementing this idea in their software.

The spell checker doesn't check the web page, it only checks spelling in edit fields so that you can see when you've spelled something wrong and correct it. Why do you want to know where someone else has misspelled a word? The use case isn't for pointing out spelling mistakes as if it were laughing at you, it's there so that you can see what you've spelled wrong and correct it.

To a red delicious, yes, but to a pink lady apple or honercrisp? Nope, pear loses to those apples.

To a red delicious, yes, but to a pink lady apple or honercrisp? Nope, pear loses to those apples.
Maybe if you eat it directly, but there's not many more things that are better than a pear and almond tart.

Why should a spell check function be supposed to point out other peoples?

Irritating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sense of superiority, or lack of inferiority at least. I believe Dionysus was thinking of the spell checker as something that points out your flaws at spelling, and was feeling as if it was singling him out, effectively Apple saying "hahah, you suck at spelling" and he didn't like that. Of course, that isn't what it's there for. No one should feel insulted that the spell checker points out their mistakes, they should be appreciative as they can now go back and correct those mistakes and make their posts more readable.

Sense of superiority, or lack of inferiority at least. I believe Dionysus was thinking of the spell checker as something that points out your flaws at spelling, and was feeling as if it was singling him out, effectively Apple saying "hahah, you suck at spelling" and he didn't like that. Of course, that isn't what it's there for. No one should feel insulted that the spell checker points out their mistakes, they should be appreciative as they can now go back and correct those mistakes and make their posts more readable.
Yeah, but... that still doesn't explain why a spell checking function should be able to point out other groups of human beings.

Sometimes I feel like sarcasm just doesn't work very well on the Internet.

Sorry, but even if you were standing right in front of me and said it with an obvious sarcastic tone, I would have said basically the same thing. Even if I interpret what you said as sarcasm, it still comes across as you not understanding why Dionysus would want the browsers spell check to point out other peoples mistakes.

Sorry, but even if you were standing right in front of me and said it with an obvious sarcastic tone, I would have said basically the same thing. Even if I interpret what you said as sarcasm, it still comes across as you not understanding why Dionysus would want the browsers spell check to point out other peoples mistakes.
I may be mistaken, but I'm not really sure that Dionysus' post was very serious in the first place. So I was playing with the idea that "peoples" may be interpreted as ~"several groups of people" (this topic is currently entitled "Apple spell check points out my mistakes but not other peoples." with "Irritating." as the sub-title).

Back