I would like to nominate a new moderator

Phelsumania

Sup I would like to nominate klapse to be upgraded to a moderator with the only privilege of being able to edit spelling mistakes in posts made on the boards.  Apparently he really enjoys correcting spelling errors by uneducated fools.  Rumour has it his favourite pass time is attending spelling bee's and batting one out in the back row to every word spelt correctly.  I think he would be a perfect candidate for this role, and is a task he would find truely pleasurable

Love u klapse  :p

Last edited by a moderator:
The majority of my grammar fails  :D   ;) :D  Should the apostrophe be at the end? I aint got a scooby with spelling

shoud their, bea an offical: (statuz off forrum)  grama nazi pedant???

The majority of my grammar fails  :D   ;) :D  Should the apostrophe be at the end? I aint got a scooby with spelling
No apostrophe needed at all. Apostrophe generally denotes possession - in this case, you're indicating many Spelling Bee events, which would be a plural. The way you wrote it, the Spelling Bee is a thing that owns something, but you didn't specify what.

For a more fun way to use it:

bobsqu.gif

Which I find handy to print out and give to pre-school kids.

D.

I nominate Damummy ! He's most defintly the most ... Unashamed board member .

I edit my spellgram mistakes immediately after posting, the ones I didn't notice before clicking Post, and I'm always concerned that editing my posts like that without adding an "edited by" line will bother people who's OCD requires that they know both what is and what was.  But my OCD requires my posts be neat, and fixing a typo doesn't sound like it needs a tag explaining that the typo has been fixed.  I tell myself that it isn't that bad if I do it right away, before anyone else has seen it yet.

Edit: I have edited this post, in order to change "who's" to "who're", and then again to change it back when I realized that was even worse.  Apostrophes were brought up in another thread recently, here's a situation concerning them that I'm still unsure of: In a segment like "people who's OCD requires that they know", what sort of a word is "who's"?  It is not currently a conjunction of who and is, it is something else, with a possessive meaning.  If this is simply a fake word I've grown up accustomed to, how else could I word a sentence like that?  I don't believe it's fake, but I understand that its apostrophe shouldn't work and there is already a different meaning for that word.

Love u klapse :p
Thanks. Every once in a while I send people corrections when they confuse your/you're or there/their/they're. No need for mod powers for that.

The error is using the wrong homophone, like typing "plane" when you mean "plain". It doesn't happen to people in other languages as far as I can tell, just Americans trying to write English, as far as I can tell. I hope my reminders help.

You would have a field day at my work.

Some of the emails I get, often the your/you're and there/their/they're ones...

...Sometimes, no lie, sea/see.

I think from this day forth I will make an extra effort (not that much would be needed) to continue to miss use your/you're there their and they're as much as possible. Haha sea that is quality.

here's a situation concerning them that I'm still unsure of:In a segment like "people who's OCD requires that they know", what sort of a word is "who's"?  It is not currently a conjunction of who and is, it is something else, with a possessive meaning.  If this is simply a fake word I've grown up accustomed to, how else could I word a sentence like that?  I don't believe it's fake, but I understand that its apostrophe shouldn't work and there is already a different meaning for that word.
"Who's" is valid in the right context, but it ought to be 'whose' in your example ;)

Back