I would like to nominate a new moderator

Given that the spelling and grammar used by forum users posting in this thread seems to be degenerating into an excuse to ridicule the more pedantic members of society, I would like to add one of my own favourite sayings to the discussion:

Never use a simple English word when a classical circumlocution suffices.
As you will observe, it is entirely possible to use language so carefully that readers would have found it easier to follow had one compromised the accuracy and linguistic style of one's writing to aid the cause of simplicity.  Furthermore, I find that the time expended in the writing of this message to be much greater that would normally be taken in the composition of a passage of a comparable length.  I would consider the additional effort wasted, were it not for the ironic qualities which it imparts to the posting as a whole.

In short, I aim to have demonstrated that consideration and sophistication are not necessarily ideal for communication.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given that the spelling and grammar used by forum users posting in this thread seems to be degenerating into an excuse to ridicule the more pedantic members of society, I would like to add one of my own favourite sayings to the discussion:

Never use a simple English word when a classical circumlocution suffices.
 As you will observe, it is entirely possible to use language so carefully that readers would have found it easier to follow had one compromised the accuracy and linguistic style of one's writing to aid the cause of simplicity.  Furthermore, I find that the time expended in the writing of this message is much greater that would normally be taken in the composition of a passage of a comparable length.  I would consider the additional effort wasted, were it not for the ironic qualities which it imparts to the posting as a whole.

In short, I aim to have demonstrated that consideration and sophistication are not necessarily ideal for communication.
That should be "to be much greater" but otherwise not bad; certainly readable.

D.

I apologise for introducing such flawed language to the esteemed OpenPandora forums*, and have made a correction to my post as you suggested.

*It could be argued that 'forum' is of Latin origin and should be pluralised accordingly.  Wiktionry suggests the following (below) and, although this might not be regarded as normal English, I personally prefer 'forums'.

The English plural forums is preferred to the Latin plural fora in normal English usage.

I nominate Damummy ! He's most defintly the most ... Unashamed board member .
while i appreciate the thought, i would cause too much of a havoc to this place. i've already stated who would get my first ban-hammer. i'm the kind of person that would be elected on friday, and assassinated on sunday

Tenka, who's usually good with written english, made a mistake there.

Tenka, whose sentence mixed up "whose' and "who's", might now learn the correct usage.

The former is a contraction of "who is". The latter shows possession.

EDIT: forum doesnt seem to be showing me most recent posts until I respond to something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tenka, whose sentence mixed up "whose' and "who's", might now learn the correct usage.

Except that 'the former' is 'the one mentioned earlier than the latter', so you've got them the wrong way round ... </pedantry>

Except that 'the former' is 'the one mentioned earlier than the latter', so you've got them the wrong way round ... </pedantry>
Thanks, I just woke up - the easy way to remember that is "the latter" equals "the later of the two".

5 year old's homework assignment goes viral

AqkuZh7.jpg

Back