App Browser

sepulep

Pending a proper app store application for the caanoo I have hacked ;) together a browser for the openhandhelds
repository, to download and install stuff directly from the Caanoo

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,35,775

(shoot - I forgot to change the category)

it needs python:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,19,774

Let me know what you think....

FANTASTIC!!!!! :lol: :lol: :D :D
well, there are the bugs i found: at some time it crash, when it has to load a lot of dats; another bug is the RAR file, It download the rar but it say that it can't install... it will be fixed implemented a rar open program
anyway you have done a very interesting work but please it need a lot of work :unsure:

kayuz said:
FANTASTIC!!!!! :lol: :lol: :D :D
well, there are the bugs i found: at some time it crash, when it has to load a lot of dats; another bug is the RAR file, It download the rar but it say that it can't install... it will be fixed implemented a rar open program
anyway you have done a very interesting work but please it need a lot of work :unsure:

thanks! this feedback is very helpful! :) the rar files should be doable, although the Caanoo doesn't have an unrar command by default :( . When it crashes, does it really crash or does it get stuck (does it continue after a long time, say 10 min)?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks! this feedback is very helpful! the rar files should be doable, although the Caanoo doesn't have an unrar command by default . When it crashes, does it really crash or does it get stuck (does it continue after a long time, say 10 min)?
return to CAANOO menu ;)

kayuz said:
thanks! this feedback is very helpful! the rar files should be doable, although the Caanoo doesn't have an unrar command by default . When it crashes, does it really crash or does it get stuck (does it continue after a long time, say 10 min)?
return to CAANOO menu ;)

I have added rar and tar.gz support; the new version has not yet appeared on the archive for some reason though :angry: , hopefully this resolves itself...

GREAT! look forward to see the new improvement... i upload a new version of solitarie and it isn't there :(

sepulep said:
kayuz said:
return to CAANOO menu ;)

I have added rar and tar.gz support; the new version has not yet appeared on the archive for some reason though :angry: , hopefully this resolves itself...

this is manual work for evildragon, he has to approve every updated app by hand.

crow_riot said:
sepulep said:
kayuz said:
return to CAANOO menu ;)

this is manual work for evildragon, he has to approve every updated app by hand.

oh, I see... in that case I will be a bit careful with updates! B)

so... this is a GREAT app for the caanoo and nobody write anything about it?
why? :(

kayuz said:
so... this is a GREAT app for the caanoo and nobody write anything about it?
why? :(
Eee, maybe lack of internet on caanoo? ;-) Caanoo does not support many wifi dongles :D And some caanoo are back to their motherland (oder Vaterland) due to warranty :D

:p damn, i haven't think this :lol: not all caanoo users have the official dongle

I uploaded a small update (v3), which has some small improvements - e.g. there is no more file size limit (well at least it doesn't try to hold zip files into memory - it may be a little bit slower for zip files now, but I haven't really noticed)..

As for the dongle it's a chicken and egg problem: why spend for a dongle if there is no good use, why develop if nobody has a dongle... :lol:

sepuleb? i found a bug; today i was trying to download Super Mario War by the app browser... http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,25,789
well, the file is big but no problem to donwloading and installing... but when i go to game folder, on the caanoo menù it won't run... why? i try also with the explorer but no lack. after, i try to down and install by the pc and all work good...
i check on the sd card is regularment donwloaded and installed with a smw folder and smw INI... but it won't work :(
ops, i have listened on the description of the app that the caanoo need reset to see the new installed app... ops, excuse me :lol: :lol:

a suggestion for the app... can you add to see the images of the app to donwload^thx will be more easy to see what you are downloading... ;)

kayuz said:
sepuleb? i found a bug; today i was trying to download Super Mario War by the app browser... http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,25,789
well, the file is big but no problem to donwloading and installing... but when i go to game folder, on the caanoo menù it won't run... why? i try also with the explorer but no lack. after, i try to down and install by the pc and all work good...
i check on the sd card is regularment donwloaded and installed with a smw folder and smw INI... but it won't work :(
ops, i have listened on the description of the app that the caanoo need reset to see the new installed app... ops, excuse me :lol: :lol:

a suggestion for the app... can you add to see the images of the app to donwload^thx will be more easy to see what you are downloading... ;)
it's confusing, and I still have to look into the reason for this (the gp2xmenu gets restarted, but apparently it caches the menu somehow): for some applications the reset is not needed, for some it is :wacko:

about the images: I agree this may be a good idea especially the recent and popular menu's provide little info about the apps...
also thinking about other improvements: like option to overwrite existing version of an app, still thinking about a good way to handle libraries
(bennugd) and other stuff w/o ini. On a deeper level I would like to know if there's a way to improve the slowdown which happens when writing and/or reading to the filesystem...

ya, similar the similar app on the Pandora, you can see the avaible updates... what apps you already have... the correlated images...
ops, too dreaming for the CAANOO? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sepulep, I'm amazed how great this application is. I was thinking that you should indicate a “standard” that should be used in order to upload a file. Then EvilDragon could add this “standard” as a suggestion in the Add File page.

Seeing that you are already working with the gp2xmenu issue and the screenshots, I give you a new idea. How about listing all the installed applications plus an uninstall option? You can basically look for all the .ini's under APP and GAME and show it. Then to delete an application would be as easy as removing the directory indicated in the .ini selected (plus the ini of course :p )

kloppix said:
Sepulep, I'm amazed how great this application is. I was thinking that you should indicate a “standard” that should be used in order to upload a file. Then EvilDragon could add this “standard” as a suggestion in the Add File page.

Seeing that you are already working with the gp2xmenu issue and the screenshots, I give you a new idea. How about listing all the installed applications plus an uninstall option? You can basically look for all the .ini's under APP and GAME and show it. Then to delete an application would be as easy as removing the directory indicated in the .ini selected (plus the ini of course :p )

thanks! as for the standard: pretty anything will work as long as it conforms to the caanoo ini+dir menu system. The only thing that often goes wrong is the bennugd runtime library: it is often included as /game/bgd-runtime -but then different version of the library are used and are mutally incompatible (?), so the proper way to do this is to have the bgd as a sub in the game directory - I have some ideas to go around this (I have the philosophy of trying to make things work as they are rather than to expect people to go back and fix their zip files :rolleyes: )

about the uninstall: it is not a priority, you can uninstall with the gp2xmenu explorer. To properly implement this there should be a sort of database system, because the name of the directory+ini often do not correspond to the app name... (database is not very difficult with python, but still a bit more work...)

I have updated with a new version btw, with the screenshots implemented. And I found the fix for the games that do not show up in the menu (the files have to have set the executable bit: this is done now. The vfat of course doesn't record permissions, after a reboot disk mounts with the permissions set ok: this was the reasons a reboot would cause the missing games to appear). I reset some linux buffering parameters, may improve io a bit, but I am not sure...

Back