Apex Design Interview

Hooka

That Guy!
Website
Visit site
Hello once again all you GP2Xer's!
Well, I did it again! "Ges who rite tunite inturvew? kmon ges!" Uhh, yeah I interviewed the developer behind Payback for GP2X, and the spoils of war go to you! You can check it out Here!

And for those of you who are still waiting for me to make a nice, finished product out of my wolf3d port... well, uh, I never said I was good at coding... BUT! I have been working on it and will hopefully throw a beta up for some of you to test and give feedback on in a couple days, thanks for your patience!

Another thing is, support you developers, I'm sure Apex Designs would appreciate your purchase of Payback, but also your homebrew and emu devs could probably use a donation whenever possible :)

6 hours till it's time to wake up, I'd best be booking! Have a good one everybody!

"You can't squeeze cheese from a goat until it's hatched!" - some guy off ren & stimpy
TJ Hooka

Thanks, I enjoyed reading the interview...

Hooka posted on Feb 5 2007 at 06:44 AM said:
Hooka: Did you add any cheat codes to the GP2X version?

James: There's only one and that's just for test purposes (it unlocks all the levels) - nothing very exciting I'm afraid.

So does anybody know what the code is? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
What a nice read, thanks a lot Hooka :) I always look forward to your interviews, and your Wolf3d is already running perfectly as far as I can see :)

- Alex

Draken posted on Feb 5 2007 at 05:11 PM said:
It uses the stick click as far as I know for saving. :p

Crap, I guess I can't save games then. I guess it makes it more of a challenge :p

This has been a rather interesting interview, although I do have one question for James that was not covered in the interview:

In the interview, James was quoted as saying "...the CPU is similar to the GBAs which meant getting the game running wasn't too tricky, but the extra power allowed for much improved graphics, sound and more fluid gameplay."
This begs the question, does this mean that James can easily make a full speed GBA emulator using the knowledge gained from coding the GP2X version of Payback if he desired to do so?

Planet_M posted on Feb 5 2007 at 10:31 AM said:

James: There's only one and that's just for test purposes (it unlocks all the levels) - nothing very exciting I'm afraid.

Sure ;) How do you think betatesting does work? ;)
But I won't tell it and spoil the fun :)

Last edited:
DaveC posted on Feb 5 2007 at 06:59 PM said:
Draken posted on Feb 5 2007 at 05:11 PM said:
It uses the stick click as far as I know for saving. :p
Crap, I guess I can't save games then. I guess it makes it more of a challenge :p

You can use the B button or click the stick to select any of the menu options, including the "save game" option.

Aryn posted on Feb 5 2007 at 07:05 PM said:
This begs the question, does this mean that James can easily make a full speed GBA emulator using the knowledge gained from coding the GP2X version of Payback if he desired to do so?

Although the CPU is fairly similar there are a couple of things that make a GBA emulator difficult:

1) The GBA has a fair amount of custom hardware for rotating, scaled sprites, tiles, etc. which is quite tricky to emulate.

2) Emulating the CPU shouldn't be a big problem in most cases (the code should run directly), but the GBA's CPU has a few subtle differences (shorter pipeline, no instruction or data caches) that allow tricks such as self-modifying code that aren't efficient on the GP2X's CPU.

I still think it's quite possible to emulate the GBA on the GP2X at full speed - but, when this does happen, please, please don't pirate the GBA version of Payback! :)

Cheers,
James.

EvilDragon posted on Feb 5 2007 at 02:22 PM said:
Planet_M posted on Feb 5 2007 at 10:31 AM said:

Sure ;) How do you think betatesting does work? ;)
But I won't tell it and spoil the fun :)
Awwwwww...

Well, can you give any hints about it? Button press? Area to go to?

Well... you enter a special code as profile name.... but I don't think that'll help ya.

EvilDragon posted on Feb 7 2007 at 02:11 AM said:
Well... you enter a special code as profile name.... but I don't think that'll help ya.

By any chance is special code REPLAY??

I dont have the full game here yet so i cant test

I really, really hope he reuses the engine for a first/third person shooter, racing game or RTS. The GP2X needs more games with graphics engines of that quality.

Back