Anyway To Test An Sd Card On Gp2x Without Copying Data To It

SCTW

Still Fresh
Hi,

I just got my GP2X and want to get a 4GB SD Card for it. I understand there is a computability chart out there but it is not up to date.

I would hate to buy a 4GB SD Card only to find out it does not work, and not be able to return it since I opened it. An electronics store near my house will let me try the SD Card in my GP2X if i bring it to the store.

Is there anyway I can see if the SD card is compatible with my GP2X even if it is blank ? For example, an app that will detect the presence of a 4GB SD card or something like that?

Thanks in advance,

SCTW

copy the terminal program from the archive to your nand, and when you go to try the sd card, insert it, check 'dmesg' and 'df' to see if the card has been recognised.

you could also try to run something from it, get some game/utility thats just a single gpe and place it on nand, then write a little script and place it next to it
CODE

cp your.gpe /mnt/sd/
cd /mnt/sd
./yourgpe

the sd works if it runs.

If the shop owner wont let you copy something to the sd card, you could use sterm like stated, put it on your nand, power on your gp2x and run sterm, then insert the SD card, enter "tail | dmesg" and press b, in the output displayed (you may see messages about "**>>ecc error, ignore this) you should see this output if the card is compatible :

Cropped messy stuff
------
MMC/SD Card Detected
Partition check:
mmosda: p1
Register SD: 3780MsB
mount...1:
MSDOS FS: IO charset utf8
mount...2:
-------
More messy stuff.

If you see the part "MMC/SD Detected" but no "mount" stuff, maybe the SD needs formatting, but the GP2X is seeing it.

Back