Anyone Else Thing The Boxee Box Remote Is Cool?

second exodous

Advanced Member
Here is a pic of the remote, which I think is by far the coolest thing about the box. I'm not going to get one, yet, simply because I want to see it hacked, I want the option of running XBMC on it or at least a Linux desktop before I buy one.

The remote looks like it would be cool for a theater PC but I hope they expand on it with future releases, maybe put a d-pad on it. The keyboard is cool, and on the back is genius. The front has room for 4 buttons on the top and a dpad at the bottom so when turned on its side it is a game controller, but I guess that would suggest emulation since they don't have an app store or anything.

Iorgy77 said:
Isn't boxee based on xbmc in the first place? I thought it was a fork that went commercial.
It is but I use XBMC right now, don't want to change over, I have it setup the way I want it, I just want to copy it over. I've used Boxee but I don't think it does anything special except view paid content which I'm not paying for anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like boxee but I wasn't into xbmc before boxee so I could see how users of that wouldn't be impressed. I think boxee has more official partnerships with sites and has social media functions. I've wanted a box that could run everything on my pc and online sources but didn't want to use a whole pc for that so boxee fits a sweet spot.

Also, on topic that remote is cool and and advantage of getting the box over a media pc. Nice and simple on one side and full keyboard on the other. Boxee isn't too good with a mouse and pc keyboard have more buttons than you'd need to this looks to be the best way to use boxee.

I'm not sure but the boxee team doesn't seem to be opposed to hacking the device so I'd think after some time there would at least be custom firmwares for it that run xmbc.

Back