Any Change Of Plans?

Chip,
OT, I know, but you might consider looking into Geothermal energy systems.
The Northern half of the U.S. (New Jersey, in particular) is a very good location for these setups.
Uses ground water (54 deg. F in NJ) as a heat source in winter, and a heat sink in summer.
Saves 50% or more on heating and cooling costs, and displaces an equivalent amount of oil/coal/natural gas/nuclear energy. Displaces alot of CO2, as well.
This is the future, as far as realistic alternative energy in the U.S. is concerned.
Beats the pants off of solar and wind power systems for the energy savings vs. material investment and energy used in production.
Lots of HVAC work in these things, and each installation is pretty much custom.
I plan on installing one in my house this year.

Good luck.

CandidStan said:
I feel the same way, seems Cronotriggerfan is a rich boy living it up in a palace. If you had to pay taxes, insurance and so on and so forth your tune would change so fast your mouth would disintegrate.
Chrono's post was very reasonable. He said the economy is bad but it isn't the Great Depression. Yes, there are economic problems and many have been affected, but a lot of people make it sound like the entire populace is living out on the streets and wondering where their next meal is coming from.

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
Chip said:
Consequence9 said:
Foehammer said:
Unemployment is still in the single digits unless I missed something
You mean rate, right? Even so, 6% unemployment is nothing to shake a stick at.

It certainly isn't. Especially for me, since I'm part of that statistic as of last week.

I will still be getting a Pandora though. It's already paid for.

I'm sorry to hear that. I wish you luck in finding a new job. ;)

-God Ginrai

+1

Good luck on the job front, Chip!

FWIW I'm taking the refund and I've given up my place in the queue so if anyone missed out there's at least one space opened up.

I'm not exactly on the breadline yet but I started feeling guilty almost as soon as I'd pre-ordered the thing. For the first time in about fifteen years we're in a position where we're laying people off and talking to our suppliers our industry is looking grim. What I do is heavily tied up with construction in general so that hasn't been looking too healthy since the housing bubble burst and now credit vanishing in general is making it hard for people to finance the sort of machinery we supply parts for. These are going to be a challenging couple of years.

Loktofeit said:
CandidStan said:
I feel the same way, seems Cronotriggerfan is a rich boy living it up in a palace. If you had to pay taxes, insurance and so on and so forth your tune would change so fast your mouth would disintegrate.
Chrono's post was very reasonable. He said the economy is bad but it isn't the Great Depression. Yes, there are economic problems and many have been affected, but a lot of people make it sound like the entire populace is living out on the streets and wondering where their next meal is coming from.

Way OT, but...

Well, it all depends on
(1) how you define "as bad as the Great Depression". I define it as "the stock market crash is as bad as the great depression".
(2) If you define it as "personal hardship is as bad as the great depression" then it depends on how much you know about the numbers of folks living below the poverty line today vs. in '29.

With regard to (1) - from an impact on the stock market this is awful close to the Great Depression. A friend of mine wrote a blog article comparing the drop in P&E ratios for the last 100 years. This last drop is very sharp - and it sure isn't over yet. My friend thinks we'll get down into P/E ratios of 10 - I think we may fall below 5 (we're currently down to the 15's). So, stock market data says it's reasonable to compare this to the "great depression".

With regard to (2) - I don't know anything about it - but it would be an interesting study. Perhaps some googling would provide a quick overview? But, I bet you might be quite surprised by the number of folks currently below the poverty line, those folks who have to choose between food on the table or heat for their homes.

Prophet said:
As long as I can find a dry cardboard box to sleep in and newspapers to wrap my feet in, I will still buy the Pandora.
You may joke but i've actually done this for real. At the time I was homeless and sleeping at the local night shelter however they kicked you out at 7am and let you back in at 8pm.

I was in a new town and didn't really know anyone, so for the most of the day I had to amuse myself out on the street. What I did was buy Pokemon Saphire and play it up by the river for most of the day. I did this for two weeks before I got somewhere to live, and I was lucky that the weather was so lovely and lots of sunshine helped me see the screen which was terrible on the first generation GBA.

Yes, I played Pokemon when I was homeless! It really helped pass the time, plus I think the escapist aspect of it helped distract me. When I told a friend about this recently, he said I should send a letter to Nintendo to show them i'm such a hardcore fan.

It's a very weird experience being 'out on the streets', you can't imagine what it's like until it happens to you. It forces you to think about really basic things you take for granted like 'Where am I going to sleep tonight?' and especially in summer ' Where can I get some water from?'.

ashdjones said:
Prophet said:
As long as I can find a dry cardboard box to sleep in and newspapers to wrap my feet in, I will still buy the Pandora.
You may joke but i've actually done this for real. At the time I was homeless and sleeping at the local night shelter however they kicked you out at 7am and let you back in at 8pm.

I was in a new town and didn't really know anyone, so for the most of the day I had to amuse myself out on the street. What I did was buy Pokemon Saphire and play it up by the river for most of the day. I did this for two weeks before I got somewhere to live, and I was lucky that the weather was so lovely and lots of sunshine helped me see the screen which was terrible on the first generation GBA.

Yes, I played Pokemon when I was homeless! It really helped pass the time, plus I think the escapist aspect of it helped distract me. When I told a friend about this recently, he said I should send a letter to Nintendo to show them i'm such a hardcore fan.

It's a very weird experience being 'out on the streets', you can't imagine what it's like until it happens to you. It forces you to think about really basic things you take for granted like 'Where am I going to sleep tonight?' and especially in summer ' Where can I get some water from?'.

Sorry to hear that. I drew that image from reality, because I used to see homeless people in NYC literally living in boxes and using newspaper wraps as shoes when I was younger.

I don't expect that to happen to me (I'm a rabid saver and don't play stocks), but the way things are going, it makes you wonder sometimes.

ashdjones said:
Prophet said:

A friend of mine was homeless over the summer, which in Philadelphia isn't that bad. But, things you take for granted and you don't even think about become real challenges. Going to the bathroom, washing, shaving (just keeping clean in general) which are really important if you want to escape the heat or rain, because if you are dirty, smell or unkempt, you will get kicked out of just about anywhere where you can be comfortable. For the record, I would have put him up, but he's an alcoholic (which is why he was homeless) and I can't have an alcoholic living in my house, plus it takes away the NEED to quit drinking. I would run into him downtown and he would tell me where he slept the night before and how he found a public bathroom where he could basically sponge bathe and shave and stuff. I never knew anyone who was homeless before. In his case, it was really his fault. He had places to go, but couldn't drink and he would rather drink than have a place to live (his mom eventually took him in, but he's not allowed to come home drunk). Fortunately, in Philadelphia, you would have to be really stubborn to not find a meal or drink of water or soda. There are places to eat that are like restaurants that are staffed by volunteers and they serve donated food. The cops don't really mess with them because the county jail is already overcrowded. Even if you want to go to jail, you usually won't. Like you could shoplift and get arrested, but then you get released on your own recognizance (ROR). There are also a lot of shelters, but most homeless won't use them in good weather, only in the winter or severe rain.

Chris

Sorry to hear about your friend. My situation was only temporary really, I sorted out some accomodation within a couple of weeks. Strangely enough I didn't fit into the homeless community because there wasn't anything particularly wrong with me; I just had a bad set of circumstances which left me with nowhere to live.

It's fun listening to tips on how to shoplift while you're eating your dinner, and having TV priviliges taken away because someone left a sooty spoon in the toilets. It was also the first time I slept outdoors (albeit for one night) in the company of a heroin addict on methadone, he was actually a nice guy.

In some ways it was worse than prison - at least get they get a decent budget for facilities!

I had a friend like yours, but because he was a relatively well respected artist he kind of got away with a more bohemian lifestyle. He lived on some land he bought - an old rowing club adjoined to the local park. The place had a kind of surreal magic, but it attracted bad kids like flypaper - they used to seige the place during the night, throwing bricks and firebombs and coming onsite and smashing the place up. It would take ages for the police to turn up because they couldn't get their cars over the field, and they got fed up his of drunken abuse abuse how awfully they did their jobs (they were actually rated one of the worst police forces).

Prophet said:
ashdjones said:
Prophet said:

Sorry to hear that. I drew that image from reality, because I used to see homeless people in NYC literally living in boxes and using newspaper wraps as shoes when I was younger.

I don't expect that to happen to me (I'm a rabid saver and don't play stocks), but the way things are going, it makes you wonder sometimes.

Most people don't know how close they are to being homeless, if even for only a short while (and that includes staying with friends/relatives). Most Americans don't have much in their savings account and a loss of a job in a bad economy like this one can easily cause the rug to be pulled out from under you. Unemployment is good, but for many people it won't be enough. I know people who have beautiful homes and nice cars that live paycheck to paycheck and if one of them lost their job and couldn't find a new one pretty quickly they would be in MAJOR trouble. You should always have 6 months of bills in the bank. If you can't afford to do that, you are living beyond your means.

Chris

christo930 said:
I know people who have beautiful homes and nice cars that live paycheck to paycheck and if one of them lost their job and couldn't find a new one pretty quickly they would be in MAJOR trouble. You should always have 6 months of bills in the bank. If you can't afford to do that, you are living beyond your means.
Absolutely. Or more if you can manage. Also, lay off the crack... I mean, the credit cards. People are way too addicted to credit in this country.

christo930 said:
You should always have 6 months of bills in the bank. If you can't afford to do that, you are living beyond your means.

Chris
Wise words! A pearl of wisdom for sure.

+1

Prophet said:
christo930 said:
I know people who have beautiful homes and nice cars that live paycheck to paycheck and if one of them lost their job and couldn't find a new one pretty quickly they would be in MAJOR trouble. You should always have 6 months of bills in the bank. If you can't afford to do that, you are living beyond your means.
Absolutely. Or more if you can manage. Also, lay off the crack... I mean, the credit cards. People are way too addicted to credit in this country.

selling drugs is always a viable secondary source of income.

The conversation here is interesting, but it doesn't have anything to do with the Pandora anymore (only marginally to begin with). Moved to off topic.

Prophet said:
christo930 said:

I've never understood the USA way to pay. They use so much credit cards and so less real cash or at least wire transfer. Call me "Conservative" but I prefer CASH like many people here in Europe. You simply have more control over your money because you only can pay as much money you have in the pocket. ;) Same thing with wire transfer from bank to bank. If you don't have money onto your Bank account, you usualy can't make big shopping.

OK, you can't compare this with USA, especialy the Bank Situation. In Germany we have for example the "Sparkasse", its a public Bank, controlled by the Country. AFAIK the people here are World champions in "putting money onto the Bank account and not into the next Car or IPhone or whatever..." :D You don't get much Interest for your money but the money is save! (unlike the big profit orientated private Banks these days) Because the State GUARANTEES that you don't loose your money, a nice and save effect so You don't have to put yout money under your pillow (and because your house can burn down ;) )

I have NO credit card, I don't need a credit card, I don't want a credit card. I have a simple bank-card where you can take money from the bank account or reloading mobile phone cards and so on. I don#t have much money but I've never had debts.
So I strongly recommend not to use credit cards. Go the old fasioned way, especialy these days.

*sorry for my bad english*

fusion_power said:
I have NO credit card, I don't need a credit card, I don't want a credit card. I have a simple bank-card where you can take money from the bank account or reloading mobile phone cards and so on. I don#t have much money but I've never had debts.
So I strongly recommend not to use credit cards. Go the old fasioned way, especialy these days.
Amen brotha.

I also do not use credit cards. I'm cash and debit only. And believe me, that's unusual here.

I was raised in a depression era family, and it was constantly drummed in my head to save, spend only what you can afford, buy what you really need, not live beyond your means, delay gratification etc.

The result is I own everything I have and don't owe anyone a dime. In a depression or recession, I know how to cope. I don't know how many Americans out there can say the same these days.

fusion_power said:
Prophet said:
christo930 said:

I've never understood the USA way to pay. They use so much credit cards and so less real cash or at least wire transfer. Call me "Conservative" but I prefer CASH like many people here in Europe. You simply have more control over your money because you only can pay as much money you have in the pocket. ;) Same thing with wire transfer from bank to bank. If you don't have money onto your Bank account, you usualy can't make big shopping.

OK, you can't compare this with USA, especialy the Bank Situation. In Germany we have for example the "Sparkasse", its a public Bank, controlled by the Country. AFAIK the people here are World champions in "putting money onto the Bank account and not into the next Car or IPhone or whatever..." :D You don't get much Interest for your money but the money is save! (unlike the big profit orientated private Banks these days) Because the State GUARANTEES that you don't loose your money, a nice and save effect so You don't have to put yout money under your pillow (and because your house can burn down ;) )

*sorry for my bad english*

Credit cards have a couple of useful uses, but for the most part they are a trap. You do need one for renting a car and they come in handy in TRUE emergencies. They are also good to pay for big purchases (stereo's computers, Pandora's...) so long as you pay the balance in full when it comes in. But most Americans don't use them this way They use them to pay for today's excess with tomorrows prosperity. The trouble with living this way is when the credit runs out, you can't finance today's junk with tomorrow's prosperity anymore and much of your current prosperity is paying for yesterday's excesses in the form of credit card debt.
One big advantage for me in using cash is that I feel much more like I am spending real money when I'm using cash and am less likely to buy impulsively. It just almost seems like you are not spending real money when you spend through credit cards, which you then pay at the end of the month with a check. It just feels different and using cash makes me think twice. I'll give an example. I was looking for recordable dvds a couple weeks ago and I stumbled across a mini laptop I really thought was cool. I had the cash on me to buy it but no credit card with me. I know if I had that credit card with me I would have bought it. It might be just me, but somehow buying with credit cards just seems so much different than buying with cash and buying with cash makes me ask if I really want it and I can really justify buying it.
Another thing people do is buy stuff on credit that don't last as long as the bill like going out to eat or movies or concerts etc. I have heard from financial people that you should only buy things on credit that will last as long as the payments. So it makes sense to finance a house or a car or even a stereo or computer so long as you're not financing for longer than the useful lifespan of what you're buying.

Chris

Back