Any Chance Of Android?

Reknel

Still Fresh
I haven't found much info about Android on Pandora. Are there any news? Does someone intend to port it?

yes I think it was already shown to be running

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbFSv7lYuGg

offtopic: forgot how nice those white ones were looking :D

I think this would be a suitable OS for the pandora. BTW where are the files for Android installation? I haven't been able to find them. Or do I have to compile it?

Pandora's in White or Blue paint would look very cool.

Reknel said:
I think this would be a suitable OS for the pandora. BTW where are the files for Android installation? I haven't been able to find them. Or do I have to compile it?

Pandora's in White or Blue paint would look very cool.

Have patience young padawan, you'll find it when the time is right :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Android is open source and the Motorola Milestone/Droid uses the same chipset/CPU, so assuming there's drivers for the wifi/GPU/touchscreen etc then it should run perfectly. It would bring a massive following to Pandora, Android is massive.

In my opinion the google search results are usually better than the builtin forum search. Google:

Code:
site:gp32x.de android

This looks very awesome and I hope something happens about it, but there's something I just don't like about touch-screen controls like that, and frequent use of the accelerometer. It reminds me of why there's so much shovelware for the Wii. Publishers/developers' insistence on conforming to the "unique" control style. I'm sure many of these Android games are great and I'd be glad to play them on my Pandora, but I'm a bit doubtful that there will be a good selection of "serious" games for the platform.

There's also the fact that the Pandora might be difficult to use with the accelerometer. With portrait games as part of the immersion sometimes you're meant to hold the bottom of the Android phone below the screen and look at the screen whilst tilting it. Since the Pandora is like a DS this wouldn't really work without breaking the immersion a bit.

I'm not trying to complain about the whole concept of running it on a Pandora though. Personally I can't wait.

Mantis said:

There's also the fact that the Pandora might be difficult to use with the accelerometer. With portrait games as part of the immersion sometimes you're meant to hold the bottom of the Android phone below the screen and look at the screen whilst tilting it. Since the Pandora is like a DS this wouldn't really work without breaking the immersion a bit.

I'm not trying to complain about the whole concept of running it on a Pandora though. Personally I can't wait.

For the most part I would just like to tether it to my phone and use GPS and A2DP, since the OS is well optimized to be used in car-dock fashion. Not interested in the games much, but a Wiimote mod will probably have to be implemented sooner or later :)

I can't wait for my Pandora, but in addition to games and emulators, I am interested in other applications and Android would be a great way of extending the Pandora (Pandroid) in a different direction

The following shows some interesting non games which would be great if they could run. I am particularly interested in Evernote and Beebplayer, and I believe there is a slingbox player being released soon which could be interesting

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/30-best-free-android-apps-687252?artc_pg=2

Evernote provide an API so you could get all excited and write you own client for Pandora. The webpage is pretty good but doesn't work in some browsers. 

Even if Android were ported to the Pandora, that wouldn't mean that the Android Marketplace would be available to us. And I'm fairly certain that the Google Apps (Gmail, Google Maps, etc.) wouldn't be.

Lunatic said:
Even if Android were ported to the Pandora, that wouldn't mean that the Android Marketplace would be available to us. And I'm fairly certain that the Google Apps (Gmail, Google Maps, etc.) wouldn't be.
Not legally, no.

Back