Any Chance Firmware 4.0 Will Be Available For Mk2?

b_o_b said:
Moxie said:
Where do I send the money, or should I send something else?
Sounds like a threat to me :lol:

But serious, I really want to see Open2X and I am willing to donate something after it is released.

No threat - I meant more like Rokdcasbah, who offers to send his MK1. I have no MK1 to send, so I could possibly send some nice beer or some swedish surströmming to cheer things up :)

Donating after a release is all well and good, but if the problem is a lack of hardware to actually get a workable release, bounties don't help much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie said:
PokeParadox said:
DR2 of Open2X was great for me. Only thing I had against it was TV out troubles and USB HDD support, but I expected missing features to be present since it was the Dev Release.
TV out at least is fixable (you just have to enable it from a separate application, or exit GMenu2X after enabling it and then relaunch) and we did start to make a little progress with USB host but then as DJWillis said, I don't have a working GP2X since my one got bricked and I've been struggling to get it going again :(.

I have a MK1 GP2x you can have, It is in almost totally unused condition (About 8 hours use),. It was one of the units Craigix was selling via his "280 mhz Guaranteed" Ebay auction fairly recently.

I am based in london, So all you have to do is send me an address to post it to post paid, And it`s yours, If you want it.

Post here or PM me if you are interested.

Here`s a picture.

EDIT: Size reduced, It`s only 225KB now. :)

Trooper

rokdcasbah said:
i will donate my mk1 if it means there will someday be an open2x release. i guess you guys can draw straws? if someone wants it, pm me.
That's very kind, if your serious give Orkie a shout as he should be the person to get his 2X sorted out.

To be honest I am my own worst enemy and as such need to sort my own GP2X out ;) (or rather pull my finger out and fix it), the reason I am down to one semi-working GP2X is that I gave away all my working ones when I got bricks in that I could not fix (fooked PCB's etc) so that people where not stuck with duff units (hence being left with this one with a broken SD). Not the cleverest or most supportable idea in retrospect but c'est la vie

Thanks for the votes of support guys. Nice to see some people make use of our stuff.

DJWillis said:
Thanks for the votes of support guys. Nice to see some people make use of our stuff.
More like "Would want to make use of it, if it was available" :)

Now, apparently, you have 2 MK1s on offer :D

Moxie said:
DJWillis said:

You do realise DR2 (and the releases before it going back a long way) has been open to anybody who visits IRC and is happy to sign up to the risks don't you?

It's not some closed beta, you could also build the whole lot from SVN. It's just we like to insist that people know enough to get themselves out of a hole if things go bad as this is a development firmware we are talking about and well sometimes things go wrong. Closer to the 1st full release the more widespread the testing will become ;).

Don't forget also that all of us involved in O2X have a host of other projects we work on.

DJWillis said:
Moxie said:
You do realise DR2 (and the releases before it going back a long way) has been open to anybody who visits IRC and is happy to sign up to the risks don't you?

Don't forget also that all of us involved in O2X have a host of other projects we work on.

Yes, I do. I also have a healthy respect for my own incompetence, and haven't visited IRC since, oh...1999? :)

And, don't get me wrong - In no way do I mean "I want this now, make it for me!!!". If anything, you all sounded a bit like "nobody cares about our project", so I just wanted to point out that some of us do, really. And apparently, enough to give you machines to work on B)

That's one of the reasons I really dislike bounties, by the way. I'm sure b_o_b doesn't mean it like that, and I'm sure most people who sign on a bounty list don't, either, but to me a bounty always feels a bit like dangling a carrot in front of the donkey, if you understand my image, and I don't feel right with the image of the developer as my donkey :lol: :lol: :lol:

Moxie said:
No threat - I meant more like Rokdcasbah, who offers to send his MK1. I have no MK1 to send, so I could possibly send some nice beer or some swedish surströmming to cheer things up :)

Donating after a release is all well and good, but if the problem is a lack of hardware to actually get a workable release, bounties don't help much.
Send me the beer....

Disclaimer: Open2x Will Not Be Public Any Time Sooner For Sending Sam The Beer

Moxie said:
That's one of the reasons I really dislike bounties, by the way. I'm sure b_o_b doesn't mean it like that, and I'm sure most people who sign on a bounty list don't, either, but to me a bounty always feels a bit like dangling a carrot in front of the donkey, if you understand my image, and I don't feel right with the image of the developer as my donkey :lol: :lol: :lol:
That image made me smile :D

sam fisher said:
Moxie said:
Send me the beer....

I could send you the surströmming :)

...though most likely I couldn't - It would probably count as a terrorist attack or something :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming if you (as is very likely) have no idea what I'm talking about...

You can't dangle the bogus carrot of...possible reconciliation in front of my face...whilst riding some other donkey!

Is Open2X available to be used? I thought I was told that it wasn't out.

Does it work well? I was hoping I could try it, since after I updated to 2.1.1, I lost support for plugging my GP2X into my computer over USB.

Moxie said:
Great analogy :lol:

I kind off agree with you disliking bounties, but donating before there is anything usable for the end-user released is something I just don' t do. I have seen people get angry on forums at devs because they had to wait that long for the product they felt they paid for. I don't expect anything from any dev, but if I get something I really like and use they can count on a small donation from me.

Most devs are not affected by donations/bounties anyway, they want to do this because they think it is fun or they are scratching their own itch.
In this case I thought it could help give a bit of extra energy to get this project moving again. And you know if a donkey stops there is only one way to get it moving ;)

Bottem line I'm only saying "guys you're doing a great job, keep it up!".

Thanks for the offers, it would be much appreciated if somebody could send me an F100 (I have a slight preference for trooper's offer so there is no risk of import taxes, but don't feel that you have to :)).

Orkie said:
Thanks for the offers, it would be much appreciated if somebody could send me an F100 (I have a slight preference for trooper's offer so there is no risk of import taxes, but don't feel that you have to :)).
Don`t worry, It will be great to know it`s going to someone who will appreciate it and actually get some use out of it, As no one i know would have a clue of how to use it, Not without being spoon fed their way through it, Which i will not do. I still have my small collection of GP32`s anyway, And still use them alot more than i have or will ever use the GP2x.

PM me an address i can post it to, And ill post it asap via special delivery.

Don`t worry about the postage cost, I sort that out.

Btw Orkie: There is No obligation attached to the passing on of this GP2x what so ever, You do with it what you wish.

Regards

Trooper

Hows about a "http://www.pledgebank.com/" type deal, whereby say 20 of us pledge to buy two new GP2X F200's between us ? I'd happily chip in.

I'm wahay new to this, but the Open2X stuff seems definately the way forward. I'd love to have a decent codebase I can compile my own kernels from, which supports all the hardware on the GP2X. Indeed, I'm more than happy to try and contribute to the userland portion of it, and get some decent utilities in there.

Out of interest, have you guys looked at dietlibc for compiling most of the small bootstrap stuff? you can link busybox against it too, but I'd also like to throw in there felix's minutils and minit... seems perfectly matched for this platform... and yes, I am one of those people obsessed with code size but on devices like this, size really does matter...

Please PM me if you think theres anything I can do to help as well... hell, I'm even considering getting a linux box once again.... ;-)

Back