Any Chance Firmware 4.0 Will Be Available For Mk2?

if a developer owned an f100 it would be nice if they could install firmware 4 so they could make their software compatible. or figure out why some old software is incompatible.

starpause said:
if a developer owned an f100 it would be nice if they could install firmware 4 so they could make their software compatible. or figure out why some old software is incompatible.
Yes, or people could start donating F200s.

Last edited by a moderator:
don said:
Orkie said:
Yes, or people could start donating F200s.
Nice Idea, I'll take one, too.

Oops! I don't write emulators, so I'm out of luck. ;)

Zing!

by the sounds of things you really dont want fw 4.0 its got more bugs than vista plus some emus need tweaking to make them work and its built on a touch screen version

Well, the incompatibilities seem to come from the sound driver.
So installing that FW on an F-100 won't make much sense as it would break the sound completely I guess (new sound amp).

However, it is possible to rip out the menu and run it on an old unit, as I did that on my First Edition.
Question is why, though. You lose Telnet and networking and gain MP3 playing while reading books... hmm...

stormyandcold said:
Hi, any chance someone could post f.w. 4.0 for us mk2/1 users to try out?
Good idea. Lets increase our boot time, lose some very useful developer features and stop various emulators from working due to bugs in the firmware ;)

starpause said:
yeah, firmware 4 stinks! where is open2x for f200 :)
Where are the F200s for Open2x developers? :D

This brings up a question in my tech-tard mind though...

Could you flash a F-200 with a lower firmware from and get better compatibility with some of the broken emus at least...? :p

Disclaimer: This theory was conceived after only 1.5 cups of weak coffee…

housemonkey said:
Could you flash a F-200 with a lower firmware from and get better compatibility with some of the broken emus at least...? :p
It's looking more and more like GPH really screwed up with the F200 regards things like changing the USB chip (and loosing Telnet, FTP, Samba etc. in the process).

You could I suspect get an F200 to boot older firmware (or O2X) but you would loose USB, the touchscreen and sound to name a few issues oh and I am not sure the screen would work ;). Anybody want to give me an F200 so I can find out :D.

starpause said:
yeah, firmware 4 stinks! where is open2x for f200 :)
Considering that there are only a few active O2X developers and Orkie is currently GP2X'less and I am down to one working unit and that has a faulty SD slot so I have to move code via serial or USB things are going a little slow.

Add to that the fact, as mentioned above, supporting the F200 will be (at least to start with) a real pain in the arse as we have to find a way to detect one over the other at the hardware level and then deal with loading the correct drivers for sound, USB etc.

GPH have also not posted up firmware 4 on there GPL SVN (what a shock) so we will either have to push them for source or get the driver from somewhere else to support the USB chip. Yet more hassle and frankly after years of having to try and do cool stuff with GPH doing all they can to screw it up it is all getting a little tired ;).

GPH have been shielded by some great suppliers who really buy into the community and have helped us to work out issues, with the suppliers seeming to loose faith with GPH its not a good situation.

Personally I feel other then supporting ScummVM I am getting to the point of finding something new to mess with. Open2x is great as it is but with 3 active devs and GPH putting road blocks up for us well it stops being fun to do.

If people can find a way to put the fun back into the 2X I am all ears :D.

DJWillis said:
GPH have been shielded by some great suppliers who really buy into the community and have helped us to work out issues, with the suppliers seeming to loose faith with GPH its not a good situation.

When the craigonator is released GPH can stop making another device, because I'm pretty sure there will be no interest for another product they make. The problem isn't that they make bad products, the problem is they don't communicate with their clients. Openmoko is a great example how it should work, they released a half finished product and admitted that. Most people couldn't even phone with the damn thing, but everybody is OK with it because they informed everybody before the released it, The firmware was buggy and they warned non devs not to buy it. I like that approach.

DJWillis said:
Personally I feel other then supporting ScummVM I am getting to the point of finding something new to mess with. Open2x is great as it is but with 3 active devs and GPH putting road blocks up for us well it stops being fun to do.

If people can find a way to put the fun back into the 2X I am all ears :D.
This community made the GPH products succeed, and they will certainly lose them after the F200. The Craigonator will still take a few more months before its release, so I hope as much as possible devs will start developing for the F200. The touchscreen will add some great possibilities. I'm exited about that and hope we will see some great stuff.

Releasing Open2X would be amazing, even if it has some small problems or it is not that easy to install (just warn people for the risks). When more people install and use it this will cause some attention for your hard work and maybe even some praise :).
I'm also pretty sure you will receive a couple of donations what will make programming a bit more fun or help you buy a F200 ;)

I would love to see Open2X on my F100 (and F200).
BTW. Touchscreen support for ScummVM would be fantastic!

DR2 of Open2X was great for me. Only thing I had against it was TV out troubles and USB HDD support, but I expected missing features to be present since it was the Dev Release.

I hope you can continue with enough motivation to push a public release out. Booting straight into GMenu2X for the interface was awesome rather than using the crappy autorun feature of the default firmware.

PokeParadox said:
DR2 of Open2X was great for me. Only thing I had against it was TV out troubles and USB HDD support, but I expected missing features to be present since it was the Dev Release.
TV out at least is fixable (you just have to enable it from a separate application, or exit GMenu2X after enabling it and then relaunch) and we did start to make a little progress with USB host but then as DJWillis said, I don't have a working GP2X since my one got bricked and I've been struggling to get it going again :(.

This, like, sucks.

I have been a little bit away from my GP2x for a while (mainly been too stressed out to follow the forums, and been playing Advance Wars 2 on the GBA Micro on my commuting trips), but Open2x really, really is my most wanted release for the GP evah, since I first heard of it. This includes the F-200, even if it worked properly - Given a choice between a shiny brand new F-200, with a working firmware that has fixed all the stuff with telnet, backwards compatability et al, and a release (even with small niggles) of Open2x, I'd go for the Open2x without second thought.

Is there anything we could do to help things? Can we donate to a "Give Orkie a new GP2x and DjWillis a SD-slot repair"-fund? I have no idea what the going price for a Good Old GP2x is these days, but I pledge, uh, 20 euros straight off to the "Tools for Open2x"-account. I imagine there are more people who'd do the same. Where do I send the money, or should I send something else?

i will donate my mk1 if it means there will someday be an open2x release. i guess you guys can draw straws? if someone wants it, pm me.

edit: i should mention, i have an f200 now, so i'm not some gp2x martyr :D

Moxie said:
Where do I send the money, or should I send something else?

Sounds like a threat to me :lol:

But serious, I really want to see Open2X and I am willing to donate something after it is released. A bounty of 10 Euro for a working F100 release and another 10 for a working F200 release.
Maybe the wiki could be updated with this info http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/GP2X_Bounties looks like it isn't maintained in a while.

Back