Antenna Design?

Grench

Forum Addict!
I understand that there is work underway for the antenna design. I searched but could not find a thread where this is addressed directly or had any discussion or ideas beyond 'working on it'.

Since this is a (somewhat) community project, I thought I would throw out an idea and see if anyone has an inside scoop on how the antenna design project was working.

Has anyone considered a (or couple of) fractal patch antennas behind the screen in the lid?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal_antenna

No, I have never built one. Just throwing out an idea.

The HW is practically done and the antenna goes around the LCD AFAIK... the design process is long over

yeah I have looked at those myself but have no idea if they really work any better and obviously it would be harder to implement

if you want long range wifi one of those cantennas should work or any directional antenna for that matter would be better than the defualt one

Grench said:
I understand that there is work underway for the antenna design. I searched but could not find a thread where this is addressed directly or had any discussion or ideas beyond 'working on it'.

Since this is a (somewhat) community project, I thought I would throw out an idea and see if anyone has an inside scoop on how the antenna design project was working.

Has anyone considered a (or couple of) fractal patch antennas behind the screen in the lid?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal_antenna

No, I have never built one. Just throwing out an idea.

The wikipedia article seems to suggest that the idea is patented, sadly

Last edited by a moderator:
[O/T]
Excuse my off topic post - but seeing as this is a wifi antenna post and you are all nice guys...

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two products:
WiFi-Sleuth or Wi-Spy?

I have a project that is using Wi-Fi devices in a kitchen environment (yeah, lots of microwaves :( ) and I need to do some RF analysis and figure out if we can make things work. So, I'm looking at (cheap/affordable/entry level) spectrum analysis tools for the 2.4GHz range.

Does anyone out in pandora land have experience with these tools - or another tool of similar capabilities/price?

Thanks - and apologies for the off-topicness
[/O/T]

benjymous said:
The wikipedia article seems to suggest that the idea is patented, sadly
There are a lot of things patented, including a lot in the ARM processor. That hasn't stopped the pandora. Patents do not mean it is unusable.

well there are some problems with that approach to antenna design:

2. US Patents: 6104349; 6127977; 6140975; 6445352; 6452553; 6476766; 6985122; 7019695; 7126537; 7145513; 7190318;7215290; 7256751.

u9i said:
There are a lot of things patented, including a lot in the ARM processor. That hasn't stopped the pandora. Patents do not mean it is unusable.
please read up on the following topics: "patent", "licensing", "expense"

don't you mean "patent"->"licensing"-> "expense"? :p

Interesting design. But I don't think they should have every right to an antenna array design based on fractals. They can't patent fractals, I think there are just some biased(or otherwise) lobbyists out there that helped push through their patents.

Back