Another VirtualDub Question

manduck

Still Fresh
I was trying to load up a file in VirtualDub to convert, but I got this error:-

"Not supported: Microsoft own US patent #6,041,345 on the ASF file format, preventing third-party applications from extracting data from ASF files. ASF file format support was removed as of V1.3d at the request of Microsoft and to avoid patent infringement claims... blah blah blah"

So I cursed Microsoft's name for a while, but then I thought, why not find V1.3c of VirtualDub, that'll show Bill Gates. I did that and the old version of VirtualDub started to load up the file fine, but when it got to the end of processing it I got the error:-

"Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'MP43' (Microsoft High-Speed MPEG-4 V3)"

Any ideas?

could that be because of a missing codec?
The nimo codec pack fixed all of my codec problems....
http://nimo.titanesk.com/nimo/
I don't know much about codecs apart from the fact that that pack is good..... >.>;;;
(where's Bonks when you need him :D)

EDIT
From the description of the content of Nimo pack V5.0 build 8:
Coder & decoder MS MPEG-4 (For ASF/DivX Conversion)(mpg4,mp42,mp43).

That should work then ;D

aaahhh(draws breath and faints), some people, :rolleyes:

I mean, The answer is sometimes staring them in the face, Then with a quick google they could probably sort their problem out. Thats if they have ever heard of google :blink: :blink: :blink: .

If no joy after that, Then post here.

I suppose some people have to have the problem bite them in the ass before they realise what is wrong or what they have to do to sort it out.

honestly, I'd rather ask and answer the questions here since I'm positive I'll get a better answer than at google. The stuff has already been used and I know it'll work. And it takes only very little of my time to answer these posts. Hell, trooper, you took time to complain, how was that post any more useful. Not trying to start a flame war, just saying that I consider this is what this board is for. Good info, good roms, good stuff ;D

Another solution to avoid 1.3c is to get TMPGEnc. Although I didn't know about 1.3c, and TMPGEnc costs $$, so I will be downloading it :D Thanks

cazssiew posted on May 17 2003 said:
honestly, I'd rather ask and answer the questions here since I'm positive I'll get a better answer than at google. The stuff has already been used and I know it'll work. And it takes only very little of my time to answer these posts. Hell, trooper, you took time to complain, how was that post any more useful. Not trying to start a flame war, just saying that I consider this is what this board is for. Good info, good roms, good stuff ;D
No flame war intended. :)

I have also helped out on numerous occasions,

It`s just that the answers are soooooo obvious sometimes and what with the vast resource/tomb we call the internet, It may help some people to do a little work for themselves for a change.

Instead of being lazy "sometimes" and not even trying. If that then fails, Then by all means post away.

All i am saying is that It doesn`t hurt anyone to just try and help themselves every once in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree with you :) , it's just that in this instance, I myself had some trouble finding a solution to my codec problems. I didn't even know what a codec was before Bonks helped me out with the Nimo pack. Once you do know about stuff, these questions might seem beyond obvious, but I don't consider codec usage to be common knowledge. well, USING them obviously is, but I didn't have ANY idea AVIs could be made in different ways. I thought DivX files were .dvx filetype.
I'm just trying to think about what I knew when I still was a mindless blob of gree goo... not that anyone else here is ^^;;;;;

cazssiew posted on May 17 2003 said:
honestly, I'd rather ask and answer the questions here since I'm positive I'll get a better answer than at google. The stuff has already been used and I know it'll work. And it takes only very little of my time to answer these posts.
"Hi, I'm lazy."

Now isn't it convenient to quote only a small part of what I said and use it against me. Why don't you read the post I made right before yours, flack.
There's no point in being rude.

Jesus, I didn't mean to start a fight. Though Trooper, cazssiew did just call your mum fat, but you didn't here it from me.

Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people.

manduck posted on May 18 2003 said:
Jesus, I didn't mean to start a fight. Though Trooper, cazssiew did just call your mum fat, but you didn't here it from me.

Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm not being rude, I'm summarizing what you said. To paraphrase your quote, you said, "I'd rather ask questions here than go find the answer myself." What people don't realize is, the same questions get asked here over, and over, and over. 90% of the questions that come through here [a] have been asked before and can be found by searching the forums, have been asked so many times that people have written FAQs and/or devoted websites to them, or [c] are plainly explained in the readme files.

Two days ago someone asked, "does Castaway support disk swapping?" Simply checking the readme would answer that question. The day after I spent several hours testing various NES games on fNES, making a movie of those games, mixing the whole thing together, compressing to DiVX, putting the movie online, and posting about it, someone responded and asked, "do the games run well?" I've received several e-mail requests and irc requests to send them the emulator.

So, forgive me if I come off short after reading a hundred posts of, "OMG CRAIGX IS A FAG HE SENT ME A BAD GP32 HE SUX0RS" only to be followed by, "N/M I CHANGED BATTERIES AND IT'S OKAY NOW LOL". The GP32 has gained popularity over the past few months, and it was only a matter of time before GamePark began separating into two groups -- those who do the work, research, testing and helping, and those who show up and complain/flame/beg/bitch/moan/gripe/whine.

Flack I definitely agree with what you're saying about the lamers that get pissed for no reason, but would you please be so kind as to read the question in this thread.... Where is there any flaming, where is there a complaint directed towards somebody.
video files don't come with readmes.
Where did I say I was down with the bitching. Just check my posts on shah's thread. I hate that stuff. But when it's an honest question being asked humbly, where on earth is the problem?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

EDIT
Oh right, and would you mind, yet again, reading al of my posts on this page. I've basically repeated all of what I said over again, but for some reason, it doesn't seem to go through to you (naaaaah, I wasn't rude just there >.>;;;;)

I have a question that searching hasn't answered for me...

ASF works, but not WMV! I thought WMV was just ASF renamed but VDub1.3c loads the file in then says it can't understand the format.

edit - Seems I have to get Windows Media Encoder 7, re-encode the file to WMV again, then load it.

Still confused

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=284094

SUMMARY
The only difference between ASF files and WMV or WMA files are the file extensions and the MIME types. The MIME type for a WMV file is video/x-ms-wmv, and for WMA it is audio/x-ms-wma. The MIME type for ASF is video/x-ms-asf. The basic internal structure of the files is identical.

MORE INFORMATION
The change in extensions was made to make it easier for an application to identify the content of a media file. A .wma file extension designates a file containing only audio. A .wmv extension designates a file containing both video and audio.

According to Microsoft, they are the same. The only thing I'm thinking is, maybe it's a newer WMV codec or something?

Back