Another Topic Of Questions(asked By Yet Another Newbie)

Zoppe

hello everyone, Greetings from Brazil.

The pandora is a very promising console and i liked it very much.

I have a few questions.

1. will i be able to use the pandora as a usb keyboard?

2. will i be able to use the pandora as a usb controller?

3. if yes. will i be able to use the pandora as a controller on consoles that have usb ports?(ps2, ps3, xbox, etc.)

4. Will i be able to use the pandora as a usb Mic?

5. will/can it have av-in?

6. can i use an ipod as a external harddrive and have the ipod power itself?

7. if i run any linux application that had not been nported to pandora on the bandora, what will happen?

8. Will it be sold in Brazil?

9. Will it be sold in Japan?

10. will it be easy to use?

11. is the d-pad good for fighting games?

12. will it have an external battery charger?

13. will it have some kind of cradle like the gp2x?

14. if yes. what functions it will have?

15. will it bring my uncle back from the dead? will it get me laid more than the psp? can it come with a hot woman inside a cake? will it emulate the xbox 720/Playstation 4/yuu? will it come with free money?

thanks in advance

1,2,3,4: No.
5: Sure. You can add any AV in USB unit you like... As long as you can find drivers for it.
6: Not sure. Probably depends on the iPod.
7: Nothing. Cant run unported software.
8,9: It will be sold online with shipping available worldwide. Does that count as a yes?
10: Depends on your idea of easy to use. Our opinions probably don't match. Most seam to think "yes". If your referring to the software, then A distinct yes. The people who made a custom software for the GP2X will if nothing else make the Panda show it's colours.
11,12: No idea.
13: Probably, but down the line. It's been considered when putting connectors and other design details in there.
14: Who knows. Probably mostly to simplify hooking the Pandora to external static units like your home audio and video systems, keyboard n' mouse, taking care of the USB host powering issues, and so on.
15:
Uncle - probably not.
PSP - Depends on the age of the girls your trying to bang.
Woman with cake - If nobody else will sell it to you that way, i will. Just as always tho. She returns home when the party ends.
XboX720-PS2/yuu - Yes. Well, maybe not the PS2, but surely the PS3 will be fully emulated. Really slow tho.
Free money - Hopefully not, coz if it does someone is bound to buy all the units, and stash them for a rainy day.

Your welcome.
B!

Mr B said:
1,2,3,4: No.
Why wouldn't this be possible? Pandora has full USB host in addition to USB OTG. Someone just needs to write drivers for it (even for the consoles).

Mr B said:
PSP - Depends on the age of the girls your trying to bang.
You mean either would result in a number greater than 0? o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
1,2,3,4 would probably be possible, but not out of the box. Someone would have to develop those features.

Kinda expensive to use a Pandora as an external USB mic though!

hmm, it WOULD be pretty cool to use pandora as a usb gamepad tho... more portable than my current usb gamepad anyway.
laptop+pandora, and i'd have all bases covered :)

anyway,
#5: yes, through usb devices only.

#6: dunno, i cant stand ipods, really. overpriced garb-er, right, no rants... is it possible to read from an ipod on a computer without special drivers or itunes installed? if it can operate as a usb mass storage device (i THINK they can...), it will work with pandora easily.

#7: i dont know exactly... linux would probably spit out some errors and the prog would crash. regardless, it wouldnt work. if you have the source, you MIGHT be able to get by with just a recompile, if the dependancies/libraries it uses are ported already.

#11: this is highly subjective. personally, i think it would be nice to use the analog pads... anyway, there have been several discussions on the dpad, and as with other things the pandora designers have taken the community opinions into account on it.

#12: what exactly do you mean? taking the battery out and charging it seperately? no. a cord and power brick that plug into the pandora and an ac plug? yes. also, it will charge through the usb port, so any device that outputs power through a usb port should concievably be used to charge the pandora.

#13 and 14: since pandora has a full usb host, pretty much anything can be accomplished through that. we have nothing confirmed, but there might be something on the way if the system sells well. for discussion read this thread:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=41686

Zoppe said:
hello everyone, Greetings from Brazil.

The pandora is a very promising console and i liked it very much.

I have a few questions.

1. will i be able to use the pandora as a usb keyboard?

2. will i be able to use the pandora as a usb controller?

3. if yes. will i be able to use the pandora as a controller on consoles that have usb ports?(ps2, ps3, xbox, etc.)

4. Will i be able to use the pandora as a usb Mic?

5. will/can it have av-in?

6. can i use an ipod as a external harddrive and have the ipod power itself?

7. if i run any linux application that had not been nported to pandora on the bandora, what will happen?

8. Will it be sold in Brazil?

9. Will it be sold in Japan?

10. will it be easy to use?

11. is the d-pad good for fighting games?

12. will it have an external battery charger?

13. will it have some kind of cradle like the gp2x?

14. if yes. what functions it will have?

15. will it bring my uncle back from the dead? will it get me laid more than the psp? can it come with a hot woman inside a cake? will it emulate the xbox 720/Playstation 4/yuu? will it come with free money?

thanks in advance
1, maybe
2, maybe
3, maybe
4, maybe
5, Through USB
6, Yes
7, You will unleash the Rapture(Jk) I'm betting it won't work and if it does it will be weird to use because it wasn't ported specifically for Pandora
8, It can be shipped
9, It can be shipped
10, After some Pilot runs developers take on the systems, Yes it will be
11, When Devs get them ask them and I'm betting thety would be more than happy to tell you
12, Yes, you would have to make one yourself. But there are some good ideas running around about Solar USB Chargers and USB Battery Packs. It might be beneficial to invest in some of these
13, Yes, you would have to make it yourself at first but I'm willing to bet that someone will make some to sell especially if pandora takes off..
14, Probably 4 usb ports, Different AV out interfaces, Serial Interface, Bluetooth (maybe this is pushing it)
RJ45, and Maybe some IDE or SATA
15, Ha ha Only if you believe it will

Snu said:
#6: dunno, i cant stand ipods, really. overpriced garb-er, right, no rants... is it possible to read from an ipod on a computer without special drivers or itunes installed? if it can operate as a usb mass storage device (i THINK they can...), it will work with pandora easily.
I think you need iTunes to use an Ipod.

JakeK said:
I think you need iTunes to use an Ipod.
Apple want you to think that so they can bombard you with thousands of updates and install there software library on your PC. Someone at work made the mistake of installing iTunes to copy a few mp3's to his iPod, and overnight there PC then decided to install Quicktime and Safari and change there default browser. It's not limited to iTunes though really, as the PCs with just Quicktime installed got iTunes (even though there was never an iPod connected to that PC) and Safari installed.

The best solution is to never install any Apple software or buy any Apple hardware that requires such software to run.

Now, to answer the original question :))) most iPods can be used a standard mass-storage device, apart from the iPod Touch. This may change later as Apple brings out yet more crap^H^H^H^H editions of the iPod line.

1234 maybe

12 no

Edit:

Apple's software update thingy installs other crap when it updates iTunes.

And you can use an iPod with third-party software.

On the ipod question, I think only the ipod touch does not support 'disk mode'..... but you can always 'jailbreak' the touch and access it through SSH/FTP

Urm... Filezilla on the Pandora, anyone? :) :p

atomicthumbs said:
1234 maybe

12 no

Edit:

Apple's software update thingy installs other crap when it updates iTunes.

And you can use an iPod with third-party software.
Why not #12? if he is good enough he could make one, Oh wait did you mean that it won't be available from the Developers? If so Sorry 'bout that.

I was thinking about the iPod deal myself. The iPod can easily be used as an external drive with Linux - I do it all the time. (I code for the iPod. The originals, not the touch.) The only issue I can foresee is that the iPod might use the Pandora to charge itself. I don't know if this can be somehow prevented, but chances are that using an iPod as an external drive will shorten the battery life of your Pandora and charge your iPod. (Could be kinda useful though...)

Zoppe said:
Well then I'm sorry, but you won't be able to strum it like a ukulele.

About the USB controller thing, would it be possible to have the Pandora as a USB controller for the computer itself? I know I know of a few games that could use this... and now I can't remember which. ;P

javaJake said:
About the USB controller thing, would it be possible to have the Pandora as a USB controller for the computer itself? I know I know of a few games that could use this... and now I can't remember which. ;P
I can`t see why it shouldn`t be possible, The GP32 was able to do this via it`s usb cable by running a small program on the GP32 itself.

Trooper

Thanks for all the answers, very informative. i was expecting more sarcastic and funny answers for #15.

anyway, i've got more questions.

16. is there a way to use a camera that stays on the back part of the pandora?(no ugly cables please)

17. will it be able to emulate the naomi sega board?(just for marvel vs capcom 2, capcom vs snk 2 and other fighting games)

18. will it be able to emulate CPS3

19. will it be easy to hack/mod?(extra buttons, internal bluetooth etc.)

20. will it have some scheduling apps out of the box?

21. will it be able to lock folders with a password?

22. could the designers add a camera?(out of the box or addon, doesnt matter as long that it has a camera and it doesnt have ugly cables)

23. will it be made of cheap plastic?

24. what about running mobile phone games on the pandora?(java and symbian)

25. there are any good(and smart) chess programs?(can they use the touchscreen as a mouse?)

26. Can it run mugen

27. can i use it as a mobile phone?

28. how long battery will last when hearing mp3 on the headphones?

16. Sort of.

17. Probably not.

18. Technically, it is able to. Whether somebody ports an emulator is another question.

19. yes

20. unknown

21. probably with a 3rd party encryption program

22. see #16

23. no, it will be made of expensive plastic

24. unknown

25. Look into chess games for the Amiga.

26. No. The source was never released. There are similar programs that may be ported.

27. You could use it for VOIP over wifi, but beyond that, no.

28. ~100 hours.

Chip said:
28. ~100 hours.
Holy Cow :eek: sweet :D
Chip said:
26. No. The source was never released. There are similar programs that may be ported.
can you show me that similar programs?

Back