Another Frustrated User

key7

Still Fresh
Website
8bitcollective.com
hello my name is olek
I have question about my brand new - used gp32
i've bought a console, but i dont have usb link cable. I have a card reader instead/
i unpacked gplauncher using gpex tool straight to my 16 mb smcard (i've bought it separately)
so i have an icon of launcher at my gp32, but when i try tu run it or start - nothing happens.

i cant see any fxe files, so i cannot run any games or stuff.
i think smcard is good, because I can play mp3 files
is it possible to run anything without link cable ?

please help noble experts, i am desperate :(
:))))

PS ; i've formated smcard using mkdosfsGUI using standart option (not advanced)

regards.

I assume if you can play mp3s you have the original Korean firmware. There are a couple of cracked freelaunchers floating around but getting them to work is a bit hit and miss. Search the forums for "cracked freelauncher" and see what you can turn up.

First, try holding "select" while you turn on the GP32. Chances are that the previous owner installed an alternative firmware, but had it boot into the standard korean fw as a default. We had that numerous times with used GP32s before. If not, you *will* need either a JTAG cable to flash an alternative firmware or a GP32 compatible USB cable (I think dealextreme had something that fits) to install the hacked freelauncher. No cables - No luck.

Thanx for the response (I thought GP32 section is dead already) :) you rocks.

I have freelauncher from here:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp32.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,1052
I think its the cracked one (?)

what kind of USB should I look for? Is there any substitute for the original one?!
and about JTAG and flashing - sounds complicated I'll check how to do it (Iam not an electronic :))

Be sure to format the card in FAT, I believe FAT16 is actually needed for the old GP32. I remember fussing about with my cards not reading at first and finally formatting it in FAT16.
Did you get a NON Lit original, a FLU or a BLU?

Great system still..

So, I've been asking Orkie, since I remembered him having solved the cable problem. You can buy a replacement cable/adapter here:

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.440

Still, try the select button while starting the GP32 before you buy it. You might be lucky after all.

@mark 1978: I've formated n FAT, using mkdosfsGUI and it is not working properly. I have standart non lite unit.
@ don: ok man thanx a lot!, I'll buy that one, thanx for the advice - I couldn't find it without your help.
I will write when I connect the console. :DDD

PS: select button doesn't work I've checked it many times. : )

don said:
you *will* need either a JTAG cable to flash an alternative firmware or a GP32 compatible USB cable
Absolutely fucking wrong where do you get this stuff, you dont need a usb or a jtag to flash. onless you bricked it then you need a jtag. He needs to get his card structured right first then he can flash all he wants off of the smc.

First off is your unit a flu, blu, or a blu+. Second if you formatted it in fat did you structure the card right and put the files in the proper places?
If you can get it to start seeing file i would recomend flashing the firmware, personaly i use slubman's firmware and its awsome. You can get it here Slubmans Firmware just make sure to get the right version if you have a blu+ and flash with non blu+ firmware then your fucked.

Last edited by a moderator:
bourbon said:
don said:
you *will* need either a JTAG cable to flash an alternative firmware or a GP32 compatible USB cable
Absolutely fucking wrong where do you get this stuff, you dont need a usb or a jtag to flash. onless you bricked it then you need a jtag. He needs to get his card structured right first then he can flash all he wants off of the smc.

First off is your unit a flu, blu, or a blu+. Second if you formatted it in fat did you structure the card right and put the files in the proper places?
If you can get it to start seeing file i would recomend flashing the firmware, personaly i use slubman's firmware and its awsome. You can get it here Slubmans Firmware just make sure to get the right version if you have a blu+ and flash with non blu+ firmware then your fucked.

Didn't you read properly? He has the original korean firmware, so most likely a NLU/FLU. That means - without a freelauncher - he can't even start an app that flashes the firmware. To install the freelauncher (no matter if it's a cracked freelauncher) to an unflashed GP32, you WILL need an usb cable. Alternatively, you can "hardflash" the firmware via JTAG all without running the firmware flasher on the GP32 itself, you just "burn" it to the fw rom/eprom/whatever it is.
So in his situation, no usb/jtag -> no game. Absolutely fucking right.

I don't know where bourbon shot-off there .. this is old memories on an old system, so right or wrong, shoudl be conversational. "oh hey, I think maybe you're wrong..".

I mean, sure, its an internet forum, so be a jerk if you like.. but I'd really rather people were cool to each other in _enthusiast_ forums :)

jeff

don said:
bourbon said:
don said:

Didn't you read properly? He has the original korean firmware, so most likely a NLU/FLU. That means - without a freelauncher - he can't even start an app that flashes the firmware. To install the freelauncher (no matter if it's a cracked freelauncher) to an unflashed GP32, you WILL need an usb cable. Alternatively, you can "hardflash" the firmware via JTAG all without running the firmware flasher on the GP32 itself, you just "burn" it to the fw rom/eprom/whatever it is.
So in his situation, no usb/jtag -> no game. Absolutely fucking right.

I was looking at a lit unit on ebay from the original owner (so they said) who was the user of the machine. I asked him if was going to include freelauncher on a card or cd or something. Now remember, this jerk said he used this machine to run emulators and that it was his machine. He writes me back, "hi.. I don't what a freelauncher is." So he was selling it as a perfect machine but with no cable and no freelauncher and was lying the whole time.

Chris

EDIT: To the OP, I don't know if you know this or not, but this page isn't an official GamePark website. It is a fansite, created, maintained and staffed by volunteers who create a gathering place for all knowledge GP. So while "Another frustrated user" might work at an official site where customer service is dished out, it can sometimes irritate the locals. Not that I am irritated, I'm just letting you know.

@christo930 youre right man, sorry. I really appreciate your help dudes.

so, I've just received an USB 4 my GP from dealerextreme. I've tried to install USB drivers and my XP still cant see the GP. I runned rwbulk.exe then I had black screen for a moment and nothing happened. How should I instal those drivers properly?

It's such a long time, and I only used the process once to install freelauncher and then Spiv's mfw... I recall that some people had problems with the USB drivers while it worked fine for other, but I don't remember any details, sorry. Best to check out the forums for pointers.

i had so much problems with usb cable. never work for me. i have to sold one at very low price on ebay last year, because i found no way to install custom firmware. Now i always buy gp32 that come with custom firmware. i bought 4 gp32 in my lie, 2 used one that have the usb port not working. even with all the drivers i tried. my father tried to build a jtag but it was too much effort , so i decided to sell it last year.

Did you found a way to get it working with fxe files ?

i remember there a self test to see if the usb is working. i dont remember how to do it.

I think there was a usb utility that helped a lot of people to get their gp32 recognized by their system. I will try to find a link...

EDIT: Okay, I wasn't able to find that tool but take a look at darkfader's homepage. There is a few links and downloads there, like updated gp32 drivers for WindowsXP. Maybe you can try a couple of those and see if that works for you and meanwhile somebody might remember what the hell that tool was called. I haven't had windowsxp running on my machine in years. I wonder if I still have that binary on CD somewhere...

key7 said:

so, I've just received an USB 4 my GP from dealerextreme. I've tried to install USB drivers and my XP still cant see the GP. I runned rwbulk.exe then I had black screen for a moment and nothing happened. How should I instal those drivers properly?

I was using Windows 2k at the time I set up my gp2x, but here is something worth trying:
Boot to safe mode and go into the device driver screen and remove ANY AND ALL instances of the gp32 driver. There will be an instance for every time you installed the driver (usually the case). Shut down the machine and then boot up in regular mode WITHOUT the cable attached to the pc. Right click on the INF file of the driver and select install, after the install reboot the pc and after it's booted up, plug in the cable and turn the gp32 on.
USB can be very flaky, especially if you plug the device in before installing the driver and once it doesn't work, it's difficult to get it working. If you go into the device manager, you won't see it installed, but if you boot in safe mode it's right there.

Hope it helps,

Chris

christo930 said:
key7 said:

I was using Windows 2k at the time I set up my gp2x, but here is something worth trying:
Boot to safe mode and go into the device driver screen and remove ANY AND ALL instances of the gp32 driver. There will be an instance for every time you installed the driver (usually the case). Shut down the machine and then boot up in regular mode WITHOUT the cable attached to the pc. Right click on the INF file of the driver and select install, after the install reboot the pc and after it's booted up, plug in the cable and turn the gp32 on.
USB can be very flaky, especially if you plug the device in before installing the driver and once it doesn't work, it's difficult to get it working. If you go into the device manager, you won't see it installed, but if you boot in safe mode it's right there.

Hope it helps,

Chris
aw man thanx Ill check this tomorrow.

Back