Android, Chrome OS & Ubuntu for Beagleboard - Current Bounty $425

I think Android and Ubuntu would be great but I've never used Chrome OS. From what I hear Conical is making huge strides on the ARM platform. Well, they have been for a while but now there is more steam since Microsoft is going to go ARM.

I don't know though, I might wait for a Mint version with xfce or lxde as the desktop before I make another OS my default. Mint makes both Debian and Ubuntu better. An ARM Mint has been suggested on the Mint forums also, so it might happen.

Do you want to know the good news, or the bad news? ;)

Good News

I've had another look at it, and I got the aiOs booting.

It seems to be Angstrom running Gnome with a large amount of other stuff in it... they also use a higher kernel version than ours by default, and when using our kernel, most of the drivers didn't sync up right ( touchscreen, 3D drivers, etc.. )

It probably wouldn't be too hard to sort this out though..

Bad News

It's multiOs thing stated that "There is not enough memory to run this version of Android"

I didn't bother checking Ubuntu or Chromium.

So.. I tried another method...

Good News

It started to boot Android!

Bad News

It didn't finish booting and reset the Pandora part way through.. that and it threw up an annoying splash screen covering the terminal.. sadly when I figured out how to remove it, it didn't shed much light as to why it decided to forcibly reboot the device.

This was, however, a quick fiddle within a spare couple of hours.

Additionally, the prebuilt OMAP3x 2.3 Android kit from TI does roughly the same thing, except it's splash screen is a tad mangled compared to Ai's version. The 2.2 Android kit doesn't boot at all.

I'll possibly have another look at it later on if no-one else has... but my plate's already quite full with work, Debian, GLESGAE and Extend Utils at the moment.

Im currently building android, dont expect it to go anywhere its mainly to teach me some stuff but you never know, ill let you know if I get anything to boot.

If that's the rowboat project, I've got a partial build of that from a while ago.. I have a feeling that it's not too fond of my 64bit machine as the build process died by the linker getting confused and trying to pull in host libraries.

I probably need to do the good 'ol 32bit chroot environment trick for it.. but that's something I need to get around to doing at some point anyway.

I might have another look into it tomorrow, unless you're happy to carry on by yourself :)

-edit-

Oh yea, and I tried Chromium from the aiOs package.. it didn't restart the Pandora, but it didn't fully boot either.

I also work on Debian, so I'm not going to bother with Ubuntu :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried to run android from the rowboat project. To summerize it: Android kernel won't work because of some driver issue. Ångström kernel won't work because some android services needs some special kernel hacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried to run android from the rowboat project. To summerize it: Android kernel won't work because of some driver issue. Ångström kernel won't work because some android services needs some special kernel hacks.

Guess it's time to build a Frankenstein kernel ;)

I need to build one for my next Debian release anyway..

mwahahaha just made a pic ^_^

these arent the droids you\'re looking for.jpg

Guess it's time to build a Frankenstein kernel ;)

I'm not sure what that is, but I like the sound of it! Do keep us posted of any progress.

@ESN : Thanks again for your tireless work with the WIKI, will try to remember to update the totals there is we get any more bounties on this thread.

:eek: will this kernal be functional or will its guts come out !!!! Find out next time when Stuckie builds a Frankenstein kernelsuperstar-zombie-tux-1963.png

zombie-tux.png

A very worthy endeavor!

Please include $50 from me in the bounty.

Personally, I am equally interrested in Ubuntu and Android, but getting either to run well on the Pandora will be very welcome.

A very worthy endeavor!

Please include $50 from me in the bounty.

Personally, I am equally interrested in Ubuntu and Android, but getting either to run well on the Pandora will be very welcome.

Cheers John D, have added your pledge to the first post and edited the sub title.

Back