And what about the DSP ?

Discussion in 'NEON / DSP' started by SladeCraven, Nov 15, 2011.

1. ivanovic

ivanovic Member

But all of this won't happen until someone with the time and knowledge to work on it steps up. Yeah, this is some non trival stuff that is significantly more difficult than getting the crosscompiler for some project to work and possibly replacing the default button mapping. Don't forget that those people with the really good knowledge of stuff tend to already have a really full plate.

2. SladeCraven

SladeCraven Still Fresh

I do not know if this sentence si targetted to me or not, but i changed 2 buttons in fact, and also the background color. :)

Anyway, i do not know if i will have time to schedule some DSP development for the Pandora, but i have the habit to deal with heterogenous/weird architectures (like : CPU+DSP, proprietary SIMDs from big ASIC companies, MIMDs withtout any compilation tools, etc, etc. ..., ...). So i am perfectly aware of the costs in terms of time and debug of this kind of develpements.

My question was mainly to clarify the current situation : is there somehting existing that can be re-used or do we start from scratch.

3. ivanovic

ivanovic Member

The current situation is basically that no one had the time and/or knowledge to successfully implement something making (real) use of the DSP. That is notaz managed to get the DSP itself running (somehow), but nobody has stepped up to really work on things since this is non trival stuff which might not be too helpful in most situations.

4. klaxonn

klaxonn Still Fresh

If not using DSP in applications, maybe we can try to use these codecs, it should be easier to do and it could be a good thing for the Pandora.

5. gotwake424

gotwake424 Member

We won't see 720p playback until the dsp is utilized :(

6. Linux-SWAT

Linux-SWAT Hardcore Member

Imho, beginning with a simple optimized app is the best approach.