Analog Content Security Preservation Act Of 2005

There's no way they could get that legalised.
Although I guess it is America, land of fear and deprivation.

WHAT... THE... FUCK... !?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

You've gotta be fuckin kidding me... the whole point of recording something is so that you can watch it again later... what's the point of even buying any kind of recording device if you have to watch it within an hour and a half after you recorded it? What the fuck, most movies are like 2 hours or longer... Seriously now, what the fuck... this is just as fuckin stupid as that bullshit sony does with their music CDs. Well, I guess it's a good thing I still have a VCR. Then again, if it doesn't pass, it won't really matter. I love old technology, don't all of you? Newer stuff is becoming too much of a hassle, and not even because it's difficult to use, but because of bullshit like this.

"Damnit! We're not making enough money off of our movies anymore... what can we do...?"
"HEY! I know!!! let's force the people who make recording devices change said devices so that whatever they record only lasts 90 minutes, and then it's gone. That'll make people want to go to movie theatres and pay for their movies instead of recording them on TV and getting them for free! HAH! Take that, people who recorded Back to the Future from Encore!"

Not only is it evil, but it's also completely fucking retarded. What's the point of recording something if you can't save it to watch it later anyway? This isn't gonna help the fuckin movie industry or whoever the hell's pissing and moaning about losing money because of the evil consumers and their desire to watch and rewatch/listen to the movies/music they want to... It's only gonna make shit worse because people aren't gonna waste 130 bucks on a new DVR or DVD recorder or whatever the hell if they can't keep what they record anyway. This makes no more sense than filling your gas tank and then draining it an hour later... what the fuck was the point? holy shit, this better not pass... if it does, our lawmakers are officially a bunch of stupid fucktards.

Its the first phase in the plan to stop us recording stuff and getting us to just pay every time to watch something. Soon it will all be VOD and micropayments. that way we never have the media, they just beam it to us. blueyonders teleport is the first step in the uk implementation of this. Secret is to do it slowly, offer something new, then restrict it, public will never notice. That'll stop them pesky pirates...NOT

The idea is that the tv station can embed into the video stream a code that specifies how long you can keep something. Most people think the norm will be 2 weeks but it could be anything. They can even mark a program as non-recordable then you can't record it at all.

Google TiVO or follow the link in the article and check out the forum posts, lots of pissed off tivo owners just got a drm 'upgrade' to thier tivo so that the machine complies with this ruling.

Edit:
The 90 Min thing is only for "copy prohibited" content, ie the stuff they say you can't copy at all. This allows for timeshifting on your PVR but doesn't allow actual storage and replay.

holy shit, this better not pass... if it does, our lawmakers are officially a bunch of stupid fucktards.
Fucktards who are financed in large part by the major media organisations. They have already paid to have the dmc brought in. What makes you think thy won't just buy this legislation as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that is amazing what happens when money talks instead of brains.

It's amazing to see how copyright management systems and digital right management systems are all making daily life literally impossible. Copying copyrighted materials to extremes is not good, but protecting it like crazy making life miserable for a lot of people is just insane.

Is that the BS where when you take the DVD out and the oxygen hits it and it expires after time?
No, this is all about broadcast video and storage. PVR/VHS/dvd recorders. How the manufacturer implements it is up to them but it has to comply with the premise that media (as in content not physical storage) can be time limited.

On PVR its easy, just delete off the disk after the date has passed. I'm guessing here but I think for vhs the player would refuse to play an expired recording so all you can use the tape for is recording over, dvd rw would be the same, dvd r would just render the disk expired and you could only throw it away.

This is so far only speculation and there has only been one known case of a broadcaster using the flag (and then they did it by mistake).

There is also the issue of HTPC, will developers of pvr software have to be licenced too? If so will the licence fee put the home developers off of creating better software and therefore limit fair competition in the marketplace? This is so far the best idea for an appeal if this becomes law.

All a bit depressing really :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt this will get passed.

Even if it does, there will be modchips that you can buy for VCRs and DVD Players to get around this.

If they try to make it so you have to download it from the internet to get it, and then it can only go to your TV one time, all someone has to fucking do is put a box between the TV and the Video Player that will record it.

Back