Release amp - Arcade Music Player

Bagera

Still Fresh
I've been following the panda for a year or so but have not posted (I think) in the forums since I have not had anything interesting to say.
Now I got, in my opinion.
I had an idea of a game/music player hybrid. Either you just listen to music or play casual arcade games with the music.
The idea is to have classic games like tetris and ballbreaker (taken into the third dimension) but also more specialized games that get into the music like Audiosurf.

I am a grafic designer working mostly with ui and web and do not know any programming. I am not totaly lost as I work with programmers every day but I can not make this on my own.

If you are interested in helping me on the programming side just leave a note here.

If you wanna comment that's ok too :). Even a small amount of flame eis ok

Well, my comment to this:
The situation is as follows: We're going to have, as you surely already know, the Ångström distribution installed as the default OS on the Pandora.
Now, what this distribution has (as have many modern distributions, actually) is a sound system called PulseAudio (some of you already know where I'm going...) which basically enables you to redirect your audio streams in different ways (think: streaming your sound over the network, using different audio plug-ins such as equalizers etc). This has made systems like projectM possible: Programs that "listen" to the audio output of the sound system and do things with the sound, such as displaying various visuals, or using the sound info to generate game data.
Considering that many users of the Pandora are going to be used to a Linux environment, since they're using Linux desktops, they're probably going to want to have a certain freedom; for example the freedom to be able to chose exactly which music player you want to use.

My point is that it's probably a not-so-good idea to try to integrate a music player in this game/music hybrid of yours. There are already a lot of different excellent music players, so there wouldn't really be a point in developing yet another player, especially since you can use an external one through PulseAudio and achieve the same effect in your games.

But otherwise, this is an excellent idea, and I hope someone will pick up this project (I myself am busy as heck right now...); it might become something high-quality if you work enough on it.

Comments about the design: It looks really really good, however: we're currently viewing it on a computer screen with surrounding bright pixels, and thus the whole layout probably'll look very different on the Pandora, since the surrounding black panels of the LCD create a contrast. So, your primarily white design isn't going to be too nice on the eyes with that level of brightness. But I do like the rounded, soft, b&w design style; even if it's quite common these days it still looks nice :p

I really love the design. And I think it can be a good idea. It's always good to have alternatives, and your idea is good :)

The idea is not really to make a standalone music player. It's more the ability to choose the songs ingame and to be able to pause the game and still listen to music. If this could be based on a existing project that would be great.

Thanks for the feedback on the design too. Maybe I will try a more grey design so it doesn't pop as much.

MAde a splash screen thingie too

Hells_Dark said:
Games on music would be cool. But quite difficult to develop imo.
And about pulseaudio, are you sure it will be the angstrom default ?
It was mentioned by a dev on gp32x; they'll probably confirm it again when seeing this post.

And it really would be easier to use PulseAudio for this kind of thing; building a good music player even for game usage is quite difficult. Why reinvent the wheel?
You'd be able to pause the player or whatever you want through media player plug-ins, hotkeys on the keyboard, a front-end for the player in the game application, or the multiple desktop feature of any modern Linux desktop. You'd also be able to integrate projectM or similar directly into the game application (if you wanted to) by using Qt redirecting or the libprojectm library. The possibilities aren't endless, but certainly less limited, when using an external media player.

love the initial design concepts i would deffently like to see your graphical talent used on the pandora sometime :).

I would definitely like to contribute to a Panda project :). If anyone out there needs help PM me

Back