Amiga Floppy Disks

culturepunk

Still Fresh
Website
www.rlve.co.uk
I have about 2000 amiga floppy disks with my amiga in the loft and have been thinking of transfering them into adfs. Unfortunatly my amiga has died so cant transfer using that.

What hardware/software do I need to be able to read them on my PC? I heard of the catweasel controller but that doesnt seem to be being made no more. Is there a USB drive or something you can get that will read amiga disks?

Mutilator said:
well probably easier to find roms of your games then
:( Its not the games really Im after, I have alot of old games I wrote in Amos and artwork and stuff and the like saved to amiga disks.

Iorgy77 said:
With 2 floppy drives in a windows xp computer you can image your floppy disks to adf.

http://www.winuae.net/files/adfread-1.1.zip

:) Might try out that if I can find 2 floppy drives and a double cable. Might have some lying around somewhere. Damn will have to install windows XP too :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
BlueAchenar said:
There's a new batch of Catweasel Mk IV PCI cards coming out in October. Never used one though. My old faithful Amiga 500 is enough. :)

Look here!

:( Cant do the disk drive thing, my motherboard doesnt support 2 drives. Damn.

Arg steep price, only want it for maybe 100 disks or something. Might go see if I can pick up a A1200 or something cheap instead. I think I still have one of them cables somewhere to huck up an old PC harddisk to one, so could transfer everything on to that then put it in my PC. (maybe) Does anyone think that would work?

Iorgy77 said:
With 2 floppy drives in a windows xp computer you can image your floppy disks to adf.

That's exactly how I did my miggy backups years ago! Worked with most of them too! I could never get the program to work that was supposed to dump from my A500 to my PC...
The easiest way has already been suggested, which is to search the internet... which is up to you how you feel about that. :ph34r:

PokeParadox said:
Iorgy77 said:

That's exactly how I did my miggy backups years ago! Worked with most of them too! I could never get the program to work that was supposed to dump from my A500 to my PC...
The easiest way has already been suggested, which is to search the internet... which is up to you how you feel about that. :ph34r:

:lol: I can't find all my little games, programs and creative stuff I used to make on the net, thats what I need this for really.

Ive just seen the serial transfer thing on that site with the catweasel on. Does anyone know how this works or has any info on it?

You need an Amiga to transfer your disks by serial cable. It's how I transfer mine. I bought an Amiga 1200 from eBay UK for about 40£ last year. If you get a similar price, it would be cheaper than a Catweasel. You can also image your disks to an Amiga hard drive and connect it to the PC or you may connect a PCMCIA CompactFlash reader to your Amiga and transfer the images with the card.

BlueAchenar said:
You need an Amiga to transfer your disks by serial cable. It's how I transfer mine. I bought an Amiga 1200 from eBay UK for about 40£ last year. If you get a similar price, it would be cheaper than a Catweasel. You can also image your disks to an Amiga hard drive and connect it to the PC or you may connect a PCMCIA CompactFlash reader to your Amiga and transfer the images with the card.
Yeah Im thinking the compact flash option will be best way to go ATM. I think one of my friends has an amiga 4000/30 I could borrow. Does anyone know if this has a PCMCIA slot?

*** EDIT ***

hmm looks like doesnt from a quick search. :( ha ha Ill come up with something anyway. Thanks for your help everyone!

The cheapest and easiest method would probably be to get an Amiga 1200 from an ad mag or car boot sale. They can usually be found for about £10. Then make a 720kb disk on the pc and use that disk to transfer the files over to PC.
Then sell the Amiga and get you £10 back

Back