Amiga Fans?how Many People Own Amiga.pandora Emulation Will Be Cool.

MDave said:
Am I the only one here that hasn't actually played/used an Amiga or even seen the games for it until the Pandora videos of it running Amiga? :eek:

What makes Amiga great? :)

Yeah, I could look it up on the net or Wikipedia, but would rather hear from those that want it so much on the Pandora ;)

I loved the Amiga for games and graphic design but I also loved the Scene demos. The Amiga was just so powerful for it's time. The demo below although written in the early 90s runs happily on 1987 A500 Kickstart 1.3 hardware with a half meg expansion (A whopping 1MB total :) )and may have even run on the earlier Kickstart 1.2 A500

The demo runs from floppy disk and starts 2 seconds after the floppy was inserted into the Amiga.

WARNING contains strobe effects.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an A600 for my birthday, bundled with Putty, Pushover, Microprose Grand Prix.... And my parents also brought me Street fighter 2, which I'd never seen before. When it's disk drive finally gave up I was all kinds of distraught! Bought another one of ebay a couple of years ago :)

I think the reason a lot of people remember Amiga so fondly is that there was such a variety of quality software, everyone had their favourite. Also, the amiga had the best controller ever, anyone remember the black and yellow zipsticks?

I think, when I get my hands on the Pandora I'll be giving Frontier another shot. May have been too young for it the first time around!

I used the Amiga for digital photography.
It had the then amazing HAM (Hold and Modify) mode which gave it 2096 colors.
I bought the video digitizer, which used a color wheel to make digital copies of my photos.
Then, I got the Casio VS-101 still video camera, which recorded images onto special mini discs.
I used that with the digitizer, and an added video color separator to capture the images to my Amiga hard drive.
The hard drive, by the way, was a 40 MB drive, which had to be partitioned into two 20MB sections to be able to be read.

That drive cost me something like $600, for 40MB.
I just bought a 1TB drive for $89. The equivalent price from 1987 for the 40MB drive would be 15 MILLION dollars.

Amazing how the technology advances.
I was the first person I knew who had "gone digital" with photography, and my server has all my images since 1992.
Sadly, the Amiga images never got converted to another computer, and were lost.

j.pickens said:
I used the Amiga for digital photography.
It had the then amazing HAM (Hold and Modify) mode which gave it 2096 colors.
I bought the video digitizer, which used a color wheel to make digital copies of my photos.
Then, I got the Casio VS-101 still video camera, which recorded images onto special mini discs.
I used that with the digitizer, and an added video color separator to capture the images to my Amiga hard drive.
The hard drive, by the way, was a 40 MB drive, which had to be partitioned into two 20MB sections to be able to be read.

That drive cost me something like $600, for 40MB.
I just bought a 1TB drive for $89. The equivalent price from 1987 for the 40MB drive would be 15 MILLION dollars.

Amazing how the technology advances.
I was the first person I knew who had "gone digital" with photography, and my server has all my images since 1992.
Sadly, the Amiga images never got converted to another computer, and were lost.

I'm impressed :) HAM was 4096 colours by the way but that's splitting hairs. Digizing stuff back then was a serious achievement nice one :)

Still have my A500, A600 and an A1200 with an accelerated A6030 chip(or something like that) and an 80MB hardrive. I used the machine for animations on Deluxe paint, as well as using a package called "Take 2" for line testing pencil animation using digiamiga. Also had photogenics and another digitizer begining with the letter "P" - can't remember the name of it as it's been awhile.
Altough it was primarily used as an animation tool for me, I did enjoy playing Banshee, Speedball 2, Chaos Engine, Super Streetfighter 2, Shadow Fighter, Cannon Fodder, Sensible Soccer, Rodland, Alien Breed 3D, Quack and Syndicate.

A500 followed a few years later by an A1200. Psygnosis games were amazing. Speedball 2, Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder series, X-com, Stunt Car Racer, Z-out, so many great games! Really looking forward to it on a handheld! :)

Found an A500 in the garbage without anything, not even a power supply or a mouse. I don't even know if it works. I figure, at the very least, that entitles me to a kickstart ROM. For an emulator :)

I'll take notes of which games to try by reading topics like this one. I've downloaded tons and tons of stuff, but it's heard to separate the wheat from the chaff. I hear "Amiga Forever" is a good place to start for disk images.

I have a 1200 but the floppy drive stopped working and I can't get a network card adapter to work. So basically I can't get any games on the 4gig HD and I can't play games off floppy. :( very sad

Used to own an A500 and an A1200. Oh, the Amiga had so many great games. I think I still have all the disks somewhere. Most multiplatform games at the time had the best music on Amiga, and let's not forget the difference in smooth and fast scrolling between PC and Amiga at the time. And it had some truly great art and music programs too: Disney Animator, MovieSetter, OctaMED, Personal Paint, Photogenics... I'm going to have a long trip down memory lane when I get my Pandora, and go through some of the best games in my Amiga library again. Good times, good times.

One of the best points was the music. The various trackers made it great for making music - with the best tracker being Octamed (IMHO sure some people will dissagree)

I very quickly sold my Atari ST after seeing/hearing the intros to Blood Money and the incredible music on Ghouls & Ghosts.

Some of the best games IMO:

Lemmings
Dungeon Master
SuperCars 2
Lotus Turbo Esprit
Gods
Magic Pockets
Xenon (2 was good but Xenon was where it was at - TRUE arcade quality at the time)
Virus

The one game that the Atari ST had that the amiga did not was Super Sprint (very good version the st but I digress)

Fullspeed* Amiga emulation is the only reason why I bought the Pandora.

*at least for Amiga 500

OMG, I was reading the minimig sites and watching the videos of it on youtube, after the death of my A1200 and using PC's for sooo many years, I had forgotten how godawefull slow a PC OS running on a dual core 2.8 Ghz cpu and Nvidia GFX was compared to an Amiga at 7mhz with Alice,Paula and Denise, that desktop was SOOO much better than anything I am currently using, Magic Workbench made things even slicker.

Curse you Magic Sam!, my wallet is getting an urge to disgorge it's contents :unsure: (again), is there no end to the wonderful gizmos available on the intertubes?

100 Amiga games to give you non Amiga owners a taste of what the Amiga was like as a gaming platform back in the day and to remind Amiga owners of some of the classics. B)

The need for a portable Amiga-like machine is the reason the Pandora exists. It was always what I wanted from a hand held device, I thought we would see something similar by 2001, and each year after the urge to make it grew.

I remember drawing out ideas for a Pandora style device in about 1998 which had a black and white gameboy-ish screen, and I wanted some kind of basic modem in it for email. My hope then was for Spectrum and other 8 bit emulation on it. I was sure Amstrad would do a portable version of their emailer which we could have hacked, but they never did. Then the GP32 came along...

I can not wait to load up my Pandora with hundreds of Amiga titles and just flick between them, I've avoided doing it on any other handheld to any extent because the controls are just not right for it.

As people have said, the Amiga just has such an amazing cross section of software and a huge freeware scene, some of the best games were free and on cover disks. I absolutely loved Deluxe Pacman, Tetris Pro, and remember that cover disk where they managed to compress 101 games on to it? Just looking though them was great fun.

I never had an Amiga back in the day (I knew two people who had them, and did get to play a few games, though), but I have bought a few games - as well as gotten a ton of great legally-freely-released titles from Back to the Roots - since I picked up Amiga Forever 2008. Better late than never, eh? :D

Games-wise, I particularly like Sleepwalker, Fire and Ice, Lemmings, Superfrog, Wonder Dog (though I prefer the Mega CD version - they're fairly different), BC Kid (I've never seen another Amiga title offer a two-button joystick setting - did many games do this?), Chuck Rock, and Another World, amongst others. :D The Nipper Versus The Kats demo that was made for HMV (it's made from a stripped-down Fire and Ice engine) is quite fun, too.

I still need to pick up Putty, come to think of it. :D

These games bring back some good memories. I need to prepare an SD card with an Amiga collection.

This device is going to burn away my spare time :)

Back