Amazing Price For Linux Laptop!

lol... I think it's quite obviously a scam. I can't believe people still fall for shit like that. Let's see how the phoronix order turns out... if they get it, they will smash the laptop anyway.

It'll be funny if it is a scam, but those phoronix people receive one to trick loads of other people ordering from them :p

I'd bet the ASUS one ends up being about $299, I don't understand when using Linux why stick to X86 anyway? They are just making themselves a huge power drain.

What we need is that sort of thing with an arm cpu or 2.... I wonder if such a thing is in the works? ... :rolleyes:

I was very excited about the Eee PC when I first heard of it, but now I'm starting to have my doubts. For one, a 7" screen is very small, only twice the diagonal of the GP2X screen, and it's meant to be a notebook. The 10" model will of course be an improvement, but I still wouldn't choose it over my current 14" laptop screen. The price of the 10" Eee PC will likely increase as well, making it less of a great deal, considering the lowering prices of low-end regular notebooks (especially 2nd hand).

The battery life is very crummy, too: 3 hours? Come on, my used laptop lasts 4 hours, and it was made in 2000. I'll give it something though, 512Mb of RAM is a great thing to have. I wonder what the CPU's speed is?

For compact design and around £600+ I've also been checking out this (some models have touch screen now);

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

unfortunately, I've heard its not very powerful, although the offical site has more details but I can't read it :(

http://www.kohjinsha.com/index.html

more info with video (not the best 1 they do).
http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/review-73-...insha+UMPC.html

Via also have an offering for $600
http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/05/via-int...raportable-lap/

loving these ultra portables but just wish they had more power! :D

anymore out there to check out?

p.s. for cpu there is also an Intel A110 around somewhere but I can't find the model, I believe it's a Fujitsu.

the eeepc looks pretty intresting anyone know when its being released. also does it have a svideo/tv out port?

i have been thinking about getting a EEE pc for a while but with ebay prices and the way laptops are costing less and less you can get twice the machine for just a few quid more...

i was going to try and install winxp on it and then get continuum (game) loaded onto it (its got a very nice IRC style chat), its just another reason to not get out of bed though having a minature portable laptop...

Everyone looks for fakes :) It's a sign of the times I guess... :/

When it gets showed on a consumer electronics type show and someone cams it and posts it on Youtube, I'll buy one. Until then, I'm looking for the $199 Asus eee pc, but the 10" one. Or a tablet pc.

I'm interested in this topic, if you guys know a small zippy thing that will let me code web pages and surf/email without an external mouse but with wireless internet, PLEEEEASE guide me right (money coming in you see... :))

i have been thinking well if i was to put xp on it will it have the disk space to do so? because its around 2 gigs for xp so that means you will have no space left and i am not sure if it will work :blink:

I'm interested in this topic, if you guys know a small zippy thing that will let me code web pages and surf/email without an external mouse but with wireless internet, PLEEEEASE guide me right

Is that not a description of a Nintendo DS ? :eek:

tim0391 said:
i have been thinking well if i was to put xp on it will it have the disk space to do so? because its around 2 gigs for xp so that means you will have no space left and i am not sure if it will work :blink:
xp on what ? this £100 laptop ?

its got a decent size hard disk so should be fine, the eeepc uses a flash drive, but im sure theres enough room for xp on it (ive never seen xp take 2GB right after install)

Last edited by a moderator:
yes that is true and they did say it can run xp so it should work. it would mean that you would have to have everything else on a portable hard drive or a usb stick tho

withonly 4gb hard drive and windows xp on it the best thing for it would be to turn it into a emulator laptop.

....maybe 1 day some1 could code the gp2x o/s onto it

Back