Am I The Stupidest Man Alive?

Bluefrog

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Can somebody please tell me how to convert dvds to mpegs so I can compress them in virtual dub and watch em? I have virtual dub, I have software to decrypt my movies... but when I used it It came out as like a million other files, which I have no idea what to do with.
SOMEBODY HELP ME. I will die if I can't watch "once upon a time in mexico" away from my house.

Don't worry buddy, I'm farther up on the stupid list than you for sure.

If you search around the net you'll find all sorts of DVD rippers that will do what you want ;)

And it`s recommended to rip them as Avi (=DivX/XviD; use DVDx -> search google for it), as that is VirtualDubs preferred video format.

if you would rip them to avi you would encode them twice, that is bullshite.

dvd==mpeg2 btw
rip the dvd with smartripper, encode the vob's(mpeg's) with vritualdub mod or use the vfapi input plugin for the normal virtualdub. i recomend virtualdubmod.

Vimacs posted on Apr 6 2005 at 11:36 AM said:
if you would rip them to avi you would encode them twice, that is bullshite.

Thanks, thats the way I`m doing it <_<

And it always worked perfectly.
I most of the time have trouble when I try to do something witrh mpeg&vdub.

Well, as I think of it, there are other reasons for me to rip them as DivX... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I use virtualdub mod, and for "protected" DVDs I use dvdshrink to rip them (which is free btw. :) )

@quiest: are you really doing it that way? LOL, that probably takes a lot of time.

Well, I`m ripping them directly down to cd size for my DivX player, too :) (of course only the dvds I own ;))

Quiest posted on Apr 6 2005 at 04:48 PM said:
Well, I`m ripping them directly down to cd size for my DivX player, too :) (of course only the dvds I own ;))
yea of course ;)

Alright, let's see here...

Smartripper : Check
Virtualdub Mod : Check

Me : Soooo confused.

Could someone help me through the process? Ive ripped Once Upon a Time in Mexico, *my own dvd, by the way* and uploaded a vob of the first half hour or so into virtual dub, for an hour or so it began like, previewing the movie thus far, and then stopping... and I have no idea where to go from there.

Could someone give me an idea of how I use virtual dub please? It amazes me how little I actually know about computers, having been raised with one.

can virtualdub convert VOB files?

if it can, just rip a dvd in IFO mode using dvddecrypter. you would change settings to no file splitting, and pick movie file, then rip away. you'll end up with a fat un processed VOB(mpeg2 dvd) file that you can chuck away at virtualdub!

dvddecrypter is a lot more user friendly that smartripper(last i remember), so check it out!
still having issues, post back

junker posted on Apr 16 2005 at 07:59 PM said:
can virtualdub convert VOB files?
yes, but you'll have to use virtualdub mod, im not sure if the "normal" virtualdub can convert vob files.

Edit: just use dvdshrink to rip it to your drive, then use virtualdub, so easy :)

Back