Alternate Firmwares/ Operating Systems

FFNoir

I
Website
Visit site
So are there any efforts currently to create an OS for the 2X other than just modifications of the current one (i.e. an OS that actually looks and feels different)? While I do like the current OS for simplicity and ease of use, I think a new one should be made that caters more towards developer and power users. I think we should either: 1. Port a more advanced version of Linux 2. Port another open OS (bit harder because of compatability issues) or 3. Create an entirely new OS specifically for the GP2X. As good as the GPH firmware is, it still doesn't cater to power users who want entire control over their machine. And i'm not just talking about writing scripts to produce results. I'm talking menus to handle all the different facets of the system. I'm sorry if I sound like i'm ranting, but when I first heard about the 2X running Linux, I was thinking the whole shell in the background, really clean interface that offers alot of options.

Edit: oops sorry, wasn't thinking (really early morning here). Please move it to the Cool Ideas/Wishes Section mods.

So are there any efforts currently to create an OS for the 2X other than just modifications of the current one (i.e. an OS that actually looks and feels different)? While I do like the current OS for simplicity and ease of use, I think a new one should be made that caters more towards developer and power users. I think we should either: 1. Port a more advanced version of Linux 2. Port another open OS (bit harder because of compatability issues) or 3. Create an entirely new OS specifically for the GP2X. As good as the GPH firmware is, it still doesn't cater to power users who want entire control over their machine. And i'm not just talking about writing scripts to produce results. I'm talking menus to handle all the different facets of the system. I'm sorry if I sound like i'm ranting, but when I first heard about the 2X running Linux, I was thinking the whole shell in the background, really clean interface that offers alot of options.

Edit: oops sorry, wasn't thinking (really early morning here). Please move it to the Cool Ideas/Wishes Section mods.

It's already there.
Turn on usb networking, plug into your XP box/modprobe usbnet, telnet to it, and bada-bing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back