Why Do We Need Linux

My long term plans are to create programs for both the gp2x and pc so that the usb cable is used for multiple uses - eg. terminal, file transfer, etc. Of course, this means you can no longer just redirect the output of bash to the pc, and must instead be piped to a seperate program running on the 2x which will packetise the data and send it to the pc.

However, I think being able to run 'make' on the pc, and seeing the resulting file fly down the usb cable to the 2x, and then start running with all it's output coming back up the usb cable will be enough for inconvience of having to run another small program on the 2x and pc. With it running in the background, we could do other stuff too (operated from the pc), like killing a runaway process on 2x, taking screenshots, managing the nand, etc...

and then only a matter of hours to have an (admittedly rather slow) port of a Jaguar emulator running. :)

Sorry to hijack this thread, but, purely out of interest (and because I was under the impression that Jaguar was waaaaaay overpowered for a 2x, what with having 4 CPUs and a total of over 100MHz of processing power between them or something crazy), how slow is rather slow? Are we talking 1fps, 5fps, or something that might actually be approaching the "well it's slow now, but it looks promising" level?

Last edited by a moderator:
My long term plans are to create programs for both the gp2x and pc so that the usb cable is used for multiple uses - eg. terminal, file transfer, etc. Of course, this means you can no longer just redirect the output of bash to the pc, and must instead be piped to a seperate program running on the 2x which will packetise the data and send it to the pc.

However, I think being able to run 'make' on the pc, and seeing the resulting file fly down the usb cable to the 2x, and then start running with all it's output coming back up the usb cable will be enough for inconvience of having to run another small program on the 2x and pc. With it running in the background, we could do other stuff too (operated from the pc), like killing a runaway process on 2x, taking screenshots, managing the nand, etc...

Wow! Yes please Squidge! B)

and then only a matter of hours to have an (admittedly rather slow) port of a Jaguar emulator running. :)

Sorry to hijack this thread, but, purely out of interest (and because I was under the impression that Jaguar was waaaaaay overpowered for a 2x, what with having 4 CPUs and a total of over 100MHz of processing power between them or something crazy), how slow is rather slow? Are we talking 1fps, 5fps, or something that might actually be approaching the "well it's slow now, but it looks promising" level?

It's a bit slow now, but looks promising. :D

I posted some info about it over in this thread. I've been discussing it with the emulator's creator and we've picked out a nice chunk of the emulated graphics processor to move into the GP2X's second ARM. He's also tinkering with ways to make emulating the Jag's RISC chips a lot less expensive in real CPU power, so hopefully I'll be able to turn the sound back on when I get the next version of the emulator core from him.

I can't promise 60fps or anything, but we'll do our best to squeeze as much speed as we can out of it. I'll post more news over in the Jaguar emulation thread when I have some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back