Alizarin Tetris For Gp2x

nemonoid

Still Fresh
Hi all,
I've managed to get Alizarin Tetris ported and running on the GP2X. Alizarin Tetris is one of the best Tetris clones I have come across. This is my first attempt at a port to the GP2X.

There are still some issues with parts of the game expecting keyboard input, such as the network address for multipler and player name entry, but apart from that, game is perfectly playable. You can host a network game on your GP2X and play 2 Player v's a player on your PC.

Alizarin Tetris is available for Windows, Linux and BeOS at the original homepage

You can download the GP2X version from here.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for the keyboard input problem as I'm not really a C coder at heart. Any bug reports, fixes, suggestions, etc are welcomed.

--
nemonoid

Seems to crash back to the menu for me.

I'm using firmware 2.0.0 with a non-first edition GP2X (not MK2).

lancelott posted on May 17 2006 at 07:58 PM said:

That doesn't matter. The hardware is basically the same, this will not affect things.

Last edited by a moderator:
PSyMastR posted on May 18 2006 at 01:07 AM said:

That doesn't matter. The hardware is basically the same, this will not affect things.

The issue seems to be caused by WinRar not preserving the case of filenames when extracting the .bz2 on Windows. Has anyone else come across this before?

I've created a .zip to see if this solves the issue and it's available here, I'll be able to test on Windows tomorrow.

--
nem

nemonoid posted on May 17 2006 at 05:49 PM said:
PSyMastR posted on May 18 2006 at 01:07 AM said:

The issue seems to be caused by WinRar not preserving the case of filenames when extracting the .bz2 on Windows. Has anyone else come across this before?

I've created a .zip to see if this solves the issue and it's available here, I'll be able to test on Windows tomorrow.

--
nem
No. I already tested this. In Windows (looked in Windows Explorer), they were Z.bmp, W.bmp, etc. In GP2X Linux, they were z.bmp, w.bmp, etc. It's some conflict between the SD driver or FAT driver or something. I don't know why you didn't have the problem. Maybe you're just lucky. The filenames were the same in their respective OSs, and they did not change to either one indefinitely with both.

You can host a network game on your GP2X and play 2 Player v's a player on your PC.

That's freakin insane! Nice work!

Now all we need is a true online game for the GP2X. This would be a great game for that.

Well but they would have to sue the creators of the game first wouldn't they? Well and we could prevent the nintendo guys from going ape on us by just removing the "tetris" from the name of the download link etc.. and Huzzah! It's made legal for the moment at least...

EDIT: Also: Why the hell do they get to use things like "Omg we will loose oh so much money because of you" as reasons for their lawsuits? I'd be like "Quit whining, you've got enough money! We are the ones loosing money and getting close to being broke because of you buying everything on the market out".
It really seems like monopolism if you ask me. Also if it isn't a direct copyright infringement, how come they can still put so much legal pressure on people? I understand that having tetris in a 3rd party game's name is a copyright infringement but 'tris or something like that???

No worky for me either FW 2.0 :( I start the GPE, get a black screen and lock up. Bummer.

I might as well say that it works fine for me. It's a nice to have a gravity-aware tetris game on the go. Very fun :)

Edit: On linux; on firmware 2.0

DaveC posted on May 19 2006 at 06:03 AM said:
No worky for me either FW 2.0 :( I start the GPE, get a black screen and lock up. Bummer.

iignotus posted on May 19 2006 at 06:12 AM said:
I might as well say that it works fine for me. It's a nice to have a gravity-aware tetris game on the go. Very fun :)

Edit: On linux; on firmware 2.0

Just wondering if everyone having problems is using Windows on the desktop? I think the issue is caused by the filename case not being preserved when you copy across from Windows. You should see an error about graphics/Z.bmp not found if you launch from the command line. If this is the case I'll try get a Windows machine to test on and edit the source to use all lowercase filenames.

--
nem

I am running Windows XP SP2 and have the 2.0 FW on my 2X

I enabled telnet server on the 2x and used hyper terminal to telnet in and launch the gpe file. Here is the log:

Code:
Linux 2.4.25 (gp2x) (ttyp0)ocating 256 bytes		  

gp2x login: root	  
[root@gp2
[root@gp2x root]$exec /mnt/sd/atris/atis.gpeket of 4624128 bytes @ 0x17ec98			 
sh: /mnt/sd/atris/atis.gpe: No such file or directoryt	   
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager allocated 256 bytes
sh: exec: /mnt/sd/atris/atis.gpe: cannot execute: No such file or directoryn		  | Video Mode: 640 x 480 @ 16 bpp0.1.0.234 failed (Called name no
[root@gp2x root]$exec /mnt/sd/atris/atris.gpe non-black color found at magnitude 4.ession 
main		  |		 Welcome to Alizarin Tetris (version 1.0.7 - Delay)							  
Password:		 
ERROR: smbfs filesystem 
main		  |		 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (May 17 2006)			 
SDL_GP2X: Creating cursor 16x16
SDL_GP2X: Allocated WMcursor @ 0x1789e8 (32)
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager allocating 256 bytes
SDL_SYS_JoystickInit
main		  | SDL initialized.
SDL_GP2X: ListModes
SDL_GP2X: Setting video mode 640x480 16 bpp, flags=90000000
SDL_GP2X: FreeHWSurfaces
SDL_GP2X: InitHWSurfaces 0x40097000, 4624384
SDL_GP2X: Screen bucket 0x177f8c
SDL_GP2X: First free bucket 0x17ec68 (size = 4624384)
SDL_GP2X: Creating cursor 16x16
SDL_GP2X: Allocated WMcursor @ 0x17ec80 (32)
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager allocating 256 bytes
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager adding new free bucket of 4624128 bytes @ 0x17ec98
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager allocated 256 bytes at 0x40097000
main		  | Video Mode: 640 x 480 @ 16 bpp

I'm on firmware 2.0, and using WinXP, and it goes to a black screen and locks up.

Using the GP2X explorer I see several of the filenames in the graphics folder have lower case where they should be upper. I then took the SD card out and put it in a reader attached to my PC, and the same files that showed lower case on the 2X showed upper case in XP???

I then renamed I.bmp to i.bmp and back to I.bmp in XP - but when I put the card back in the 2X it still showed as i.bmp.

Paladin posted on May 21 2006 at 06:44 PM said:
I'm on firmware 2.0, and using WinXP, and it goes to a black screen and locks up.

Using the GP2X explorer I see several of the filenames in the graphics folder have lower case where they should be upper. I then took the SD card out and put it in a reader attached to my PC, and the same files that showed lower case on the 2X showed upper case in XP???

I then renamed I.bmp to i.bmp and back to I.bmp in XP - but when I put the card back in the 2X it still showed as i.bmp.

There seems to be an issue with Windows when you copy files to the SD card using a reader. It renames any single character filenames to lowercase (e.g. I.bmp to i.bmp). It doesn't seem to have an affect if the filename (excluding extension) is more than 1 character (e.g. Vert-Dark.bmp). If you copy files across using the network connection, either with SMB or FTP all is fine (from my tests in Windows anyway).

I think the best thing I can do at this stage is to change the code to user all lowercase filenames. I'll upload a new version shortly.

--
nem

I got tired of waiting for another release, so I figured out how to telnet to my GP2X. I used the telnet session to rename the single character filenames in the graphics directory to upper case. This fixed the problem, and the game now runs.

Just thought I'd post the results for anyone else itching for some Tetris action.

I had the same issue. I'll just wait for the new version.

Back